One Decent Bream made it worth while!

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

One Decent Bream made it worth while!

Postby arpie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Last weekend, there were a few hours of no rain - so I grabbed the yak & headed to Tuncurry to try & find the bream that had busted me off the 2 weeks before, when I was fishing with Stuart!

I got an almighty surprise tho - cos almost all the floating racks that I'd fished with Stuart (and Jon Chen previously) had been removed! :beye: NOOOO! Briana and I have also had a heap of fun fishing those floating racks!! SO I fished some of the other shallows and had a heap of hits ..... most likely whiting, I reckon, as shortly after, I hooked one! :gu:
P3120006.jpg

The Umpa doing the job! :wink:
P3120007.jpg

I moved around a bit, trying to get the elusive hookups ..... missing a heap of hits! :roll: It looked like I had lost my mojo - being a while since I had landed a decent bream!! :beye: I landed a couple of small ones & didn't even bother taking a pic! (BIG MISTAKE! LOL) Thne finally, I landed one that was just over 'legal' (thank goodness!)
P3120008.jpg

Heading back to the car before it started to rain again and on an area that had previously been full of floating racks, I chucked a pencil out & as I retrieved it .... within a kayak length from the yak as I sped up the retrieve to pick up the lure, out of the corner of my eye, I saw two BIG bream chasing the lure!! But I was already committed to removing the lure & missed my chance! :idiot:

Having spooked that area totally - I moved on a little bit & tried another area & watched as a nice bream came out of depths & chased the lure!! I slowed down the retrieve and the fish got closer! Then it grabbed the lure & I had to try & get him away from the pole so he couldn't dust me! I was quite surprised when it followed meekly, almost as if it didn't realise it had been hooked!!

Within 1/2 minute, it was in the net!! I was AMAZED!!! I had expected it to be a much bigger fight, cos it looked like it would be about 40cm - and this size doesn't usually come to the net that easily! :idiot:
P3120010.jpg

It went nearly 39cm and would have been close to 1kg in weight, I reckon, cos it was very thick in the chest!
P3120015.jpg

I had a go at a 'selfie' ..... I've been trialing a bit of 'paper bandage' on my nose to stop my buff from slipping down my nose, & it worked a treat! You can see it on my nose - the tape is flesh coloured, so not too noticeable!
P3120012.jpg

So, after a slow start, I was really pleased to land that one!! :lek:

The weather all this week has been absolutely horrible - massive wind, almost galeforce at time, and relentless rain, sometimes torrential! :roll: It looks like it will be like this for another week, too, thru to the end of next week! :?:

Fingers crossed it passes before then!! We are getting the tale end of of all the bad weather in Qld

Stay safe - don't drive thru flooded waters!!

cheerio

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: One Decent Bream made it worth while!

Postby justforfun » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 am

Where were they when I was up there Arpie top Job well done .cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby Rodney W » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 am

Well done Roberta.
weather not looking good for tomorrow
Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook Glenbawn Dam and Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Postby arpie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:14 am

...Where were they when I was up there...

Yes, I know!! They've been a bit fickle all year so far, to be honest! This time of year (without the wind & rain) I am usually getting MUCH more big fish than I have been! :roll:

VERY annoying! Better luck next time! Let me know when you are up! I didn't have a phone/labdline most of the time you were up with the NBN changeover - and you didn't have your computer, so couldn't contact you there! :beye:

.....weather not looking good for tomorrow....

That's an understatement!! A definite 'reschedule' unfortunately. I am busy most of this coming week and following Monday with Dr/physio & other stuff ..... It is Blowing a gale as I type & was pouring with rain earlier ...... Keith went out in it on his bike! Silly Bugger! The sun is trying to peep thru, but not for long. The rain forecast is dismal!
http://wxmaps.org/pix/aus.vv.html

Oh well, the water level will be rising for the next week or so, with so much 'fresh' in it ..... there will probably only be an 'out tide' for the next few days, too, with all the water pushing down from all the rivers that run into Wallis Lake. It would be dangerous on the water, even if you didn't mind the wind & rain! :grr:

Cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby simons rat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:32 am

you do catch some crackers!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler/sets/72157625258444623/
simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Postby arpie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 pm

..you do catch some crackers!....

Thanks Steve - let me know when you are ever in the area & we'll go & hunt some up for you! :wink:

cheers

RP

arpie

Postby woywoycol » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi Roberta

Great catch well done wish I could get those results ....... may be in time I just keep trying :cry:

woywoy col :smile:
woywoycol
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Woy Woy. ... Brisbane Waters.... Central Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hodie PA12 2017

Postby Ads22 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Nice fish Roberta. It's been a while since I've had the time and thoroughly read any reports, despite regular quick visits. It's a pity to hear about those racks, there is plenty of water around your way though! Nice thought on the tape for the buff. If it struggles to hold it up still, it may work like a pore tape at least, ha ha.

I've not had much success on the surface lures up here lately, but keep whacking one on from time to time. It's still mesmerising working them!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby unsinkable 2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Stonker- nicely done!
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Postby spork » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 pm

Good stuff Roberta.

ps: Planning a trip to Ansons later this week if work remains quiet. :wink:
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Postby Drew » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:44 pm

what a horse of a whiting, Roberta!

sorry didn't catch up at Christmas - will be in Forster at Easter on our way south from Fraser... Yak's are already there, so will hope to catch up for a fish!
Drew
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Melbourne
Kayaks: Hobie 2011 Outback and 2008 Revolution Fish

Postby Occy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 am

Whoo hoo, bloody great day out.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

Postby arpie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks guys!

...Nice thought on the tape for the buff. If it struggles to hold it up still, it may work like a pore tape at least, ha ha.....

I've got some skin cancers on my nose too, Adam & currently putting special cream on them so also need extra protection from that too! :roll: I used to work in the Burns & Plastic Surgery Ward at Royal North Shore Hospital & saw the result of a skin cancer on the nose further down the track - he lost his nose, and complete upper palate (upper mouth including teeth & cheek - it was one massive big hole) ..... so I am VERY aware of sun spots on my nose these days! A buddy in NZ has similar right now too - but he never took any precautions to cover his nose at all & now in his 80s, has paid the price! :cry:

...I've not had much success on the surface lures up here lately, ...

Definitely keep trying - just use bigger ones to suit barra - the weedless frogs across the lily pads as well! :wink: One day, the BIG BOOF will scare you half out of your yak! :lol:

....a horse of a whiting....

It was near that spot we did the topwater that day some years back! :wink: Look forward to catching up at Easter - the water should have cleared by then!! It is chocolate brown now, with more rain to come for the rest of the day, tho today is pretending to be fine!!

....bloody great day out.....

I was glad to get the biggie at the end, I can tell you!! It has all gone to sh*t now tho, with all the rain!! :cry: It will take weeks for the water to clear, I reckon, with more rain to come!

...Planning a trip to Ansons later this week if work remains quiet......

grrrrr JEALOUS Hard to believe it is 12 months since I was down catching up with you & Michelle!! We have unfinished business down there ....

I WILL BE BACK!!

...may be in time I just keep trying....

They will come, Col - slow the retrieve down, fish near structure, rubble or weed beds - lots of pauses! :wink:

Check out my bream tips thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34596

... Stonker...

Thank you!

arpie

Postby Crok » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 pm

A couple of crackers there, well done Roberta
Cheers
Crok
Yak PB: Whiting 40cm, Bream 39cm, Flathead 75cm, Salmon 49cm,Gold Spot Cod 38cm, Bass 54cm :-), Snapper 35cm, Tailor 47cm, Yellow Belly 53cm, Murray Cod 53cm.
Member of
Crok
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens, Hunter River.
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13

Postby Freewily » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Nice fish Roberta! :lek:
The freshwater seems to be clearing out from where I go. Hopefully the fish will stilll be there. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Next

Return to Estuary Reports