Tasman Peninsula

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Tasman Peninsula

Postby spork » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Loaded.

I just got back from a week on the Tasman Peninsula with my wife (and sometimes fishing partner) Jen. While many regard this area as “The Capital” for big-game (marlin, shark and tuna) fishing in Tasmania, our quarry were more accessible – Jen loves flathead, so they were the target species for the week. We fished every day bar one, sometimes twice a day, and caught plenty each time. While numbers weren’t a problem, size was. Probably only one in every 5-6 fish were legal size, but regardless of that we both had a ball.

Fresh flathead and "chips sort-of", all done on the Baby-Q

Jen likes a Dark 'n Stormy.

She fished from my Hobie Pro Angler and loved the comfy Vantage seat. I used her outback with a jerry-rigged tiller on the rudder (tiller fell off in transit) and was glad for the seat mod. I’d done on it a couple of years ago. Tiller was replaced with a small carabiner clip and some zip ties. Not perfect, but it got the job done, with the nearest Hobie dealer 3+ hours drive away.

Bush Mechanics.

We stayed at White Beach caravan park and only had to paddle (pedal) a few meters from the launch site to find fish, and the launch site was only about 50m from out campsite. The little bay was fairly sheltered, even with 30kph winds one afternoon Jen was able to fish fairly comfortably.

The view from our campsite.

Bloody crowds...

I did manage a couple of short solo sessions to try and find a bream. Bank bashing a nearby creek showed me it held bream, but I couldn’t get them to co-operate. Scrub bashing into a nearby lagoon proved fruitless. There were some small baitfish, but I didn’t see any bream in there. I went back to the creek with a kayak on our 3rd last day when it was too windy to fish the bay, I saw some absolute donkeys in there, hooked a few, including one unstoppable, (on 4lb) but didn’t manage to get any to the net. Still a very enjoyable session. The only thing that detracted from it was the state of the small creek. It looks like some of the locals must use it as their sewer, with partly decomposed (toilet?) tissue littering the edges in many parts.

On a whole thought the area has some magnificent scenery. We spent the best part of a day driving and (short) walking to various features – Remarkable Cave, the Tessellated Pavement, Tasman Arch, the Devil’s Kitchen and the Blowhole. Of course I left the camera in the kayak that day…
So. Tasman Peninsula – certainly a great place to chase the apex predators of the piscatorial world – but also a top spot for bread and butter species like flathead, squid and bream. Add to that some great scenery, more secluded, deserted little beaches than you can poke a stick at, and $15 fresh fish and calamari for 2 at Dunalley and it all adds up to a fantastic place to spend a weekend – or a week – or more.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Re: Tasman Peninsula

Postby arpie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:01 pm

Wow! Sounds like a terrific week! Great to see that Jen enjoyed getting out as much as you did - so pleased the flatties 'played the game' and gave you some feeds.

haha love your bush mechanics on the rudder tiller!! Well done. Will it be easy to replace or will you just leave the 'fix' in place??

'Dark & Stormy' looks yummy, too!

Shame you got done on the 4lb ...... shame the locals seem to use the creek as a toilet! :( Were you in a recognised camp ground, or just free camping, like at Ansons?

Well done - looking forward to more posts soon with monster Tassie bream! :lek:

cheers

Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby spork » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:19 pm

arpie wrote:Wow! Sounds like a terrific week! Great to see that Jen enjoyed getting out as much as you did - so pleased the flatties 'played the gae' and gave you some feeds.

haha love your bush mechanics on the rudder tiller!! Well done. Will it be easy to replace or will you just leave the 'fix' in place??

'Dark & Stormy' looks yummy, too!

Shame you got done on the 4lb ...... shame the locals seem to use the creek as a toilet! :( Were you in a recognised camp ground, or just free camping, like at Ansons?

Well done - looking forward to more posts soon with monster Tassie bream! :lek:

cheers

Roberta

Hey Roberta.
Tiller (Steering Handle) is a $15 part, have ordered a replacement from SLH today. The carabiner worked but was not ideal.
We were staying in a caravan park, the creek was a few k's away. Some houses nearby, and a caravan in a shed, which I'd suspect may be the main culprit.
Most the bream were way up the top of the little creek, could see their backs out of the water, under a shrub, in a section probably only 1m wide, where I couldn't get a cast in. Eventually I spooked them and a few actually bumped the bottom of the 'yak when they exited!
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby PA Pete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Great report Spork, you have some beautiful pic's, well done on the flatties, looking forward to more. :wink:
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Postby mouse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:57 pm

"How's the serenity"
Tassie is a beautiful part of the country, from amazing rugged mountains to pristine golden beaches.
Tnx for sharing :wink:
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby JEP » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks for the great descriptions and photos. Must have been a great trip. What can beat serenity and goos fishing.

Cheers John
JEP
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: North Brisbane. Pine River, Pumicestone Passage
Kayaks: PA12, Ocean cheapie

Postby Grimbo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks for the report. What a lovely part of Tassie.

I'll be down there in late march, hoping to go for a fish in Scamander river whilst I'm there.

Cheers
Yak PB's
75cm Carp, 75-80cm Murray Cod, 48cm Yella, 38cm FL Redfin, 31cm FL Bass, 52cm Flathead, 41cm Bream
Grimbo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra, South Coast
Kayaks: Mad River Adventure 14, 2014 Hobie Outback

Postby spork » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:29 am

Grimbo wrote:Thanks for the report. What a lovely part of Tassie.

I'll be down there in late march, hoping to go for a fish in Scamander river whilst I'm there.

Cheers

Jen and I are off to Scammander tomorrow. This time last year it was sensational as the spawning bream from St Helens were "trapped" in there (bar was closed).
Bar has been open for months, so won't be as good - but still a nice spot for a paddle and a flick.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Grimbo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 am

Jen and I are off to Scammander tomorrow. This time last year it was sensational as the spawning bream from St Helens were "trapped" in there (bar was closed).
Bar has been open for months, so won't be as good - but still a nice spot for a paddle and a flick.

Nice!

I'm only down there for 5 days, I'll be staying with family at St Marys. So hopefully get down for one or two sessions in that time.
Yak PB's
75cm Carp, 75-80cm Murray Cod, 48cm Yella, 38cm FL Redfin, 31cm FL Bass, 52cm Flathead, 41cm Bream
Grimbo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra, South Coast
Kayaks: Mad River Adventure 14, 2014 Hobie Outback

Postby spork » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Geprges Bay (StHelens) is only 15 minutes up the road - fishing well at the moment.
Most the little lagoons around there hold some nice bream too, and most can be fished from the shore or wading if you don't have your 'yak with you.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby cabarita » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 am

We will be in Tassie from 7th of February to 7th of March. Spending 2 weeks in Hobart and the remainder of our stay in Launceston. Hoping to cover as much as possible in the 4 weeks. Leaving the PA behind and taking a couple of rods and some lures etc. Any suggestions for land based salt of fresh will be greatly appreciated. Wont have a lot of time for fishing though, main purpose is relaxation ( wife tells me I go too hard at fishing, How is that possible???) and touring around the state.

Tia

Des
Cheers
Des

Yak PBs: Jewfish 85cm, Flathead 80cm, Flounder 36cm, Whiting 43cm, Silver Trevally 54cm, Bream 42cm, Salmon 56cm, Sawtail Surgeon 56cm, Kingfish 63cm, Snapper 32cm
cabarita
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney areas
Kayaks: Pro Angler 14

Postby spork » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Lots of land based options on the Derwent - and some donkey bream in there too.
Any rocky shore or point you can access is worth a cast (or 3).
Browns river at Kingston ( a little south of Hobart) or the Jordan at Bridgewater (Northern suburbs) are both worth a look.

From Launceston trout are your best bet - North esk, South esk, Meander, StPats - and every other river you can find will have fish in it.
You need a license to fish freshwater down here.
Bring your waders.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby cabarita » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks for the info Spork. Noted and will give it all a try.

Des
Cheers
Des

Yak PBs: Jewfish 85cm, Flathead 80cm, Flounder 36cm, Whiting 43cm, Silver Trevally 54cm, Bream 42cm, Salmon 56cm, Sawtail Surgeon 56cm, Kingfish 63cm, Snapper 32cm
cabarita
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney areas
Kayaks: Pro Angler 14

Postby flattyakker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Fantastic report and a place on my to fish list.....very tempting:)
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie Mirage Outback with sunroof

Jewfish 1.11m, Flathead 97cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 40cm, Whiting 37cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 59cm, calamari 33cm (hood).
flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

Postby Nativeman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Gee I was at Dunalley yesterday for a look around, I didn't go down to the neck, but now I wish I had. Thanks for the report and the pics. Homework there for our next visit to tassy... Have you ever fished the Huon river?
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Qld, south east
Kayaks: Hobie Mirage Compass, Hobie Quest 11, Viking Gt Profish. Stacer Tinny

Next

Return to Estuary Reports