Mid season- sunny coast cobia

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?

Mid season- sunny coast cobia

Postby unsinkable 2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 pm

After what felt like waaaay too long between trips and/or a decent fish on the end of my line, I managed to get out for a few sessions while the weather was good in October with the hope of getting stuck into a cobia or two.
First trip was up the beach for a weekend and I was delighted upon arrival in the afternoon to see that the surf was rather tiny for once. I did however forget my deadbaits which proved to be a pretty solid mistake- I thought that I would have a decent shot with livies and lures but alas it was not to be. Crashed camp with a few other guys and went out for a quick afternoon fish for 2 pan-sized snapper to avert the donut for the trip! A few drinks after that then off to bed ready for the morning session. Launch was nice and easy and it was good to have a few people out on the water including some up for the day. I got a couple of yakkas early on and dragged them around for nothing until a couple of monster grinners hit both at once- one on the surface and one midwater. The bastards were so big that they even took drag!!!
Saw Warren hook up to his cobe just as I was about to head in so stayed out for a while so continued throwing my stickbait for a while longer, then changed over to a sinking one (140mm) and picked up a 40cm sweetlip of all things.
Headed back in and it was good to see some solid fish caught- Scotty with a cracker of around 30kg and Warren with an 18kg fish- both on deadbaits :cry: . It was certainly nice to know that they were around!
rsz 1.jpg

The wind then picked up a bit but I decided to head out for an arvo sesh with Greg which once again left me kicking myself for leaving my garfish in the freezer! I ended up fishing with plastics and things for a bit and picked up a decent flathead in 15m of water of all things which was a welcome and tasty surprise. Also had a few whales pop up right in front of me and had one swim straight under the bow of the kayak which warranted some swearing and backpaddling. I then spotted a few bait schools shimmering on the surface so decided to stick around them- was quite impressive the full food chain in action with these large patches of scaddish/trevallyish things milling around and slurping up plankton (which was so thick that I could see clouds of it accumulating on the side of my kayak), but there didn't appear to be anything harassing them as much as I would have liked. After a while drifting around I saw a few fins slicing through the water- it didn't take me long to realise that these were the wing tips of manta rays which were swimming around and feasting on that plankton which got me properly excited. I paddled over and cast a livey straight at one for no joy, then paddled over to another one and tried plastics for still no joy. It was pretty frustrating when I had a pair of manta rays come right up close to my kayak and I could see a very solid cobia underneath them which would I could not get to eat anything for the life of me, but that's fishing! Greg then got a good cast in at one and hooked up so I went over to help with him landing it- it was quite an eventful process with it rolling off his gaff once (after he had given it a few knocks on the head- those things have thick skulls!) then dodging many other shots before finally coming aboard. Had a nice little swim on the way back in too!

The next session was the week after launching at Noosa- launched a bit before 6:00 and headed straight for little halls reef. This time I did not forget my bait! I rigged up a nice big, shiny garfish with 100lb leader and twin 10/0 SL12s once I arrived at the reef and set it to float out the back. I searched around a bit for bait on the sounder but to no avail, but thankfully this didn't seem to matter as on my 2nd drift the ratchet finally let out the growl that I was after!
I was using my wet noodle rod (5-to-something kg snapper special graphite snappy-snappy don't highstick rod) so the more vertical fighting style of this small cobe put any mackerel to shame taking 17 minutes to get him tired enough for a gaff shot but when the time was right I made sure to pin him right in the mouth and got him in without any dramas. At 109cm and about 8-10kgs it did the trick of getting some nice fresh fish in the freezer if nothing else!
22228616_911245322375105_918476986804637552_n.jpg

Anyhoo, bad quality video of decent quality fishing with good quality people- Enjoy!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Re: Mid season- sunny coast cobia

Postby muzza111 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:48 pm

I think the guy holding the tailor is thinking it would have made a great live bait for those massive cobia :grin:
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm
muzza111
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

Postby arpie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:45 pm

hahaha, the guy with the tailor looks like he is feeling decidedly inadequate & 'underwhelmed'! :lol:

Well done on the cobia! Great Video!

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Wow - those grinner are huge!

Oh, the cobia first up are bigger than my kids too. :lol:
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby allwaysyaken » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 pm

the gent with the taloir has had a great day with his mates thats catchen :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :cool:
allwaysyaken
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: coffsharbour

Postby rocketV » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Good stuff!
What program do you use to edit you vids?
I used to use the Youtube video editor but they have scrapped it and I need to find another one that is easy to use and produces good results like yours.
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby unsinkable 2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:01 pm

Cheers all! Davey will be laughing later on when he turns that tailor into a mackerel though :cool:

rocketV wrote:Good stuff!
I used to use the Youtube video editor but they have scrapped it and I need to find another one that is easy to use and produces good results like yours.

I'm using a program called shotcut at the moment- am very impressed with it considering that it was free. Plenty of tutorials out there if you get stuck too- glad to hear you're liking them!
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Postby rocketV » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:03 pm

unsinkable 2 wrote:Cheers all! Davey will be laughing later on when he turns that tailor into a mackerel though :cool:

rocketV wrote:Good stuff!

I'm using a program called shotcut at the moment- am very impressed with it considering that it was free. Plenty of tutorials out there if you get stuck too- glad to hear you're liking them!

Thanks mate, I have just started using shotcut too. I need to spend some more time playing with it to get the most out of it.
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby Ads22 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:35 am

Always enjoy your reports, keep them coming! Cobia, hmmm... that'd be awesome one day!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby unsinkable 2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Ads22 wrote:Always enjoy your reports, keep them coming! Cobia, hmmm... that'd be awesome one day!

Cheers mate, I'm sure there would be more than a few getting around up your way from time to time as well!
PBs
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Postby andybear » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Most enjoyable trip report!

Nice to see the fishy things back again

Cheers andybear :gu:
When in trouble, delegate. When in doubt, mumble
andybear
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Scarborough
Kayaks: Hobie AI.

Postby murd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Does a 30kg cobia actually fit into the hatch, or was it towed alongside back to shore?

Can't see how you could lift 30kg of fish on your lap without tipping over. (I need to know just in case I ever hook something that big!)
murd
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Northern Beaches
Kayaks: Sprite (SIK), Old Town Loon (SIK), Stealth Fisha 460

Postby pavo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:58 pm

What the!
Now that’s awesome
pavo
KFDU 3000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

Postby unsinkable 2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 pm

andybear wrote:Most enjoyable trip report!

Nice to see the fishy things back again

Cheers andybear :gu:

pavo wrote:What the!
Now that’s awesome

Cheers!

murd wrote:Does a 30kg cobia actually fit into the hatch, or was it towed alongside back to shore?

Can't see how you could lift 30kg of fish on your lap without tipping over. (I need to know just in case I ever hook something that big!)

Yep!
I managed to get a bigger cobe (around the 40kg mark and 1.65m) into my 525 last year, and Scotty paddles a 475 so they can definitely be crammed in with a little persuasion!
The basic process with the two fish over 30kg that I've gotten into the yak is to:

1: Make sure the fish is super tired. Big fish playing up yakside/in lap is not fun.
2: Get your feet over the side. If you're worried about sharks to the point of refusing to do this, release the fish (if it's not dead/super tired already). You won't get it in without the extra stability.
3: Slide the head up onto your lap (which can be a pretty solid effort!)
4: Make sure you're balanced. Make damn sure.
5: Slide fish forward and into hatch headfirst in one motion. If you miss you may have some fun!

Here's a video of my second fish over 30kg including landing process near the end which I missed for my cobe. This mackie at 176cm still had some tail sticking out so I swam the yak back through the surf zone to avoid tipping!
PBs
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Return to OffShore Reports