All things slimy

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

All things slimy

#1 Post by Ads22 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:17 am

For this week's Wednesday session I headed solo off Ironpot and Double Heads in the hope of a Mackerel or two. The plan was to head out to Ironpt, then across to Double Heads and maybe fish along the harbour wall for a bit. I was greeted by a lovely sunrise and calm water and headed straight out to the island.
Sun3_M.jpg
Sun4_M.jpg
I trolled a pearl Z-Man Diezel Minnowz and a White/Black Bomber across and as I arrived near the island I realised my rod was mildly bowed. I retrieved it with not much of a kick thinking I had some weed, by lo-and-behold, it was a Wolf Herrring. Releasing the slimy fish and cleaning the stringy slime from a hands, I headed around to the northern side of the island and started working the edge of the island and some deeper water.
Wolf1_M.jpg
It didn't take long to find the Barracuda and soon I lost count of the number I had landed. I kept one and put a small chunk out the back to drift while I flicked lures. The Gomoku microjig was doing plenty of work and soon I was snipped off and had to replace it. As the sun rose further, the Wolfies turned on a bit more and I was getting hit after hit with multiple fish chasing the lure back to the kayak. I even managed to find a patch of small mixed Trevally species, enticing them on plastic and microjig, and tried to get some footage of them chasing the jig, with a little clip below.

Trev1_M.jpg
Trev2_M.jpg
Wolf2_M.jpg
After a while I managed to find a mackerel, landing an undersized School Mackerel on a piece of 'cuda.
Mack1_M.jpg
A little later I was hit again on the drifting 'cuda chunk and a nice fight ensued with a larger model. This one peeled some line on the Slammer III and managed to evade the net when the circle hook slipped from the corner of the mouth. It hovered next to the kayak but I was unable to net it after it slipped off. There goes dinner!! :cry:
Mack2_M.jpg
MackMisfire_M.jpg

As I began to play with the Wolf Herring again, a few boats turned up, with one guy dropping a metal lure to the bottom and being nailed first cast, only to be bitten off. He was hit again on the next cast and landed a reasonable size doggy. The other boats chimed in and one of the other guys managed a mackerel, too. I had gone to find another Pike or two to hang out the back in the hope a bigger Mackerel might jump on that as I dropped the lures down. The school seemed to move on quickly and the action was over quickly.

With no more action on the Wolfies or Mackerel down deeper, I decided to push over to Double Heads where Rosslyn Bay Harbour is situated. I trolled across without a hit and as I arrived I could see a few boats sitting a little way out from the headland and fishermen on the rocks casting slugs and the like. I sat a little off the rocks and sent a few casts towards the structure with little interest, so sent a 20g Halco Twisty down deep and let it hit the bottom, then ripped it up quickly. It only took a few efforts and I hooked up, soon landing another small Mackerel in the 45cm range. The next cast I hooked up again with a similar sized fish. A hot bite ensued, with a nearby boat landing a few as well. I managed to land a handful of undersized doggies and was busted off a couple of times and had a stack of missed hookups and dropped hooks. I eventually had to resort to a 10g Halco as I had run out of my supply of larger, fast sinking metals on board.
Mack3_M.jpg
MackNoPhotoThanks_M.jpg
MackRelease_M.jpg
The wind soon picked up and the bite dropped off, as the E-SE wind swell criss-crossed with the prevailing NE swell, things got a little more uncomfortable. I had to be back for school drop off, so paddled back toward Ironpot, flicked the lure a few times, then trolled back around the Bluff headland to the launch site, picking up a little 'cuda along the way.

It wasn't a stellar session in terms of large fish, and all the slimy things were released (although perhaps I shall take a Wolf or two for bigger Mackerel some day). However, when landing plenty of fish for the day, it was definitely a lot of fun! There were also the usual visits with turtles and dolphins.

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Re: All things slimy

#2 Post by rocketV » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 pm

action packed! lots of things with sharp teeth in your neck of the woods mate :gu:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#3 Post by Leper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Nice mixed bag of Pelagics there Ads! Do you re kon there are any bigger models out there?
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#4 Post by Ads22 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:53 am

rocketV wrote:action packed! lots of things with sharp teeth in your neck of the woods mate :gu:
And they only get bigger, but I'd be happy with something just slightly bigger for the pan next trip!
Leper wrote:Nice mixed bag of Pelagics there Ads! Do you re kon there are any bigger models out there?
Yes Brad, I am hoping to get one some day, too! A 170cm Spaniard was caught off the rocks around where I was fishing around the same time! Beast of a fish! Would be a struggle on the gear I was using, though!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Return to “OffShore Reports”