Currarong Fires Up

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?
muzza111
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

Currarong Fires Up

#1 Post by muzza111 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:32 pm

I launched at first light into great conditions, a metre of swell hardly any wind and estimated 22-23 degree blue water. I set about catching a couple of yellowtail for live baits, ended up finding them on the western edge of lobster island. Rigged one free swimming further back and weighted one down about 10-15 metres with a large ball sinker on the mainline and headed off for the cliffs of beecroft. Today I decided to sit a little wider of the cliffs than usual for 2 reasons:

1) hooking a king in deeper water would give me a better chance of not getting reefed
2) A marlin hook up seemed quite possible

It was about 8am before my first hit with what turned out to be a 62cm king - 3 cm undersize
I pulled the hooks on what felt like a smaller fish next.
Later on came another decent fight, this one looked a little better, would he make 65cm?? NOPE 64cm :roll:

And then just as the seabreeze was starting to puff I hooked another in shallower water (10 metres) as I was making my way back. I worked him up reasonably easily but then had to lay the rod down with the drag backed off while I pulled on the trace and went for a tail grab, he kept finding a surge of energy every time I pulled on the trace and it must have taken about 6 attempts before I got him aboard. He didn't look much longer than the other two but was much fatter, I was very relieved to measure him and find him comfortably legal at 69 - 70cm.

Interestingly every hit was on the deep bait, which was convenient as it's my heaviest setup - Saragossa 20,000 running 40lb mono mainline and 80lb leader on a 24kg T Curve rod. Even this setup hasn't been enough to keep my last couple of kings I've hooked out of the reef, obviously they were far larger fish.
70cmkingsmall.jpg
kingmeasuresmall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

Re: Currarong Fires Up

#2 Post by coattail rider » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:41 pm

niiiice
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 74cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 58cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 50cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm,Bonito 47cm Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)

Return to “OffShore Reports”