Big Kingscliff Snapper!

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?

Big Kingscliff Snapper!

Postby unsinkable 2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Had a few blokes looking at heading out for a session out from Kingscliff so I figured that I may as well come along!
The launch from the beach wasn't anything too special- I did however mistime it so copped my usual few foamies in the chest instead of having a nice dry bum which ended up sucking a bit as it was pretty damn cold once out there and exposed by the westerly winds!

Started off before the sun got up by jigging up a couple of yakkas to sit in my footwells to use as live baits, during which time a whale swam quite quickly underneath all 5 or 6 of us which was an experience and a half in shallow water- its tail created a massive line of boils which popped up only a few metres away from me!

Headed out and had a look around which is always interesting in a new area- there was plenty of reef and a few fish sitting over it here and there, none of which were deciding to eat my live yakka or plastic which I soon got snagged...
After re-rigging I headed out to some deeper water and started casting my placcy around, and much to my surprise got a hit despite a very bland looking sounder. 40ish cm pannie in the hatch and I was on the board!

It was pretty damn quiet for the next hour or two after that however, with only a couple more half-hearted hits and not much to report from anyone else out on the water. I positioned for another drift off the edge of a patch of reef and dropped my livie down as per usual. The drift was quite fast so I just assumed that it was going down at its normal rate until I put the clicker on to start my drift and instead of holding it in place as per usual the reel let out a good scream- Fish on!!!
I flipped my penn jigmaster out of freespool and let the rod load up to let the circle hook find its place then started pulling up whatever I had hooked from 28 odd metres of water. Some good headshakes and tail beats here and there had me guessing (and quietly hoping for a jewfish) but I was stoked when I saw the shape/colour of a good snapper coming up to the kayak. Had a couple of bad spear-gaff shots hit the guts and slip out due to not having enough flesh to grab, but then landed a solid one in some bone on the head and got him in without drama.

Didn't stick around for too long after that so I paddled back in and rolled at the creek mouth for good measure! Sometimes I don't know what I would do without the hatch on the stealth...
Fish went 84cm and I'd put it at around the 7kg mark- Nice when the drive pays off to a new location and to get a good one in for winter!

rsz_sneppah.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Re: Big Kingscliff Snapper!

Postby PA Pete » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:15 am

Great read, great vid, great fish!! Well done old mate. :wink:
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Postby muzza111 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:52 am

Lovely snapper mate. PS my gaffing skills are so good I prefer a large landing net :wink: I suppose a big net wouldn't fit in your hatch though.
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm
muzza111
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

Postby Pollycraft » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:23 am

A quality specimen. :grin: Nothing like a winter dip in the water to wake you up.
Cheers,
Brad
Pollycraft
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Armidale, New England and Coffs
Kayaks: Adventure Island

Postby BrettoQld » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:17 pm

That's a horse of a fish.
Cheers,
Bretto
BrettoQld
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Scarborough
Kayaks: Esky Lid

Postby unsinkable 2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Cheers all!

muzza111 wrote:I suppose a big net wouldn't fit in your hatch though.

Correct! I had a look at the folding ones but they're too expensive and they can't be operated one-handed so I reckon I'll stick with the stabby things!

Pollycraft wrote:Nothing like a winter dip in the water to wake you up.

Can confirm no caffeine was required that day!
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Postby suncoaster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 pm

nice
suncoaster
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sunshine coast

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 pm

That be one big ugly fish!

Think you need some barbs on your Kage gaff :)
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby pazz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Great snap Owen.
Good to see you have been to the same gaff class as me...I need to catch more fish to get practice with the gaff.
Well done.
Cheers Steve
pazz
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour / Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 105, 2015 Revo 13

Postby Ads22 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Super fish mate! Can't wait to catch one of those beasts. Hell, I'd settle for the little fella for a start!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby rocketV » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:50 pm

The whale encounter would have been worth the trip alone, but to get that snapper was cream :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby Leper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Very Nice! Head out again sometime and enter one into the Social Snapper competition! :lek:
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby unsinkable 2 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:18 am

Cheers again all!

rocketV wrote:The whale encounter would have been worth the trip alone, but to get that snapper was cream :cool:

Was definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in a while- have seen whales before but that was something else

Leper wrote:Very Nice! Head out again sometime and enter one into the Social Snapper competition! :lek:

I will say that as much as I would like to, photographing fish with entry numbers and the like while they are alive on a brag mat offshore isn't exactly a walk in the park!
PBs
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Return to OffShore Reports