Hobie Pro Angler

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?

Hobie Pro Angler

Postby shappy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi everyone,
I recently mentioned in the new members section that I am selling my boat to fund me to purchase a pro angler. well, I have received deposit and the final goodbye to my boat (which I still love and going to miss a lot) will happen on Saturday.
now comes the fun of going shopping for the next venture!!
i'm 99% decided on the 14, I have checked the 12 and 14 out side by side and I feel for my wants and needs that the size compromise is not worth doing. I now later I would have that gut feeling I wish I went the 14.
I fish areas of wellington point, raby bay, coochie island and spots in between. I do fish canals in these areas a fair bit and is why the 12 was in the picture as it would be a little easier to manuover in these areas, but at the same time would be a draw back itself when compaired to an outback for example, but all 3 of these I feel I could manage with. when fishing the shallow reefs for snapper I would much rather have that extra length for long distances travel and would add to stability, and I believe will lead me to fish the reefs a little more due to easy access of the kayak and getting out to these areas.
anyway, just so pumped about it i had to share!!

cheers, shappy
shappy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: redlands
Kayaks: dragon Kayak 2.5 double, PA14

Re: Hobie Pro Angler

Postby Brendon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:40 am

I currently have a PA12 which I ended up with as it was a very good deal (ex Hobie GF ) but I would have definitely gone for the 14 otherwise and everyone I have spoken to on the subject has been of the same opinion .
I would only get a PA12 if you had a reason such as weight or storage .
I fished mine offshore and estuary often and the more efficient hull and better sea manners of the 14 would have been greatly appreciated .

Cheers Brendon
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Re: Hobie Pro Angler

Postby chrisw » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:44 am

shappy wrote:i'm 99% decided on the 14, I have checked the 12 and 14 out side by side and I feel for my wants and needs that the size compromise is not worth doing. I now later I would have that gut feeling I wish I went the 14.

I recently went through the same process and ended up with a 14. The 12 just isn't worth it for the small difference in cost. It's slower, less stable and can carry less. Strongly recommend you choose a 14 over a 12.
chrisw
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Phillip Bay
Kayaks: Dune PA14

Return to Which Kayak For Me