Sunny Coast Jan 2018 - Maiden voyage in the GT

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?

Sunny Coast Jan 2018 - Maiden voyage in the GT

Postby Ads22 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Currently holidaying at the Sunshine Coast, my first order of business was to head to Brisbane on Monday to collect my new (used) blue Viking Profish GT of Nativeman. Thanks Sel, was great to meet you and have a chat. The following day I headed offshore on a charter (arranged by in-laws for Christmas). I was a little dubious about the trip, as the weather was great to be on a kayak instead, and not sure how well I handled boats and the whole 'staring down at the rod tip' thing. With the benefit of hindsight, I can now say that it was well worth the effort. The fishing was pretty quiet but I managed a legal Moses Perch, some Rosy Jobfish and a couple of others that I can't recall. But the icing on the cake was a cracker of a double hook-up on Dolphin Fish. I have never seen them, let alone been fortunate enough to catch one. An 11 year old lad brought in the first - a 1.4m female, while I got onto the second, a 1.4m male. The young fella landed his first, after some assistance and a half hour fight that circumnavigated the boat a couple of times. This was in doubt as there was a 2.5-3m Tiger Shark at the back of the boat investigating the procedures. I played mine further from the boat then brought it in quickly for a quick gaff shot before the shark could get it. Two awesome fish in the boat and mine came home for a couple of very nice feeds for a big group of people. The kids even had sweet chilli, lime and mango Mahi Mahi for breakfast yesterday!

DSCN0092_M.jpg

DSCN0094_M.jpg

20180111_072116_M.jpg

Thursday saw me finally get out on the kayak for a little surf practice straight off Maroochydore beach in front of our units. I didn't take cameras with me and kept things pretty simple. Paddle through the surf zone, which the GT handled pretty well in the small amount of surf; turn around, then paddle back in and try and time the run in or try and ride a wave in. I got a couple of nice little rides in and braced to finish the wave a couple of times, which was cool, but did manage to turtle in the middle of the surf zone on my first attempt. This was handy for re-entry practice and managed that well. This instilled me with some confidence for my first offshore fishing trip today.

DSCN0095_M.jpg

After stealing some time from Jason at Kayak and SUP (Viking Kayaks) while he was insanely flat out, I felt comfortable launching from Moffat's today. As described, the beach was calm and there was no surf at all. An easy launch and a very calm sea. Unfortunately, the activity that had been present over the last week was not happening today. I met a guy, Pete, on the beach and paddled out with him toward Bray's. There was a bit of bait around, but no real bird activity. One or two bust-ups happening but so short-lived that we couldn't get to them in time. I picked up two little fish trolling a Z-Man Streakz in white. The first took off as I started a troll after drifting the plastic out the back. The second surprised me as I had been trolling it as I headed toward Bray's and started to reel in to drop the plastic over some bait when the line pulled back.

DSCN0098_M.jpg

MoffatsFish2_M.jpg

MoffatsBait_M.jpg

A quiet morning out on the water, but a couple of little fish is better than no fish. Another yakker headed up to Currimundi and managed a cracking metre GT that he couldn't recover. Barely fit in his hatch!

Next to trip is all about that bass... I hope!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Sunny Coast Jan 2018 - Maiden voyage in the GT

Postby rocketV » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Cool fish in there! Nice big dolphin fish mate :cool: Lets hope we can get you some Bass action SEQLD style :grin:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby pdfarrell » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:56 am

Nice one Ads!

Not being at all familiar with Vikings, what's the differences between the Reload and the GT?

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby nigel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am

good read mate I've not been on a charter since I got my 1st yak (about 14yrs ago sxxx time flies) anyway hope the GT serve you well mate.

Nigel
ImageImage
nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway, Cobra expedition , DD3 max ski

Postby NorthSIKer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 pm

You have to be happy with those Mahi! It is a fish I've long wanted to tangle with out of a kayak but I pretty much have buckleys and none up here (unless I paddle 100km to the reef). Great eating too. Mahi mahi tacos in Hawaii are a memory I won't forget.

Noticed you are using those snaps on the last fish - how are they working out?
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby Ads22 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 pm

rocketV wrote:Lets hope we can get you some Bass action SEQLD style :grin:

Enjoyed the fishing today, despite my doughnut! Wish I had more time!

pdfarrell wrote:what's the differences between the Reload and the GT?

GT is 3' shorter. I have no rudder on GT at present, so much tighter turning circle/easier to maneuver although doesn't track quite as straight as Reload with rudder. Seemed to hold its own in minor swell and got through small waves ok. Tackle pod transfers between the two, meaning I can use either tackle pod with Garmin echoMAP or Lowrance Elite depending on preference. GT more suited to smaller waterways than Reload.

nigel wrote: hope the GT serve you well

Cheers. I think it will do well. Wind looks heavy for next few days but hoping I can sneak out again before heading back to Rocky.

NorthSIKer wrote:You have to be happy with those Mahi!

Noticed you are using those snaps on the last fish - how are they working out?

Mahi was so fun. One day from a kayak would be awesome. Like a big, pretty blue Tarpon!! Maybe a mothership trip to the reef?? And the taste was bloody great.

Have lost a fish/lure from one of those snaps. Not sure how. Otherwise they've been good, especially for quick lure changes. Am trialling different styles for different lure sizes.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby Nativeman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Great report Adam and good to see the GT fits into your style of fishing.. love the picture of the plate of fish,,, too tasty.

Looking forward to some barra and bass reports..

Cheers
Sel

BUY AUSTRALIAN MADE LURES

SUPPORT A LOCAL

https://onecastlures.com.au/shop/
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: the planet

Return to OffShore Reports