Boat fisher turning to Yak fishing..with no idea about yaks!

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
drinkwater09
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie

Boat fisher turning to Yak fishing..with no idea about yaks!

#1 Post by drinkwater09 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:32 am

Hey everybody! I'm looking for some help!

I'm from Lake Macquarie and have grown up fishing on the lake with the occasional charter with my dad outside fishing!
Now my interest is turning to kayak fishing because my partner and I have moved into Newcastle (can't just easily jump on the boat and head out, and getting over land fishing) and we want to start going away camping and it would be so great to take the kayak and catch dinner!

I've been reading a heap of threads and looking on gumtree and everything but I still don't know which kayak is a good buy or just over priced/not good value. I am definitely looking at getting a second hand one, so then its well kitted out and ready to roll!
I've found one on gumtree its an Eco, but I haven't read much about them yet? They want $1100 min and it has a sounder and stabilisers, is that good value?

I've heard good things about Malibu's I've found a Malibu Malibu x-13, 4.2M/27kg for sale for $400. Is that a good size for a beginner, looking to head out in the lake, harbour, rivers and potentially some outside work?

Also any websites other than gumtree I should be looking at for second handers?

BrettoQld
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough
Kayaks: Esky Lid

Re: Boat fisher turning to Yak fishing..with no idea about y

#2 Post by BrettoQld » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:05 pm

drinkwater09 wrote:Also any websites other than gumtree I should be looking at for second handers?
This forum has a classified section for second hand kayaks. Keep your eye open.

As for the Malibu, I have no idea what they're like offshore, but for rivers and bays, anything that floats will serve your needs.
Cheers,
Bretto

muzza111
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

#3 Post by muzza111 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:16 pm

The malibu seems about the size you'd be looking for - the dimensions seem like a good compromise between paddle speed and stability. It's also 5kg lighter than many plastic kayaks that length which will make it easier to carry but would raise the question of build quality / durability. I don't really know much about them personally.

It looks like they come with 2 rod holders which is ok but I'd prefer a couple more to store a net, gaff etc. It doesn't look like the malibu comes standard with either a seat or a rudder, does the second hand one have these added? If you're looking at second hand kayaks I'd insist on a quick paddle before buying one to check it doesn't leak (probably the hatches and rod holders), especially in that cheaper end of the market.
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#4 Post by arpie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi

Welcome to the forum - there's a wealth of knowledge here on setting up your yak for safe fishing - and where to go & how to catch pretty well most species!

There are a few things you need to look at when buying a yak. Usually - a well appointed 2nd hand yak is more economical than buying new. Some new yaks don't include seats or paddle or wheels.

Most 2nd hand ones do - with extras thrown in (paddle, seat, life jackets, rod holders, Fish Finders, anchor trolley, drogue, etc)

SAFETY is essential.

Re 'Which Yak' ...... first thing to consider is your size. All yaks have a 'weight restriction' - with your combined weight & all your fishing gear & 'add ons', it must NOT exceed this restriction. For safe yakking, keeping it well below the 'maximum' weight suggested. STABILITY is one of the most important factors ..... if you are not 'stable' in your yak - it will tip over & you can lose a lot of gear.

TRY any yak BEFORE you buy ...... that is the only way that you know it will suit your weight & that the seat is comfy & for stability etc.

Don't look at it as a 'Cheap Beginners yak' ..... get a yak that SUITS you! It may cost a bit more - but Get the right one first up & you'll be happy with it for 10 years+

Most people buy 'cheap' and end up getting rid of it & upgrading to a quality 'name brand' yak - not cheap chinese imports.

Buy LIFE JACKETS and make sure you wear them.

Good luck with your hunt - a lot of people are upgrading their current yaks to newer models ...... keep an eye open on the Classifieds here ..... there are some really good yaks for sale, all kitted up, ready to go

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

drinkwater09
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by drinkwater09 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:08 pm

Thank you all so much! That helped a lot!!

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#6 Post by laneends » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:59 pm

X 13 is an older model but a good size and design, if its in reasonable nick thats a good price.

ecos were sold by BCF. Forget about stabalizers its an accessory few would use and it probably bumps the price up. Not sure I would be paying $1000+ for one. Still a basic range kayak.

Dont underestimate the difference between a short and long kayak. Unless you specifically want a creek basher you will soon either want to upgrade, or give it up all together, if you get a short one.

As you haven't had a kayak before you dont know what you will end up using it for, ddespite initial thoughts, so best get one for allround ability. That is typically 13 foot /4m range

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

#7 Post by MrPinkie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi mate,

I am new to yakking too and was in the same predicament as you, unsure of the best kayak with all the options out there. My best advice is go second-hand for a reputable brand which will have at least a close resale value if it is not to your liking rather than brand-new which deprecates quickly.

Having fished Lake Macquarie I know it has insane current strengths (especially along the channel) and picks up pretty quickly with wind and swell (much like Moreton Bay here) so I'd recommend at least a 13 foot yak and most importantly a rudder.

Some options I looked at before settling on a cheap Hobie Quest 13 were Ocean Prowlers, Jackson's, and Viking's - all mostly because of their smaller budget (compared to the fibreglass yaks and pedal powered Hobie's and Native Watercraft) and decent offshore stability.

Just don't buy one of those cheap eBay, Dragon or Freak yaks because, in my opinion and trials, they are simply not as good handling the conditions especially when it comes to the conditions you'll get in the lake.

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

#8 Post by rocky » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:36 pm

drinkwater09,

Welcome to the forum and to the Newcastle/Lake Mac area. Hope you can get set up soon with a yak and get on the water in the area as there is some good fishing to be had.
We have a yak Club in the area the Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club who have a social outing once a month, most members have Hobies or Mariners but have all graduated from other yaks and can offer help if you need it. We are having a Christmas get together at Belmont South near the outlet of Cold Tea creek on Sunday 11th Dec. There is a bbq at about 1000 - 1100 and you are most welcome to come along for a chat and burger with the members who will be there, just let us know if you are coming.
Most members usually go out for a fish on weekends and some through the week so keep an eye on the posts.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

drinkwater09
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by drinkwater09 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi everyone!!!

I'm so pumped I just bought one! A Prowler 13! And it comes with a paddle and paddle leash and a custom made fish create, Scotty Rod Holder, custom made anchor trolly, custom made paddle holder and more. For $550!!! I feel like that is a great bargain! Am I right?

drinkwater09
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by drinkwater09 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:08 pm

rocky wrote:drinkwater09,

Welcome to the forum and to the Newcastle/Lake Mac area. Hope you can get set up soon with a yak and get on the water in the area as there is some good fishing to be had.
We have a yak Club in the area the Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club who have a social outing once a month, most members have Hobies or Mariners but have all graduated from other yaks and can offer help if you need it. We are having a Christmas get together at Belmont South near the outlet of Cold Tea creek on Sunday 11th Dec. There is a bbq at about 1000 - 1100 and you are most welcome to come along for a chat and burger with the members who will be there, just let us know if you are coming.
Most members usually go out for a fish on weekends and some through the week so keep an eye on the posts.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky

Thanks so much rocky! Can't wait to get fishing!

drinkwater09
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by drinkwater09 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:10 pm

MrPinkie wrote:Hi mate,

I am new to yakking too and was in the same predicament as you, unsure of the best kayak with all the options out there. My best advice is go second-hand for a reputable brand which will have at least a close resale value if it is not to your liking rather than brand-new which deprecates quickly.

Having fished Lake Macquarie I know it has insane current strengths (especially along the channel) and picks up pretty quickly with wind and swell (much like Moreton Bay here) so I'd recommend at least a 13 foot yak and most importantly a rudder.

Some options I looked at before settling on a cheap Hobie Quest 13 were Ocean Prowlers, Jackson's, and Viking's - all mostly because of their smaller budget (compared to the fibreglass yaks and pedal powered Hobie's and Native Watercraft) and decent offshore stability.

Just don't buy one of those cheap eBay, Dragon or Freak yaks because, in my opinion and trials, they are simply not as good handling the conditions especially when it comes to the conditions you'll get in the lake.

Thanks MrPinkie! Just got a Prowler 13 from your reccomendations!

NathanG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dungog- Hunter Region
Kayaks: OK prowler 4.7( traded) Now Hobie PA 14

#12 Post by NathanG » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:49 pm

You'll love the prowler i got a ultra after trying a cheap yak and there world's apart fast and stable you'll be smashing fish in no time
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

#13 Post by MrPinkie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:42 pm

drinkwater09 wrote:Hi everyone!!!

I'm so pumped I just bought one! A Prowler 13! And it comes with a paddle and paddle leash and a custom made fish create, Scotty Rod Holder, custom made anchor trolly, custom made paddle holder and more. For $550!!! I feel like that is a great bargain! Am I right?
Holy heck lol, you got it for $550? That is a steal especially considering the add-ons. I'd recommend adding on a fishfinder for your region too. I paid $900 for my Hobie Quest 13 with fish finder and rudder and I thought that was a good deal lol. Your deal IMO is a much better kayak for a much lower price.

About 6 months ago I went down where you are to visit a mate. We launched his tinny at the ramp not far from the main bridge over the channel road. We went out maybe 1km (easy kayak ground), caught some fresh squid (in huge abundance when I went) and pulled up a metre Jewwy not far from the shore on a slight drop-off plus an 85 cm flathead. I reckon you'd kill it stealth kayak mode there if you can find the spots.

Good luck!

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”