New Point 65'N Mercury. Modular kayak?

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
Seasquirt
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Murray Cod country. Qld / NSW border rivers
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 + Stealth Superlite 100

New Point 65'N Mercury. Modular kayak?

#1 Post by Seasquirt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Has any one tried this yak ? I have multiple yaks but I need one when I visit a unit on the Sunshine Coast. Garage is too small. I am considering the " Mercury" modular touring yak, appears to track better and I would modify for fishing myself. Only want the solo version. Would love to hear of opinions. Tracking, suitability , reviews etc.
" Things are only impossible until they are not " - Jean Luc Picard

Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: the planet

Re: New Point 65'N Mercury. Modular kayak?

#2 Post by Nativeman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 pm

I love how you can buy a middle section and make it into a double, thats pretty cool. Lots of good reviews on these in the USA
Sel

Seasquirt
KFDU 500 Club

#3 Post by Seasquirt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:48 pm

On the whole , this seems like a great option. However I just found some reviews which showed up many manufacturing flaws. The main being made in China and not fitting together well, the tie together mechanism apparently wears quickly and the Skeg , rudder system has had some complaints, though it can be modified yourself. I stress these were older reviews ( 2013 and earlier) . I Sooo hope this has been rectified in the newer model. Would really love to hear of any recent experiences. I really need a yak I can store easily for the several wonderful times a year I can get to the coast for fishing where I would most need a yak. I don't envisage anything but estuary fishing in this circumstance.
Cheers,
Seasquirt

Seasquirt
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by Seasquirt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:10 am

I am still considering this yak. Please , if any one has any info , I would be forever grateful. I will have to order it online so won't get to try it out first.
Cheers

Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: the planet

#5 Post by Nativeman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Pam

Yake a look in the classifieds, some one is wanting one of these. maybe the person may have an opinion on these yaks.
Sel

savit
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney North Shore
Kayaks: DAG Midway

#6 Post by savit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:36 pm

I am the one who is looking for Point 65 yak in the KFDU Classifieds, however not the same model. I do not have practical experience with it and my decision is based on reviews, youtube and likely similar requirements.

I do not know much about Mercury as I do not consider sit-inside kayaks. I might suggest you just to search private (non-ad) videos on youtube to see how it actually behaves in the water if there is no local kayak dealer that might offer 'a test-drive'.

If you have concerns about Chinese build quality then consider Point 65 Apollo (SOT) or Gemini (sit-inside) modular kayaks. These 2 recent models are made (also) in US. I think AU C-kayak business stocks both models, perhaps a call to them may clarify some of your questions.

Hope this helps :glad:

savit

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”