Introducing rocky to CQ lizards

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Introducing rocky to CQ lizards

Postby Ads22 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:41 pm

As many of you know, rocky is on the road and currently in Yeppoon. I met up with him this morning at Coorooman Creek, Zilzie for an early start. Plenty of boats getting out first thing, but pretty easy getting on the water. Conditions were sensational with the water like glass and clear skies. We headed with the outgoing tide and worked the edges.

Coorooman Sunrise 1_M.jpg

It was slow going early, but I managed to get onto a nice dusky before 7am when my trolled lure snagged and I was freeing it, my GG was hit as it drifted.

Dusky at Dawn_M.jpg

A little further down I started getting hit after hit, but they wouldn't hook up. They were mostly pretty little hits but the occasional pick and run. I ran through a few lures and eventually cut down a Gulp Minnow on a 1/12 jig head and started hooking up. After landing a couple of Spotfin Beach Salmon (or Steelback) I hooked up to another nice flatty, this time a Bar-tailed version. By this time a fog/cloud had drifted in off the sea.

Spotfin Beach Salmon_M.jpg

Salmon flip_M.jpg

Bar-tailed Flathead_M.jpg

Timbers_M.jpg

As the tide turned, we turned and drifted back with the current. Shortly after I hooked up to another nice flatty, only to have it break my 6lb leader, that I had failed to re-tie after becoming worn from a few beach salmon. I then hit a patch of beach salmon and landed fish after fish, reaching up to 32cm. I lost count in the end, but had a lot of fun on them. Meanwhile, rocky had found a nice patch of fish, ending up with a good feed.

rocky_M.jpg

I shifted to deeper water along a pipeline crossing the creek looking for some threadies or grunter to no avail.

No records set in distance covered, and plenty more of the creek system left untouched, but we both got onto a fish. It was a sensational morning to be on the water and great to meet rocky. Will hopefully check out some more water before he moves on.

20170730_113954_S.jpg

Happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Introducing rocky to CQ lizards

Postby Leper » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Nice read Ads and it looked like a perfect day on the water! Loving the emerald green water as well. Must admit I have never heard of a spotfin beach salmon let alone seen one! Thanks for the report!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby Ads22 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Leper wrote:Nice read Ads and it looked like a perfect day on the water! Loving the emerald green water as well. Must admit I have never heard of a spotfin beach salmon let alone seen one! Thanks for the report!

I didn't know they were called that, but the IDFish app is very handy! I don't think I had caught this type of beach salmon before, but the Longfin I had - much the same but lacks the colouring. They're aggressive little buggers, I'd have 5 or 6 hits per cast if I didn't hook up, and they'd chase right back to the yak, occasionally hooking up as I let it rest before re-casting.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU Angler

Postby rocketV » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:58 pm

conditions looked terrible! :lol:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby rocky » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks ads for the intro to CQ fishing in the creek. I had all faith in you when you reassured me the lizards wouldn't worry me even though the sign at the ramp said to be wary of them.
I arrived at the ramp about 0600 to find ads already rigging up. After intros I set up and we hit the water moving with the outgoing tide, first off I threw some big sps hoping for a Barra or Salmon the locals say inhabit the area but no hits so downsized to 1.5kg Bream gear with a pink paddle tail grub which I threw at the banks without any hits except for the little beach salmon. The tide started to turn and this seemed to bring the flattys on the chew as I landed 5 46cm to 52cm dropped one at the net and got busted by 3 on the light gear. Kept three for a feed and released the others along with a 31cm pikey Bream which was the blackest Bream I have ever seen. It was a beautiful morning on the water and ads I am glad the lizards of the smaller dusky variety annoyed me. Also caught a small cod.

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Thanks again ads.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback & Yellow Pacer
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Area, Anywhere.
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's Pacer

Postby Leper » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:59 pm

There is a few fish there rocky that could have gone into a few of the social comps! Just need to write 741 on your brag board and every photo is a potential entry? You would have had a couple of flatties, a bream and a cod on the boards in one trip!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby rocky » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:48 am

Leper wrote:There is a few fish there rocky that could have gone into a few of the social comps! Just need to write 741 on your brag board and every photo is a potential entry? You would have had a couple of flatties, a bream and a cod on the boards in one trip!

I know I know silly me anyway next time. Ads gave me a neat tag with the number on it so will use it in future.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Postby pdfarrell » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 pm

Well done guys.
And well done Ads on getting Rocky out of bed that early. :wink:

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby arpie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:16 pm

Glad you two were able to get together & get into some fish!! Well done!!

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby PA Pete » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:49 am

Good on you Ads, your a great ambassador for KFDU and the fishing sprit. :wink:
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Postby Ads22 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:06 pm

PA Pete wrote:Good on you Ads, your a great ambassador for KFDU and the fishing sprit. :wink:

rocky may not think so having yakked near a croc farm. :lol:
Yak PBs
Ads22
KFDU Angler

Postby arpie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:13 pm

....I know I know silly me anyway next time. Ads gave me a neat tag with the number on it so will use it in future.....

Make sure you sticky tape it to your measure - so you don't have to think about it! Top left corner is a good spot - the noses usually won't obscure the pic ... but double check the photo before putting the fish back!! :idiot:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Thadius » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Is that a snap swivel i see old man?
Thadius
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle

Postby rocky » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Thadius wrote:Is that a snap swivel i see old man?

A clip only
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Return to Estuary Reports