Biggest bream I've ever seen...

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Biggest bream I've ever seen...

Postby Ozzybass » Tue May 16, 2017 1:40 am

Doug & I went out for a bream sesh today on one of my favourite Sydney estuaries. He'd found a pattern lately which he has found successful. He is a very thoughtful angler. Fishing moored boats at certain parts of the tide, I wanted in on the action. Parts of today were quite windy, but thankfully nowhere as windy as it had been forecast. I've always found it hard to fish moored boats fishing from the carousel of a yak the Australis Bass! Wind just makes it even worse. Doug uses a NW Slayer 10 with instant reverse and finds it easy.

My day didn't start out well. I had just bought a sinking stickbait to try out. Never owned or used one before but I thought it could be the ticket for moored boats. Within half an hour it snagged and ping! it went on 4lb leader! I'm starting to hate this 4lb FC leader as it keeps breaking at ridiculous low strains. I busted off twice a few days ago on blackfish with it. I put on an old cheap Gladiator crankbait and was trolling it to the next stop when I felt a "Clunk"! I started retrieving it thinking I had a bream or flatty on, but it just felt very heavy so I thought I must have snagged a stick or clump of weed. I pumped it back to me until it was almost under the yak when it woke up and started slowly peeling line off then ping! This 4lb Fc is REALLY giving me the s$%!# ! I think it must have been a monster flatty.

When the tide was at the right stage, Doug wanted to hit the boats in a particular area. I had the shits and was just moping along hitting my usual pontoons & jetties trying to keep out of the wind. Doug then comes charging back towards me saying, "you've got to fish the boats!". He then shows me what he had in his landing net. It was the biggest bream I've ever seen caught in my presence! 47cm TL! It looked like a snapper! Taken on 4lb FC rock leader and 2" Zman grub.
Doug_47cm.JPG

So I started fishing the boats. The wind had dropped significantly and it wasn't too bad at all. First boat that was pointed out to me to fish, I land a nice 32cm bream, also on a 2" Zman grub. Next boat, I land a 33cm bream. At last my day was looking up!

Doug had to leave about an hour before I did. I landed another tiddler bream and another legal bream before pulling the plug Learnt something today!

My 32cm -
32cm_150517.JPG

My 33cm -
33cm_150517.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ozzybass on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass

Re: Biggest bream I've ever seen...

Postby clutch » Tue May 16, 2017 11:20 am

Awesome bream!! Light leader!! What size/ colour was the plastic?
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 45 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike
clutch
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Postby arpie » Tue May 16, 2017 8:30 pm

AWESOME BREAM! Beats my PB Bream by 2cm!! And I know how hard they fight, too!! Well done, Doug!

Shame about your bustoffs - it always hurts. eh? I don't do the really light stuff, cos there are so many flatties & trevally in our system here, you wouldn't have a chance! :oops:

All the best for your next outing!

Cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Ozzybass » Tue May 16, 2017 9:49 pm

clutch wrote:Awesome bream!! Light leader!! What size/ colour was the plastic?

2" grub in Motor Oil on a v light jighead dunno exact weight. Probably 20th or 24th oz.
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Ozzybass » Tue May 16, 2017 9:50 pm

clutch wrote:Awesome bream!! Light leader!! What size/ colour was the plastic?
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Postby jb2020 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:30 pm

coincidence I caught my biggest bream a couple of weeks ago also went 47 and on a zman grub. I dabbled with 4lb for a little while and found larger 40+ bream will totally engulf small lures like little shrimps and bite off 4lb consistently. back to 8lb after that and haven't noticed any reduction in bites.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=108188
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jb2020
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: VIC
Kayaks: OK Trident

Postby mAx » Fri May 19, 2017 7:25 am

Verrrrry nice fishing Ozzybass! a few fat fish there. jb2020 has the fattest though, look at that thing!
Inhale - Exhale
mAx
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Ibosa Sea Eagle

Postby mouse » Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Nice PB bream, estimate a bream of that size to be 40-50 years old. Imagine the stories that fish could tell!! :wink:

4lb fluro is my preferred bread and butter species line, drag set according to the fish i'm landing and play the fish, 90% are landed.
I don't fish around oyster leases or heavily barnacled areas though.

Tnx for sharing :wink:
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby Occy » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Nice one. There have been some particularly big breambos in that part of "the river" of late. And they tend to hang around the rock walls in quite shallow water.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

Postby Rory222 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:53 pm

Wowsers that is huge! Would have put up a huge fight!

Nice work on your fish too - always good to get a reward for persisting when the going is tough and when trying something new.

Well done!
Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 60cm
Yellowbelly - 47cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 42cm
Whiting - 38cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 34cm
Tarwhine - 36cm
Carp - 74cm
River Blackfish - 15cm
Rory222
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Riverina & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

Postby Pukka » Mon May 29, 2017 9:09 am

Haven't been on the boards for a while so excuse me for missing this post earlier. Great report Ozzy and well done on the breambo' Doug, t'is a trophy brim' that one!

Joe
Pukka
KFDU Angler

Return to Estuary Reports