Sneaky morning fish

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Sneaky morning fish

Postby Ads22 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 pm

Snuck out very early this morning for a fish seeing the wind was still down and I don't work Wednesdays. When I say early, I mean, I wasn't sleeping knowing I was going fishing, so left an hour early. Got on the water at the Causeway aching for another surface jack at 3:30am.
First fish while it was still dark on surface, a few casts in. A little Moses Perch. Followed gradually with another 2 Moses Perch and a 2 Estuary Cod on surface over the next two hours. Changed tactic and headed to a large flat, sandy beach and first cast got two massive hits, no hookup. Then a couple of little bait fish liked the look of the popper.

DSCN0045_M.jpg

DSCN0047_M.jpg

DSCN0050_M.jpg

DSCN0053_M.jpg

DSCN0057_M.jpg

Headed back toward the bridge and nabbed a bream on the corner, then did a few trolling passes in the channel toward the bridge, passing an old bloke in a boat. First pass I hooked up and landed a 33cm Trev. Next pass I hooked up to a marginally smaller model, both on hard bodies. The old bloke reckons I'm the only person he's seen catch fish on lures there - don't think he looks too hard.

DSCN0059_M.jpg

DSCN0062_M.jpg

DSCN0066_M.jpg

Headed down the northern arm briefly and picked up another estuary cod (black spot) on a mangrove corner. This guy had a mouthful of crab already!

DSCN0070_M.jpg

DSCN0067_M.jpg

DSCN0069_M.jpg

Things were pretty slow, so headed back to the bridge for some of the run through. Pulled up adjacent the main current flow and anchored up. First cast with the soft vibe landed a legal flatty. Retrieved a few lengths of fishing line and missed a couple of hookups.

No jacks today unfortunately, but another mixed bag. Think the big double surface hit was probably a flatty in about 30cm of water. Was a beautiful morning out with glassy water for a while. The wind came up around 10:30 and became a bit difficult. Ended up off the water by midday. No fishing this weekend, so happy to have had the chance today.

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Sneaky morning fish

Postby hillbilly » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Three great reports in a row here in the Estuary section. First with Arpie and then twice with you. I've got to get out more. Regards Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby rocketV » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm

I always look in a cods mouth when I catch one and quite often you will see it's most recent meal.
Not sure if it because they just just gorge themselves, or if they regurgitate their stomach contents when hooked to try and get away.
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby Freewily » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:07 am

Nice session on a nice day. Love the pics. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby Ads22 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks Freewily, I forgot I had the waterproof camera on the rainy day on the weekend, and didn't want to bring the phone out too often. Remembered this time, so need to get some settings sorted I guess. Of course, it wasn't raining this day, so wasn't so necessary.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Return to Estuary Reports