Permit-ion to be surprised. What a Cracker! with video

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Permit-ion to be surprised. What a Cracker! with video

#1 Post by Ads22 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 pm

I finally got a chance to get out on my Fishing Wednesday. With commitments this weekend, I tried to make the most of the conditions. The wind was still expected to be up a little, as it has been for a while, and is likely to be for some days to come. With school drop off in the morning, it would be a late start. I took a punt on it being a little calmer than forecast and was quite thankful to arrive at the launch and find that I had guessed right.

There had been a strong Trichodesmium bloom and it had washed right in to shore. The shore was covered in a thick, muddy-looking muck and the odour was quite prominent. There were patches of the algae present on the ocean still, too. I loaded the Reload quickly and was straight through the muck into a pretty minor swell. The wind was mild, too. I headed around Haven Point first, aiming to fish along the rocks, but the algal bloom was present, making it difficult to find the underwater structure.

The cross current around the point was a little uncomfortable for me at times, but nothing that was unbearable. I worked around the point and finally got a little hit but didn’t hook up. A short while later I finally found some bait, but couldn’t relocate it and with things looking deathly quiet I decided it was time to head to the next headland and reef for a look.

As I headed north, beyond the shark net, I trolled a white 4” Z-Man Diezel Minnowz and a metal slug through patches of the algae in about 4 metres of water. Reaching the end of the shark net, I decided to switch over to a diving hardbody on the heavy line and retrieved the slug. Nearing the net, I pulled out a little before clipping on the new lure then the plastic went off. The drag went briefly, but then it felt like a dead weight. With my hand on the spool, I applied some pressure and it took off. Great, a ray! Nothing all morning then I hook a ray! In moments it was headed fast toward the shark net and I felt immediately undergunned on the Pflueger Trion 3-6kg rod and little Pflueger Salt Finesse 30x reel. It didn’t take long until I felt the grating of the line along rope. But, as I neared the marker buoy rope, I noticed my line had caught in the tag of a knot. I quickly flicked the line clear as the line pulled, then had to pass the rod under the rope and reverse away from the marker. It was now that I realised the line had become caught under the rudder in the preceding commotion. With a little side saddle action, I managed to release the tangle and began turning the Reload around, all the while line pulling from the reel.
Underandover_M.jpg
Supbuoys_M.jpg
Ruddertangle_M.jpg
Having turned the yak around, I was able to settle into the battle, being towed further toward the shore as I retrieved line in a bit of a hurry. As I neared the catch, it stayed deep and I felt what I thought might be a tail flicking on the line occasionally. But it still seemed to be fighting like a ray, heavy, digging deep with long hard runs. Still in 4 metres of water, I tussled with it for a while before it headed back out to sea. Expecting it to start towing me along, I was surprised to see the line begin to cut higher and higher through the water until a massive silver fish surfaced. I was excited to find a fish and not a ray on the line. At first, I thought it was some sort of Trevally (and continued to think so until finally determined later in the day) and must confess I feel rather silly saying Trevally so many times throughout the fight on video!
NotARay_M.jpg
The fight continued and finally I had the fish beside the kayak. It was too big to net, but I wasn’t prepared to gaff it as I wasn’t sure I’d be taking it home anyway. I placed a glove on one hand in expectation of scutes around the tail, but managed to grab the leader. I tried to handline the fish a little, but it still had some fight left and doubled the rod over (I had failed to release the bail arm) and almost snapped the tip! As the fish dived, I found my line had wrapped around the tip and I had to clear this tangle before the fish stripped the runners or stole my rod!
Permitfight1_M.jpg
Permitfight2_M.jpg
The fight then continued as the fish peeled enough line from me to hang deep below me. With the weight of the fish and it flattening out in the water, I had trouble raising it to the surface on the lighter rod and reel. After a number of minutes more, I finally had the fish yak-side and at first attempted to net it, having done so with large barra and the likes previously. With a large head, I failed to get the weight continuing into the net to subdue the fish, so switched to grabbing the leader. With a little fiddling, I managed to get a hand under the gill flap and let out a very happy “woohoo!”
Permit3_M.jpg
Permitselfie1-1_M.jpg
Permitselfie2-1_M.jpg
Permitselfie3-1_M.jpg
Permitselfierelease1_M.jpg
Measuring the fish at 85cm, I got some video stills and released the fish, which turned out to be a Permit, or Giant Oyster Cracker (as confirmed by Morgan Grant of Grant’s Guide to Fishes). A first for me and a cool by-catch, when they are typically targeted in more shallow water on fly. I was certainly aware of Permit prior to this, and no some local charters like to help people get onto them but hadn’t come across any myself.

The fight had taken over 20 minutes, so I sat for a few moments soaking it in before heading onward to Ritamada Reef. I headed straight past the point to the reef and searched for bait and fish. I spotted a few Mackerel chasing bait, but couldn’t raise them, so headed to the eastern side of the reef in the deeper water. There was zero action, but eventually I found a large school of baitfish and had my plastic snipped off on the drop without even seeing a flutter in the line. I also had bait smashed on the surface right next to the kayak, which gave me quite a fright.

The fish seemed to be starting to heat up as I saw a bust up off to my left. I retrieved the soft vibe I had been using and sent it in the vicinity of the bust up and hooked up promptly. Retrieving line quickly at first, the fish took off hard peeling some drag. I managed to turn the head and again retrieved line as the Mackerel swam straight at me before the hooks pulled right near the yak! Bugger!

I continued around this area and a few minutes later hooked up again. I could see quickly that this was a reasonably sized School Mackerel and as it came near the kayak with little fight the first time, I could see it was hooked into the head. It began fighting when it came near me and took a couple of short sharp runs. As I reached out to net the fish, the hooks pulled. Again! The Macks just weren’t happening for me today.

I kept on fishing and pushed back around the southern edge of the reef and finally had another follow on a soft plastic, but couldn’t raise another hit. With the Mackerel not really playing the game the way I wanted, I decided it was time to head home.

I hadn’t expected it to be a great day once I saw the bloom on the water, but was pleasantly surprised to land an awesome fish. The others didn’t stay hooked, but that’s life. Hopefully I can get onto another Permit in the future, they certainly can put up a good fight.

Until next time, cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

dirvin21
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Nambucca Heads
Kayaks: sit-on fisherman

Re: Permit-ion to be surprised. What a Cracker! with video

#2 Post by dirvin21 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:25 am

awesome Ads.. that's a cracking by-catch
PB: BASS: 47cm, SNAPPER: 62cm, TAILOR: 60cm, BREAM: 43cm, FLATHEAD: 65cm, GOLDEN PERCH: 52cm, JEW: 33cm

NSW NORTH COAST KAYAK FISHING CLUB

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#3 Post by arpie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:25 am

CRACKER of a Permit!! And on a Soft Plastic as well - usually they take crab imitations! Great fight! Well done
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#4 Post by rocketV » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:18 pm

I can imagine the tension in the kayak with all that tangling and maneuvering! Well done and great patience to get that fish to the yak :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#5 Post by Marty75 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:37 pm

What a great fish!

I love my 3-6kg Trion rod, they are awesome value for the price (mine was around $60).

Well done

Marty

SpiritFisha
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg
Kayaks: Spirit CTR, Ocean Scupper Angler

#6 Post by SpiritFisha » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am

Great catch, particularly on a 3 - 6kg rod. Had that feeling of being 'under-gunned' on the ocean a few time myself and now generally use 6 - 10 kg rods when going on the ocean. You never know what you're going to hook when fishing the ocean, and that memory of the big one that got away never seems to leave you. But on the other hand that is sometime what makes us going back next week again. Seems you had to work for that wish, well done.
Spirit CRT
If I'm not fishing, I'm thinking about it....

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#7 Post by Ads22 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks guys, still pretty rapt to see it come in and land it safely. As I say in the video, 'it's just exciting seeing it come up every time!"
Marty75 wrote: I love my 3-6kg Trion rod, they are awesome value for the price (mine was around $60).
Marty
Yeah, I like it a lot more now having shortened the butt. Prior to shortening it I liked it land based but not so much from the yak. Shorter allows me to work the lures better in the seated position.
SpiritFisha wrote:Great catch, particularly on a 3 - 6kg rod. Had that feeling of being 'under-gunned' on the ocean a few time myself and now generally use 6 - 10 kg rods when going on the ocean. You never know what you're going to hook when fishing the ocean, and that memory of the big one that got away never seems to leave you. But on the other hand that is sometime what makes us going back next week again. Seems you had to work for that wish, well done.
I use the 3-6kg rod for small Mackerel as it makes it interesting. If the dolphins or sharks are around I'll switch to the 5-10kg rod. If the weather is kind this weekend, I may even take a heavier unit and consider throwing some surface lures around a different reef. But that is something I'm really keen to do down at 1770 some time soon, especially! Anyone want to come for a trip? :lol:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

#8 Post by unsinkable 2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Yep that beats a schoolie any day! Well done mate
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

Pollycraft
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Armidale, New England and Coffs
Kayaks: Adventure Island

#9 Post by Pollycraft » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Epic catch! Such a cool fish.
Cheers,
Brad

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#10 Post by Ads22 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:19 pm

unsinkable 2 wrote:Yep that beats a schoolie any day! Well done mate
Cheers. Yep, beats a schoolie for sure.
Pollycraft wrote:Epic catch! Such a cool fish.
That they are! :cool:
Yak PBs

Return to “OffShore Reports”