Getting jiggy at Ironpot

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?

Getting jiggy at Ironpot

Postby Ads22 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 am

Wednesday is a fishing day, or so it seems! Nathan messaged me and asked where I was heading Wednesday. My response 'wind down, swell down, wouldn't mind beach'. After a few thoughts, we settled on Mulambin Beach launch, just south of Bluff Point, where you can drive onto the beach and down to the water's edge. Meeting at first light, I found Nathan already at the water's edge with yak loaded and ready. I raced about getting my yak unloaded and packed, then the ute back to the little car park. We were straight out onto calm water at low tide for another nice sunrise. Waves were about toenail high! Fishing the rocky headland, it wasn't long until I realised I had no water on board and raced back to the ute to grab a drink bottle - I didn't need to shorten the day in the sun with a headache!

20180801_062717_M.jpg

20180801_063300_M.jpg

20180801_063728_M.jpg

Back on the water, we drifted out and around the headland, casting as we went. Pretty soon we found a few Pike, landing several consecutively. While it's not exactly what we came for, it was nice to at least have some scales on the legs! I had a little flick with a popper, but soon changed to the deeper diving black magic Slam 59. After a few casts, I got onto my first non-Pike fish of the day, a nice little cod - I can't settle on what type, but it's cool, nevertheless.

Leopard_M.jpg

Moving around the headland, the fishing was surprisingly quiet, with so much rock around and beneath us, and plenty of weed. The water was so clear, we wondered if perhaps the fish were a bit spooky. However, we pushed on. The wind picked up for a little, increasing the drift speed in a northerly direction with the swell. We tucked in behind the headland for a little, however, with things being quiet except for a few more Pike, we decided to head out to Ironpot (Bluff Rock) where a few boats had been sitting, most having moved on by now.

As we began trolling, my lines quickly became tangled :grr: , so I stopped and untangled them. Nathan had paddled ahead and shortly I caught up with him at the island. We cast along the western side and drifted north towards the sheltered side of the island.

Casting_M.jpg

Things were still quiet, but after a little work, I finally found a patch of fish on the sounder. I had been flicking hardbodies, and a few plastics with no result, so changed to a 8g Storm Gomoku Micro Jig in striped Naked Flash Zebra (silver/lumo) colour. In no time, the Pike began to jump into the yak, one after another. Things had been quiet again, so it was nice to see the rod bend again. I played with them for a little and eventually the rod really gave a pull, finally peeling some line from the reel. After a few good runs, the fish bit through the 15lb leader. I was excited but a little frustrated. Finally a fish more worth fighting, but it was gone. Not to be deterred, I quickly re-tied and clipped on another micro jig in Green Sardine colour and set back to work. It was only 10 minutes later and I was busted off again! This both boosted and dashed my spirits a little. But at least they were biting!

BiteOff_M.jpg

I toyed with the idea of making my leader heavier, but wasn't sure the microguides on the rod would handy something as heavy as 30lb and didn't have an intermediate size. I re-tied again and, yet again, clipped on another micro jig, this time a UV Silver Pink one that came in a Yak Fisher magazine pack some time ago. I kept casting and only 10 minutes later, I finally came upon a better fight. This time I was towed briefly before landing a small Doggy Mackerel going 39cm. Nathan was finding things tougher, as he couldn't find anything but Pike and even they were inconsistent.

LilDog39_M.jpg

HolyMackerel_M.jpg

The very next cast I hooked up again. This time the fight was a bit different, and up came a slimy Wolf Herring. I paddled over and offered it to the guy in the remaining boat, but after a 'thanks, but no thanks' I set it free. I kept on fishing and reasonably quickly came upon a couple more Wolf Herring, the largest going about 50cm. It was becoming a hot little bite, but after a few more Pike, things quietened again. At one point, I stopped and looked at Nathan re-tieing and laughed as I flicked my lure ahead of him "I'll see if I can catch one right in front of you." A few lifts later I was hit and dropped, then a few lifts later was on again. Unfortunately for my joke, it was only a Pike. :lol:

Wolf2_M.jpg

Wolfie_M.jpg

Amongst the Pike, I sent a cast into No Man's Land and came up with another species for the day, with a little Bumpnose Trevally coming aboard. One boat left, leaving behind a floating balloon. I headed off and picked it up, then came back, only to hook up to another little Trev. We even had a few dolphins playing around for a while.

TrevFin_M.jpg

Dolphin1_M.jpg

A few boats turned up and one stopped right in our drift line and decided it appropriate to turn the music up nice and loud. I suspect he was trying to get others to pack up and leave, despite getting there after most of us! As the tide worked its way toward a high, the current was pushing in past a little point and sand bar. We began flicking toward this point, having seen a few fish there. It wasn't long and I hooked another better fish. This one towed me around a little, and having already been busted off twice, and running low on micro jigs, I played it easy. With some patience, I had a better Mackerel in the yak, still under sized, but going 44cm.

Mack2_M.jpg

We persisted with the boat company a little longer and I soon I found another Wolfie that leapt and spat the hook as I netted tried to net it. At least it saved me removing the hook!

WolfSpit_M.jpg

I changed over to a 15g Halco Twisty, hoping the slightly larger size might protect me from bite-offs and save my micro jig for another outing. However, on the third cast I was again bitten off! I switched up to the 20g but wasn't able to elicit any further attention, so flicked through a few lures and tried the northeastern point of the island before heading back around to the western side of the rock. With the fishing slowing down, we headed for the rocky headland of Bluff Point hoping for some cod or even some harder fighting beasts like Nathan's fingermark last trip. I was on a bit of a time limit, so didn't fish overly hard as we went back towards the launch. A few bait schools moved through beneath us in the crystal clear water but only a few Pike made their way into Nathan's yak. I barely had a touch here, but didn't try overly hard, either. Eventually, off the water at 2:30pm, it had been a top day on the water and I had a lot of fun with 5 species of fish including the targeted Mackerel, despite nothing being of overly large size.

The hero of the day was the Gomoku Micro Jig! This little battler had the fish biting!

20180802_203224_M.jpg

Happy to get some Mackerel aboard, but now looking for something I can feed on!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Getting jiggy at Ironpot

Postby hillbilly » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Ah the memories. The only time I ever fished Ironpot was back in 1980. I drove onto Mulambin Beach in my HT Holden with my boat on the roof racks and got bogged right near the calm waterline. After taking the boat off I went to reverse back a bit to turn around and park the car but the back wheels kept spinning. I had a friends son with me and sent him off to find someone to tow me out as the tide was on the rise. By the time help arrived the water was up to the car door and silly me (27 years old and invincible) left the car in gear with the handbrake on. To cut a long story short, salt water went into the interior of my car. While the car was drying out I still motored out to Ironpot and we caught absolutely heaps of small Mackeral like the ones in your photos on chromes. I bought a great Daihatsu F20 4WD after that and drove up the beach to Fishing Creek often. It wasn't a recreation only fishing place then like it is now though. Needless to say I never fished Ironpot again as I was transferred to Brisbane at the end of 1980. I always like your reports from up that way up. Regards Bill.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Return to OffShore Reports