A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?

A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby fishing addict » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Went out for an offshore session at moffats beach today and had a ball paddling around chasing tuna. Being my first trip out on my own I took every precaution and had no dramas the whole day bar not being able to find any larger specimens of tuna.
On the return trip to the beach I got all the way in and jumped out within five meters of the sand. One of the locals asked me how I went and I turned around changing hands on the yak. Unfortunately a simple slip of the hand on the handle at the front and the kayak went up the beach and did a full flip snapping in half my three favourite rods that I had mounted behind the seat. I had them secure down with an ockey strap to stop them falling out because I had no way to lay them down. Luckily everything else was secure and tucked away. A very harsh reminder to pay careful attention until your in the clear. :beye:
On the positive side now have an excuse to buy some new rods and look into a way to secure them lying down or in the hull. :grin:
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.
User avatar
fishing addict
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 7:20 pm
Location: Dohles Rocks
Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby arpie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:32 am

Oh Bugger!! I feel your pain!! And just to think .... if the person hadn't spoken to you, it may not have happened! :cry:

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods
Image

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Image
User avatar
arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
 
Posts: 9439
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: forster nsw
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby Lazybugger » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:30 am

Mate, sorry to put the boot in .... but your focus isn't your biggest problem. It's your prep. I've been doing Moffats for years and for years have seen the broken rod story many times. It comes down to 2 things - the underlying sneaky conditions and rod storage.

While it looks a friendly beach ... it has this thing called the sandmonster. Its a wave that crashes within a few feet of the shoreline. When the swell has really been up for a few days from the North & east it is truly scary - go down to the beach during or just after a cyclone to see what I mean. But even calm conditions in the little bay bely the power it contains. Sometimes the size of the swell you look at behind you has little to do with the power of the sandmonster as the its the wave directly before that feeds it quickly as it retrieves that pumps up that power of the next. What looks calm on the shoreline can change in a hurry. It affects both launch and retrieve there.

The second part is where the pain can be avoided. Don't launch or retrieve on any open beach with the rods sticking up. Why do you think stealths are so popular? Find a way to strap your rods to your hull. Add some velcro or bungy. Stick your reels inside the hull in a dry bag. Alternatly one of the Noosa Yakers makes a drybag that takes rod and reel in one, so you can pre-rig.

To be honest I am guilty of laughing with the other old timers as we watch some of the guys launching with rods up - we know whats coming if they get it wrong but we have seen the guys smile & launch rods up anyway after being told or we've been told to pizz off when offering advice before so don't bother now.
Lazybugger
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:09 pm
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby PA Pete » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 pm

Bad luck about your rods old mate at least your having a go and they say theres a lesson to learn in every outing, just sorry it was an expensive one. :wink:
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:13 pm
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby fishing addict » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:54 am

I've already bought two clamps from railblaza for the rods and have a dry bag ready to go for the next trip. Unfortunitly my Christmas holidays are just about to dry up. Still can't wait for the next trip.
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.
User avatar
fishing addict
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 7:20 pm
Location: Dohles Rocks
Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby Edstar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Hey mate. Unlucky

I used to go offshore in my tempo on a good weather day. I had rod storage issues as well. I would be puttin rod tips under front bungee. Install Velcro strap on tackle pod for ur butts. And tying a plastic shopping bag around the reels to give a little protection water splash.
It's not ideal but it sort of worked for me. Things still got wet on a flip but nothing broke.

Edstar.
User avatar
Edstar
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:33 pm
Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby MrPinkie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Lazybugger wrote:
The second part is where the pain can be avoided. Don't launch or retrieve on any open beach with the rods sticking up. Why do you think stealths are so popular? Find a way to strap your rods to your hull.


100% agree. Seems like the extended internal storage of the Stealths stock-standard or Ocean Prowlers with the internal rod add-on are the way to go. Anyone else using a Hobie or other yak have a good way to store rods internally during launch or return?
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:44 pm
Location: Scarborough
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby CAV » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Lazybugger wrote:Mate, sorry to put the boot in .... but your focus isn't your biggest problem. It's your prep. I've been doing Moffats for years and for years have seen the broken rod story many times. It comes down to 2 things - the underlying sneaky conditions and rod storage.

While it looks a friendly beach ... it has this thing called the sandmonster. Its a wave that crashes within a few feet of the shoreline. When the swell has really been up for a few days from the North & east it is truly scary - go down to the beach during or just after a cyclone to see what I mean. But even calm conditions in the little bay bely the power it contains. Sometimes the size of the swell you look at behind you has little to do with the power of the sandmonster as the its the wave directly before that feeds it quickly as it retrieves that pumps up that power of the next. What looks calm on the shoreline can change in a hurry. It affects both launch and retrieve there.

The second part is where the pain can be avoided. Don't launch or retrieve on any open beach with the rods sticking up. Why do you think stealths are so popular? Find a way to strap your rods to your hull. Add some velcro or bungy. Stick your reels inside the hull in a dry bag. Alternatly one of the Noosa Yakers makes a drybag that takes rod and reel in one, so you can pre-rig.

To be honest I am guilty of laughing with the other old timers as we watch some of the guys launching with rods up - we know whats coming if they get it wrong but we have seen the guys smile & launch rods up anyway after being told or we've been told to pizz off when offering advice before so don't bother now.


^^what LB said.

Don't worry you're certainly not the first and won't the last to loose a rod to the sand monster there, I lost two on my first outing in a similar fashion to you
User avatar
CAV
KFDU 500 Club
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:55 pm
Location: Deception Bay Qld
Local Fishing Region: Deception Bay/ Redcliffe / Bribie Island
Kayaks: Bandit 550 Fisha Profisha 525

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby Faysie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Hobie make a Horizontal Rod Holder Kit( not cheap but cheaper than a new rod?), not sure how they would go in the surf, anyone tried them? You could also rig something up with some PVC,bungies etc
Faysie
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:39 pm
Local Fishing Region: Moreton

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby pazz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:20 pm

In my experience Hobie's & surf are not a good mix (might reflect my surfing capabilities rather than the yak's)
I generally only launch when there is a very good chance on not getting caught in the surf zone. So after looking at the waves and deciding to go, on the way out my rods are rigged & ready to go in the holders.
When coming back in I have a rule of always taking the reels off the rods & storing in a dry bag in the front hatch along with the sounder - no matter how small the surf looks. Seeing I have to break down the rods when I am back on the beach I may as well do it before getting to the surf zone.
I velcro the rods to the side of the yak next to the paddle.
Have only had on instance where I bailed out in waste deep water to stop a roll over - often its that little 1 foot wave that gives you the problem.
Cheers
Pazz
User avatar
pazz
KFDU 500 Club
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Moonee Beach, Nth Coast NSW
Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour / Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 105, 2015 Revo 13

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby Lazybugger » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Just a tip for those blokes looking to strap rods to the yak. Its worth strapping them tight. If you can straddle your yak and attach the end close to the bows thats handy too. What you want to avoid if possible is straight rod that sticks out, even if paralell to the kayak. While no issue will arise on an upright landing, if you get rolled there is a chance that bit sticking out will get caught in the sand & break as the yak keeps moving. So lash in more that one place - and keep to the curve of the yak if possible. 2 piece rods that fit inside the hull are an even better option - and there are plenty of these around than can handle snapper through to tuna.
Lazybugger
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:09 pm
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby pegasus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Sorry for your loss there FA- oouch I feel your pain.
pegasus
KFDU Angler
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:19 pm
Location: Albany Creek
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Surf Fisha 470 Viking Pro 400

Re: A harsh lesson in maintaining focus

Postby Occy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 am

Faysie wrote:Hobie make a Horizontal Rod Holder Kit( not cheap but cheaper than a new rod?), not sure how they would go in the surf, anyone tried them? You could also rig something up with some PVC,bungies etc



I really like them Faysie. I have one on the left side of my Hurricane Skimmer 128 and am considering another on the other side.check out the video to see why https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jjlsn_5B6s
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.
User avatar
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Sydney - Lower North Shore
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso


Return to OffShore Reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest