May Mackerel Sessions

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?

May Mackerel Sessions

Postby Pollycraft » Wed May 09, 2018 1:02 pm

It has been a tough offshore season chasing the pelagics and I have barely been out on the water. The ocean has been very cruel to the kayakers with consistently rough seas and unfishable conditions.

Finally, my prayers were answered and everything began to line up. The ocean conditions began to improve, the bait had arrived and there were a few fish around. I was able to convince Benjay, my usual partner in crime, to tag along with me for one last trip to get some pelagics. We fished hard and sometimes the conditions were less than ideal but we were rewarded for our efforts. The slimy mackerel had started to turn up and we knew the fish would not be too far away.

The next couple of mornings yielded some extra large spotties, all hovering around the 100cm mark. The big spotties along with the odd tuna kept us busy each morning but we had come seeking the prized spanish mackerel and would not rest until we had each caught one for the season.
May Trip Mackerel-3.jpg

May Trip Mackerel.jpg

The weather forecast for the final morning of the trip was not looking great. A southerly was predicated to pick up early and make things very uncomfortable. Benjay and I devised a plan to do a quick hit and run session of some of our productive marks. With live bonito and slimy mackerel rigged up, we began our trolling run south with the aim to ride the wind back once it became too rough. Just as conditions began to deteriorate on the low tide change my rod went off and my line exited the reel with exceptional pace. At first, it felt like it could be another extra large spottie but soon the headshakes let me know it was a spanish mackerel.
May Trip Mackerel-2.jpg

It was a great feeling to round out my season with a spanish and to get out on the water with some mates as well. My mind is already thinking about the next season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Brad
Pollycraft
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Armidale, New England and Coffs
Kayaks: Adventure Island

Re: May Mackerel Sessions

Postby rocketV » Wed May 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Nice fish! Good reward for braving the conditions :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby pazz » Fri May 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Well done, some quality fish.
My mackerel season was a complete wipe-out.
Fished hard a few times and watched fish caught by neighbour kayakers but zip for me.
Seemed to be foiled most other weekends with crap weather.
All up a very quite mack season in the Coffs area.
Fingers crossed for a better snapper season.
Cheers
Steve
pazz
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour / Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 105, 2015 Revo 13

Postby unsinkable 2 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:08 pm

good stuff mate! It's been a bit of a funny season up here too- the fish have generally been there but they only seem to have been biting really early on in the morning just before or around sunrise. have had a couple of sessions where I could see a few fish cruising under the yak completely uninterested in eating anything
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Postby Jamie D » Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Mate some ripper fish there awesome
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Return to OffShore Reports