Super Solo Snapper Session

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?

Super Solo Snapper Session

Postby Brendon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:23 am

Boy its been a while between TR's for me....Unfortunately it reflects how little time I have spent on the water in the last 6 months and a few donuts...

Anyhow this Saturday Morning found me with a wind window to fish a favourite metro inshore reef system where I usually target Samson fish and pick up a snapper or two as a bonus but my usual partners in crime Paul and Joel were both home with new babies born hours apart a couple of months ago so decided to launch solo well before sparrows fart .

After dodging some very shady looking characters hanging around the launch I get out to the reef 15 mins before first light and soon find some serious arches on my new Lowrance Elite 7TI.
20180618_213503.jpg

Within a few miutes I have a solid hook up on a squid rigged that takes off a powerful run but within a few minutes I have been busted off and am soon inspecting a rubbed through leader Bugger....

A quick pedal back to the mark I set on the school pick up my other rod rigged with a scalie and again I have a solid hook up , A short fight and I have a lovely 75 cm snapper in the fishbag .
snapper early bird.JPG

A quick retie of leader on the first rod and new squid and Scalie in place its action stations again . A quick scan around with the side imaging once again locates a serious bunch of arches .The scalie wafts down and soon I am loading the rod steadily to set the circle hooks on what would turn out to be a 65cm snapper. At this point Paul messages me asking how I am going ...funny you should ask ..a few pics soon answer his enquiry .
snapper2aa.JPG

With my bag limit of snapper on board I start to troll dead slow a whole fresh squid and also have a whole scalie out .

Its not too long before the squid is hammered and a really strong run has me chasing after the fish and trying to steer it away from the reef .I turns it head and eventually get this eighty ish snapper onboard for a quick picture and release
snapper3.JPG

Number 4 .Check out his mates on the sounder !
snapper1518small.JPG

Number 5 no picture... similar size to previous 2 .

Once again trolling I get a big hook up on the squid which with contempt for my efforts busts me off on a reef after a few minutes but just as this happens the scalie gets taken .Frantically winding in the first rod I turn the yak and take off after the second fish to unload the rod enough to get it out of the PA's rear rold holder (almost lost a rod last year the same way... leash it or...) A good scrap later I have a cracking snapper in the mid 80's in the yak for a quick snap shot before release.

hooked to number 6 and off he goes
20180627_201123.jpg

Come to daddy...
snapper6.jpg

such pretty fish
snapper6b.jpg

see ya next time … maybe we could catch up for dinner,,,
snapper6c.jpg

The rest of the morning continues in the same manner with big arches stampeding over my sounder screen . Ended up landing 6 snapper for the morning and 4 bust offs and left them biting at 10.30 am to meet Paul and Tina on the beach.
received_1799816116745913.JPG

Cheers Brendon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Re: Super Solo Snapper Session

Postby arpie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:06 pm

AWESOME, Brendon!! You are making it look like NZ snapper fishing!!! :gu: :gu:

Make sure you whack that in the new Fishing Comp Report Comp here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=51584

I reckon that could take it out!!!

cheerio

Roberta

BUGGER!! You'll have to go out again! The comp only starts NEXT month, July!!! :beye:
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby rocketV » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:16 pm

wow! that is the kind of snapper session most of can only dream of, well done :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby mirage583 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:29 am

That's better than sex
mirage583
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: coffs harbour

Postby Fletch » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 am

Fantastic session. Well done. They are a beautiful fish.
Fletch
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 41.2cm, Bonito 58cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm and one monster squid 107.5cm overall..... Watch ths space.

Member of the South Coast Kayak Fisho's and Wollongong Sportfishing Club.
Fletch
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Hobie Revo and Viking Nemo

Return to OffShore Reports