Found some bream! :) Fish 'n' Tips (Thanks PA Pete!)

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Found some bream! :) Fish 'n' Tips (Thanks PA Pete!)

Postby arpie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 am

Hi guys

With the new MUFN Bream comp starting this month - it seemed a good idea to go back to the areas that I'd seen some BIG bream & try to hook them, as I'd only found smaller specimens up til now!

First fish for the day were VERY small .... I was worried I wouldn't find any 'nice ones'! :idiot:

I was tossing a deep diving CJ in Carmen Red colour around some poles - and came up tight to a VERY nice fish! Luckily I'd already put my Stake Out poles in, so was able to 'hold my ground' as I tried to keep it clear of the poles & sharp oysters! It took a little while to land & I was very happy when it was in the net! :gu:
P7090006.jpg

A selfie :wink:
P7090019.jpg

then a little tacker jumped on board on a shallow CJ
P7090024.jpg

There's a lure in there somewhere! Thankfully the big bib stopped it from shutting it's mouth - or it would have busted off my lure! :idiot: They have SERIOUS fangs! To (hopefully) get bream - I cast my lures as CLOSE to the edges of the racks in the background as I can & give a single jerk to get there lure down ..... then, if it is not hit immediately - I just slow roll it along the edge of the racks, anticipating a hit. If you DON'T hook up/get snagged on the oysters/netting on the top of the racks now & then, you are not getting the lure close enough! You WILL get fish now & then by casting in the middle of the alleys - but you get more by casting to the edges (particularly the ones with tide/current pushing ONTO and/or the 'SHADOW' side! You can see the shadow on the right hand rack.) Just be aware of what the current & sun is doing - as the sun changes to the other side, you should then target the side it is NOT shining onto! :wink:
P7090025.jpg

Then another little tacker on an Umpa
P7090026.jpg

Going back to a deeper diver that I'd coloured with a red Permanent Marker ..... I lucked onto another nice bream next to some floating racks
P7090029.jpg

Happy with my 2 'bigger fish' to submit to MUFN, I headed for home! :lek:

cheers

Roberta

Back in 2013 when we had a week away at Moonee Beach/Creek, Coffs Harbour with Robbo57 on one of his last yak outings viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34926 (Sadly he passed away from cancer shortly after this week away.) You never stop learning ..... one of the boys gave us this TOP TIP ...... if you want to try for more distance with your casting (particularly good for skittish flats .....) get some Silicon Spray & spray the braid on your spools with it. On lighter line, it can increase your casting distance by 20% or so!! On heavier line, there is less resistance as it comes off the spool - so whilst the extra distance isn't as great as the light line - any added distance is a bonus! :lek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arpie on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Found some bream! :)

Postby PA Pete » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks Roberta, Fish & Tips. :wink:
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Re: Found some bream! :)

Postby scorpio » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for the report and tips. Always enjoy them.
scorpio
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120. Hobie Outback no. 3.

Re: Found some bream! :) Fish 'n' Tips (Thanks PA Pete!)

Postby arpie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:22 pm

.....Thanks Roberta, Fish & Tips......

:lol: :lol: LOVE IT!! I've added that to the title, Pete!

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby hawkeye » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 pm

You are one very special fisher woman Roberta . Another well detailed report on fishing for bream . Did you notice if t5he blackfish have arrived . Tightlines Stephen
hawkeye
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: forster

Postby arpie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 pm

....Did you notice if t5he blackfish have arrived.....

Hi Steve

They are always here - I saw HEAPS!! All along the Breck Channel! :wink: It has been very tricky catching them tho, from all accounts. I haven't fished for them for ages.

cheerio

Roberta

arpie

Postby Brendon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Great report Roberta .The carmen red crackjack is still my go to confidence lure for black bream over here in WA.
Cheers Brendon
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Postby suncoaster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:27 pm

nice
suncoaster
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sunshine coast

Postby Leper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Still think your the Queen of Bream! As always a great report with some awesome Bream as well!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby Ads22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Like the fish n tips.

Can you tell me what size trebles are on the CJ and GGs? I have a few to replace and can't find anything smaller than a 16 locally.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby arpie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Thanks guys ..... it was a fun outing!

..... I have a few to replace and can't find anything smaller than a 16 locally.....

Hmmm ..... 16s are usually 'tiny'!! The 'bigger the number', the 'smaller the hook'! So I'd only be using a 16 on the smallest sized lures (i.e. the smallest GGs) ..... whilst on the 'regular' sized GGs & CJs - I'd be using either 10s o 12s - just check the barb size on the 'original' hooks for comparison. If you use 'smaller hooks', the lure may 'float upwards' instead of 'suspending' .... or using a 'BIGGER hook' - may make it a sinking lure instead of 'suspending'!

Sometimes, you can do this DELIBERATELY (i.e., make a 'floating lure' into a suspender) by adding a bigger/heavier hook onto it :wink:

Different brands of hooks & different 'strengths' (i.e. 2 x strong, 3 x strong, 4 x strong) ...... the 'stronger they are' - usually = HEAVIER as well!! They have thicker shanks/barbs/solder on them, hence, more weight!!

Trial & error to a degree - tho I believe CJs and GGs generally use OWNER hooks, that you should be able to source online ...... :wink:

cheers

Roberta

arpie

Postby Ads22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:55 pm

I have some sz14 and sz16 Owner ST 36 trebles and the little GG have smaller hooks. I'm guessing 18 but not certain. May have to order some and try.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Return to Estuary Reports