Malibu Kayak -Speed

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?

Malibu Kayak -Speed

Postby banga196 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi all, I have decided to get myself a fishing kayak mainly for squiding in Adelaide metro waters. No more than 400-500m off shore.
I was planning on getting the Malibu mini x due to how light and easy to transport it is (I only have an i30 with roof racks). Ive been turned off a fair bit by all the comments of how slow the kayak is. So I decided to go for a Malibu x-calibre which is 12'6" for the extra speed.
Except, I took my partner out on the weekend in two 10ft hire kayaks. Even though they were slow we had a great time and the availability of space wasnt an issue. Now she would like a kayak as well.
Now Im starting to think we might get a pair of Malibu minis as they can be transported stacked, where as the x calibre wont stack that well and is significantly bigger.

Any first hand experiences that may sway my decisions? I dont want to go to something that is inconvenient to travel with for a very small advantage on the water, as I want it to be something I can just grab after work and go chase some squid.

Thanks in advance!
banga196
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Adelaide Metro

Re: Malibu Kayak -Speed

Postby laneends » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:29 pm

The biggest issue is length, they can get unstable hard to track if it starts to get iffy conditions. How far you intend to go out and how far you eventually do can be two different things. It is safety margins you are talking about sacrificing, not just speed. If you cant go in a straight line in blowy conditions it doesn't matter how fast they are.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Re: Malibu Kayak -Speed

Postby banga196 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 pm

laneends wrote:The biggest issue is length, they can get unstable hard to track if it starts to get iffy conditions. How far you intend to go out and how far you eventually do can be two different things. It is safety margins you are talking about sacrificing, not just speed. If you cant go in a straight line in blowy conditions it doesn't matter how fast they are.

I hadnt really considered the safety factor. I guess it wouldn't be hard to lose track of where you were if you were drifting!
banga196
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Adelaide Metro

Return to Which Kayak For Me