Help needed in deciding which tarpon to get.

Need help in selecting a kayak for fishing? Or do you have a review to share?
Titfish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle Aust

Help needed in deciding which tarpon to get.

#1 Post by Titfish » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm

A long time reader with very little to contribute thus far.

Anyway the story goes. I have fished out of an Australis bass for years and with advancing years I'm finding it harder to get in and out of plus the seat doesn't do the back any favours. Most of my fishing revolves around fishing in smallish waters, maybe 10 to 60 metres wide and we do paddles that might get up towards 3 ks or so from camp although the rivers we fish can be narrower and the distances longer. I also do a bit of fishing in the estuaries which might have an affect on the final decision. Also the yak will be cartopped on a Prado so how do others get around getting these onto the roof racks? By getting something more comfortable I am hoping to spend more time on the water.
At one stage I was considering getting a normal canoe, old town discovery 119 or similar but they seem to be very much out of favour here in Oz. I'm not sure why. Others might like to give their thoughts on this.

In an effort to improve comfort I have begun looking at alternatives and the tarpons seem to be around the mark. My question is which will be a better fit. The 100 or the 120? I am also open to suggestions of other brands too.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. So many questions.

Cheers
Ken

Tarpon5000
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Everywhere
Kayaks: Aspire 100 , PA14 .

Re: Help needed in deciding which tarpon to get.

#2 Post by Tarpon5000 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Definitely the 120 for the fishing you do mate, i had one for many years. The seat is very comfortable and plenty of storage as well.

I used to pick it up all the time to load onto my car but cant comment if its as easy to do on a larger car. cant imagine it would be too difficult thou.

dre
Yak pb's : Bream 48cm, Wild Bass 438mm F , EP 500mm F , Kingfish 80cm, Flathead 80cm, Jewie 61cm ,Salmon 70cm Bronze Whaler 1.5m, Bonito 46cm, Watson Bonito 47cm, Tailor 57cm ,Pinkie 40cm,Trevor 55cm.

ronaldo
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: coffs coast & beyond.....
Kayaks: WS Tarpon 120 - Mantra Noa - Hobie Revo 13

#3 Post by ronaldo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:18 pm

The Tarpon is a great all round fishing platform.....I love my 120 :love:
There's a few ways to assist loading onto roof racks, either from the side or from the rear of the vehicle...just do a search on this forum.
:bye:
Ron
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE.
IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Titfish
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Titfish » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. I sort of thought the 120 would be the go but just wanted others thoughts too.

Still open to any other input just to add confusion.

Cheers
Ken

Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: the planet

#5 Post by Nativeman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 am

I'd go a New 2017 Hobie Quest 11. all the features of the Tarpon 120. But is will have the Vantage Seat which is inclusion on all Hobie Kayaks now, https://www.hobie.com/au/en/kayaks/quest-11/ . These seats a very comfy and adjustable to suit your body needs.

Or a WS Aspire 105, its a sit in but has a very comfortable seat very similar if not the same seat as in the tarpon. Plus a good rear hatch storage witch is water tight and is easily accessed from seated position. It has a drop down skeg, so if you are on the paddle home after fishing a river, it glides much faster and no correction paddles are needed. The skeg can be raised when in rocky areas, logs etc. Buy the standard model and put in a couple fluch mounts angel rod holders for storage of rods.

Fished the past two days in border rivers, myself in the Hobie 11 with the old seat and my mate with an aspire 105. I've has a few tarpons in my time. I reckon the Quest has an edge over it especially when paddling into current, it holds its position so well and I think its a slightly drier boat has water drains away from the cockpit where as I found the tarpon collected water amd all your fishing accessories tended to attract more moisture.
Sel

BUY AUSTRALIAN MADE LURES

SUPPORT A LOCAL

https://onecastlures.com.au/shop/

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

#6 Post by Steve R » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 am

Test paddle is the only way to be sure.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Missin Fishin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Tarpon 120

#7 Post by Missin Fishin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm

test paddle is a good idea if you can wrangle one.

I was going to suggest a 100 may be better if you mainly fish river, but as there is bugger all weight difference I'd have to ditto the 120 being the more versatile way to go.

Ditto also a quest 11 may be worth considering. The hobie seat is certainly better, however the phase 3 WS seat is far ahead of the competition also.

Don't know about the tarpon being more prone to collecting water myself, certainly the storage area behind the seat collects water but mine is near bone dry at the front, when hitting larger waves water goes down the scuppers and not on other things in mine.

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

#8 Post by Steve R » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 pm

Hobie should be easy for a test paddle. Tarpon may be a little challenging. Prokayaks in Narrabeen may be able to help if you are unable to test a Tarpon in Newcastle. Phone first if you decide to try them.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: the planet

#9 Post by Nativeman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:13 pm

I was just offering my advice from owning 2 100's and a 120. Great Kayak I agree but the seat well collects water, the webbed area's in front of the seat each side of the central hatch and the cup holder will fill with water, It looks to me that WS has just gone with the same mold year after year. They fill with water as they are not drained so the water makes it to the foot well scuppers.
Sel

BUY AUSTRALIAN MADE LURES

SUPPORT A LOCAL

https://onecastlures.com.au/shop/

Shuggy22
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

#10 Post by Shuggy22 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Would have to agree with Sel.
Whilst I haven't owned a tarpon so cant comment on those, i have owned a quest 11, quest 13 and now back to a quest 11 (no vantage seat ) after having been through a few yaks i have gone back to the quest. They just seem to work! They arnt heavy, they track ridiculously well without a rudder (as opposed to other yaks I have owned with a rudder). Everything is in a good place, the ONLY thing I would change is my seat lol which if you go the 2017 model your sorted!

Again I haven't tried the tarpon (keen to mind you).

As far as the canoe goes mate having owned one myself even as a relatively fit young (20's) bloke
they are not light. And thus car topping (especially on your prado) is not fun. Which in turn might deter you from getting out in it!
As far as aids for loading goes it depends on budget
there are flash self loading systems or even just a Rack and Roll might work for you about 150 from memory.

$$$ might dictate choice too, new quest seems expensive but I have no doubt it would be money well spent.

Best of luck with it mate I dont think you will go wrong with any of the choices mentioned so far!
Sorry for the info overload!

Titfish
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by Titfish » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks again everybody for your input. I can definitely try a hobie here in Newie. They are close to the lake and promote test paddles. The tarpon might be a more difficult issue but if local dealer is fair dinkum about a sale then he should provide a similar service.

Shuggy. Interesting that you mention weight issues. The canoes I was talking about were lighter than any SOT. The old town pack angler (discontinued) was something like 16kg and the discovery 119 is just under 20kgs. I like your last comment.

Cheers
KEn

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#12 Post by Marty75 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:59 pm

I own both a Tarpon 120 and a Quest 11.

Love the Quest more and the Tarpon is my guest kayak. The Hobie is so easy to throw on the roof and is a beaut little kayak.

The Tarpon factory seat is more comfy but agree with the others re how the water pools in the cockpit.

Marty

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#13 Post by StevenM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 am

A previous Tarpon member here.

Have had two quest 11's and a 13

The quest is a Much better kayak.

stew70
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: south east qld
Kayaks: 2015 hobie revo 11 , midnight aspire 105

#14 Post by stew70 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 am

Aspire 105 or quest 11 definitely, perfect little yaks for tight water . Sold my quest 11 to get a revo11 and miss it. Get the new model with vantage seat , well worth it.

Shuggy22
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

#15 Post by Shuggy22 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Titfish, first of all Wow I have never seen those canoes to be honest! They are ridiculously light!
Lol I had an australis bushman and from memory it was about 42 or 45kg haha
The only other downside to the canoe was drag from the wind, however I fish in open estuary often so it's not as big an issue in the tight creeks.
Mine used to catch the wind like a sail and became hardwork even with the younger brother and I on board.

However the two you mentioned look the goods and a test paddle would be worth it!

Stew70
Did the exact same thing got a quest 11, got a revo 11(thinking it would be better) sold them both bought a boat sold that bought a quest 13 sold that bought a Prowler sold that lol and now happily back with a quest 11 :)
Aaaaaaand wish I had some coin for the new model hahaha

Return to “Which Kayak For Me”