An interesting August

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?
deryck
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: -Perth

An interesting August

#1 Post by deryck » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:28 pm

The Humble Squid
It had been a while since I had a feed of fresh squid. I invited a kayak fishing Buddy Lei and without hesitation, he accepted. We trolled our usual squidding grounds and it didn’t take long for both of us to bag out.
A Mixed Bag
My fishing buddy Brendon had been trying for weeks to get me to one of his snapper spots. Finally, the stars aligned and we found ourselves at the mark. Unfortunately, we could not find any above the legal size of 50cm. Juvenile Samson fish provided light entertainment for most of the morning. We moved towards an anchored boat and were told they were getting good sized silver Trevally just beneath their boat. They invited me to pedal up close and drop a line where the Trevally were. Up came a few and these were quickly dispatched for consumption later. A pair of tarwhine also decided to make the trip home with me.

The school soon dispersed so we headed back to the original snapper spot. A nice Flathead took a whole squid. This was followed shortly by a good fish which turned out to be a samsonfish.

The samsonfish was turned into Samson Belly Sashimi...

Samson Chirashi...

And a Gyotaku art piece.

Snapper At Last
Desperate for a feed of snapper, I made plans with another kayakfishing buddy Brad, to fish another spot at night. For this session, Brad used soft plastics and I used locally caught squid. Brad did exceptionally well, hooking 4 good fish. He kept 2, released one, and was busted off by another. I was happy to land one on my new light rod and size 2500 reel.

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Re: An interesting August

#2 Post by Brendon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:40 am

Lovely first TR Deryck. As always love your artistic skills with food and the Goyotaku.The samson print is sweet.
I should point out that the Brad deryck is talking about is Brad Patman who is a whiz at catching snapper on Damiki Soft Plastics from comp sponsor Rob Searing .

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to our next adventure.
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#3 Post by rocketV » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:35 pm

very cool :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#4 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Wow - that Samson Chirashi is exactly my style of food.

How do you troll for squid (and what species are they)? I only have got them casting from island beaches up here (but they can be plentiful at times doing that).

deryck
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by deryck » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks guys. I use a normal squid jig for trolling. Depth is 2-5m, over weedbeds or broken ground. The jig is cast to the back and I start pedaling. I fish from a hobie so my hands are free to whip the rod to impart a darting action. Most squid take the jig during the fall, after the whip. I mark the spot and work the same spot. Sometimes they are in schools of 2-6. They are Southern Calamari. Sepioteuthis lessoniana.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#6 Post by NorthSIKer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:04 pm

deryck wrote:Thanks guys. I use a normal squid jig for trolling. Depth is 2-5m, over weedbeds or broken ground. The jig is cast to the back and I start pedaling. I fish from a hobie so my hands are free to whip the rod to impart a darting action. Most squid take the jig during the fall, after the whip.
Thanks deryck.

Unfortunately I have a paddle yak. I should really have more of a go from a kayak for them though. I can certainly cast and jig. And I do wonder if a slow troll over the right areas might pick them up (I mostly get them on a slow steady retrieve from the beach).
deryck wrote: They are Southern Calamari. Sepioteuthis lessoniana.
Thanks - they looked like Sepioteuthis lessoniana to me which is the same bigfin/tiger squid we have up here. Great eating and easy to catch when they are about. I'm pretty sure Southern Calamari is another species?

mirage583
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: coffs harbour

#7 Post by mirage583 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 pm

there aren't too many things out of the ocean that are better than salt and pepper squid, i should make an effort to have a go at sqiuding

deryck
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by deryck » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:27 am

Apologies. Should be Sepioteuthis Australis, Southern Calamari. Sepioteuthis lessoniana is the Tiger squid or Northern Calamari.

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#9 Post by Ads22 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:09 pm

A great first up report deryck, and some nice fish to boot! Love the look of the food, too! I look forward to more reports coming in! Seems to be a very productive part of the country.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Return to “OffShore Reports”