Which STEALTH for me?

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

Re: Which STEALTH for me?

#16 Post by MrPinkie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:13 pm

What's the buzz with the Stealth's and glass kayaks in general? Is it mostly because they are faster through the water or are there other reasons?

Seeker
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: gold coast

#17 Post by Seeker » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:15 pm

More the ability to store equipment inside hull for surf launches and returns.

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

#18 Post by MrPinkie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:25 pm

I thought a lot of yaks had the longer cavity lid in front of where you sit - namely the ocean prowlers and even the freaks? Even my Quest 13 I think I could put in and take out a 2 piece rod through the circular lid to the storage compartment.

Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra, Stellar & Fenn Surfskis, Vajda K1

#19 Post by Slick Mick » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:29 pm

MrPinkie wrote:What's the buzz with the Stealth's and glass kayaks in general? Is it mostly because they are faster through the water or are there other reasons?
Personal choice in a lot of respects.

Yes, they are faster which makes them perfect for trolling. Very stable once you get used to them or extremely stable (so much so it is bloody ridiculous) if you also paddle K1s and surf skis like me and can handle much rougher conditions than any normal fishing yak.

The proof in the pudding is as a fishing platform it is just about perfect. The large fish hatch cannot be underestimated in usability. Not only to store fish, but all your gear as well. Besides trolling, as mentioned above, it is suited to any form of cast and retrieve, jigging is an absolute breeze and landing fish is very easy as there is no deck clutter to get in the way.

Finally, they are a hoot to paddle in rough seas. Smashing into or running with swells you will get wet, but the low volume means that except for the pedals and leg cutout no water sits in the boat and rapidly drains away via the two drain plugs utilising a venturi effect. Beach launches and landings are much simpler (within reason!). And last but not least, they are very easy to remount if and when you go for a swim.

Mick

They are lighter too... :wink:
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).

Lazybugger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#20 Post by Lazybugger » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:40 pm

MrPinkie wrote:I thought a lot of yaks had the longer cavity lid in front of where you sit - namely the ocean prowlers and even the freaks? Even my Quest 13 I think I could put in and take out a 2 piece rod through the circular lid to the storage compartment.
Can you fit 3-4 fully rigged rods and a couple 10kg spanish and a longtail in the Quest? It's not just about 1 rod. Most guys are trolling with 2 and have a 3rd to throw slugs with. Maybe even a 4th to chuck a plastic if the macks aren't on or just a bait rod. Not too mention keeping the sounder off the top while you go through the surf zone too.

But more importantly its speed in the surfzone. When you are going through the breaks there is often times when seconds matter. Its a lot easier to get moving forward again after going over the white water of a broken wave with the stealth than with a plastic. That means you hit the next wave sooner - hopefully before it breaks. Coming back in the speed also helps. The speed allows you to get either get in on the back of a wave and follow it in or alternatively make a break and get in front of a wave and surf it. Not saying it can't be done with plastic ... but its a helluva lot easier with glass.

Finally the glass is easier to paddle. You can have an easy cruise at 5-6km/hr in conditions you might struggle to hit 4km/hr in a plastic. If the weathers crap with wind and chop it makes for a lot quicker trip home and out of harms way.

fmwlgeoff
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland
Kayaks: Ebay Special & 2010 Hobie Outback

#21 Post by fmwlgeoff » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Well said by all on the reasons why glass can be better in surf and offshore situations...and watch this space for pics of the new beast in the coming weeks...aiming for early to mid January and after that I will annoy you all with as many reports as the fish gods will grace me with giving haha... :wink: :wink:

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

#22 Post by MrPinkie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Can you fit 3-4 fully rigged rods and a couple 10kg spanish and a longtail in the Quest? It's not just about 1 rod.
But more importantly its speed in the surfzone. When you are going through the breaks there is often times when seconds matter. Its a lot easier to get moving forward again after going over the white water of a broken wave with the stealth than with a plastic.
Finally the glass is easier to paddle.
That is what I thought and makes complete sense, but it is good to hear it first hand. Being a newbie to yak fishing, I subscribed to the popular opinion that there are Hobie's and then everything else. I like my Quest now but I am sure that when I go offshore in surf more that there will be an upgrade inevitable to a Stealth or the like.

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski

#23 Post by nigel » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:34 pm

MrPinkie wrote:What's the buzz with the Stealth's and glass kayaks in general? Is it mostly because they are faster through the water or are there other reasons?
well after many plastics I started my glass fetish with a Kaskasi D2 then added a Stealth splash then a Stealth BFS then sold em all now got a 4m plastic Ski a 4.7m plastic ski (both viking javelin & predator) 1st for fun paddle/quick troll 2nd for chasing kings round structures etc but my serious beast is a Stealth Evo 465 now I'm a crippled old git off the water but on my plastics 20-25K trolls are pushing it then on my glass 40+Ks is attainable (not bad at 55eh) the big difference is plastics just don't glide half as well as glass.
Ide not go half the places on plastic I fish on glass know it won't sink & confident of the secondary stability & speed/sea worthiness if as does happen weather goes belly up if I'm a bit wide.

Pommy Nigel
ImageImage

Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

#24 Post by Snapperpaddy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:53 pm

I have just bought a fisha 460 and there are the obvious positives. Negatives for mine are getting a comfortable sitting position, my old plastic has adjustable rod holders set in a front position so mackerel strikes were a lot more fun as opposed to hearing the reel go off from behind. My old plastic I had a lot more options where to place various rods pending weather conditions, swell and wind and chop etc, so my reels in the plastic were definitely dryer while paddling. The plastic also has an adjustable seat, yes the plastics is slow. Just a different perspective from someone who uses both. Like I said the Stealths have obvious strengths. If my beach launch was palmy than the stealth would be the only option, for better or for worse :cry: As far as fitting rod mounts in a front position the distributer advised against this mod based on structural issues
Last edited by Snapperpaddy on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski

#25 Post by nigel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:40 pm

Snapperpaddy wrote:I have just bought a fisha and there are the obvious positives Negatives for mine aregetting a comfortable sitting position, my old plastic had rod holders set in a front position so mackerel strikes were a lot more fun as opposed to hearing the reel go off from behind. My old plastic I had a lot more options where to place various rods pending weather conditions, swell and wind and chop etc, so my reels in the plastic were definitely dryer while paddling
Hey its not a big deal fitting forward railblazers ram mounts or whatever & re reels being dryer OK its a ski so you sit lower will be more prone to splash but less likely to turtle & launch land you stash em in the hatch sorted.

Pommy Nigel
ImageImage

Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler

#26 Post by Snapperpaddy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 pm

Last edited by Snapperpaddy on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days

Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler

#27 Post by Snapperpaddy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 pm

I have just bought a fisha 460 and there are the obvious positives. Negatives for mine are getting a comfortable sitting position, my old plastic has adjustable rod holders set in a front position so mackerel strikes were a lot more fun as opposed to hearing the reel go off from behind. My old plastic I had a lot more options where to place various rods pending weather conditions, swell and wind and chop etc, so my reels in the plastic were definitely dryer while paddling. The plastic also has an adjustable seat, yes the plastics is slow. Just a different perspective from someone who uses both. Like I said the Stealths have obvious strengths. If my beach launch was palmy than the stealth would be the only option, for better or for worse :cry: As far as fitting rod mounts in a front position the distributer advised against this mod based on structural issues

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

#28 Post by MrPinkie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:20 pm

After following this thread and watching a lot of YT vids featuring Stealths recently, I have been wishing I got a Stealth instead of my Quest.

Going out for a paddle really early this morning off Scarby, there was a very decent wind, swell and whitecaps which I struggled to cut through cleanly and was not tracking well at all through. And then... the big Spotted Cod I caught, trying to fit him into my little circular central stowaway - I broke the damn Twist and Stow handle trying to fit him in. If I had a Stealth it would've cut through the chop way easier and the big central compartment they have for fish - I probably wouldn't have had any troubles or broken the handle squeezing him in. It quite ironic really.

FishnDive
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 Toura 17 Pinnacle Elite

#29 Post by FishnDive » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:31 pm

MrPinkie wrote:After following this thread and watching a lot of YT vids featuring Stealths recently, I have been wishing I got a Stealth instead of my Quest.

Going out for a paddle really early this morning off Scarby, there was a very decent wind, swell and whitecaps which I struggled to cut through cleanly and was not tracking well at all through. And then... the big Spotted Cod I caught, trying to fit him into my little circular central stowaway - I broke the damn Twist and Stow handle trying to fit him in. If I had a Stealth it would've cut through the chop way easier and the big central compartment they have for fish - I probably wouldn't have had any troubles or broken the handle squeezing him in. It quite ironic really.
I think you already know the next move... :grin:
Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

#30 Post by MrPinkie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:45 pm

ATTENTION: Hobie Quest 13 for sale. Lol.

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”