Got the Trifecta but dropped some good fish

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Got the Trifecta but dropped some good fish

#1 Post by arpie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi guys

Further on to my recent reports - i've had another outing this week (before the rain came down!) and had some good fishing, altho not really landing any 'whoppers' that I often associate with this time of year!

February is my FAV topwater time! :gu: I was fishing an area that I usually find lots of bream on topwater - so was surprised when my first fish landed was a decent flattie on topwater!! :lek:
P2250001.jpg
He went straight back ... under the kayak when I released it - how good is THIS camouflage?
P2250002.jpg
A couple of small bream were hooked ....
P2250008.jpg
Then I found an 'Upside Down Jellyfish' in a totally new area! NOT GOOD! :cry: I will be advising the University of this 'new site'.
P2250006.jpg
I had a very nice bream on, taking line - then just as I was winning the battle - it spat the hook! :beye: The smaller ones managed to stay on tho!
P2250010.jpg
I actually managed to toss this lure away 3 times thru busted knots ..... and was VERY lucky to actually FIND it again all 3 times!! LOL

Changing to a diving lure & toss it around the 'clock face' I hooked up most casts ..... many of them getting off tho! I was really surprised when a nice whiting jumped onboard tho! This one on a Crackjack in R60 colour. Very next cast hooked another one, but it fell of as I landed it & it flipped out of the yak with no photo taken! :beye:
P2250013.jpg
Lots of smaller bream too .... GG working it's magic
P2250012.jpg
I was having a heap of fun - tho the wind was a bit annoying when it picked up, then a bit of rain as well ...... tho I can't really complain as we seriously need some! The fish continued biting & I had another nice flattie on, temped with the Crackjack in R60. Next cast, another flattie jumped onto the lure & as quickly jumped out of the net as the lure got stuck in the netting!
P2250014.jpg
The R60 is a terrific lure - I was busted off on it last week too & always carry a spare in the yak 'just in case'! :wink:
P2250015.jpg
Heading back to base, I had another terrific hit on topwater that took off at a rate of knots - and I assumed it was a big bream with lots of blistering runs .... just when I thought I was winning - it spat the hook!! :idiot: Damn!!

SO - a lot of fun was had & all fish were released to grow bigger!! :lek:

Until next time - TIGHT LINES!

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Re: Got the Trifecta but dropped some good fish

#2 Post by rocketV » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:38 pm

Sounds like good fun with just enough fish landed to make up for the frustrations of dropped fish and broken knots. I like the look of that R60 :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

RWD
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: GlenbawnDam, Hunter River, Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Howie Outfitter

#3 Post by RWD » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 am

Nicely done Roberta.

arpie

#4 Post by arpie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks guys

.... I like the look of that R60....

I was busted off on a very nice flattie last week on it too - hence the nice new shiny one! :lol: I am pretty sure that Rob has them on special just now for $10 (all the shallow dive Crackajacks) and I rate them as highly as GGs!!! Check out this well chewed beauty!
PC230003.JPG
Free delivery for orders over $100 (WELL WORTH getting it up to $100!) and you get a free lure chucked in as well (usually the same one you've just bought - so effectively an extra 10% off!) Check out the rest of the clearouts as well .... some real bargains there! Even Megabass & Sugapen lures! And still got some GGs for $10 as well (use a black, pure or red marker to turn them into a 'real' bream & bass killer! :wink: ) ...... tho they do VERY WELL in their original colours as well! :lek:
http://masterangler.com.au/c/4461371/1/-clearouts-.html

....Nicely done Roberta.....

Looking forward to Seeing you at the Forster Gathering! Bring some strong leader - we'll be hitting the racks, I reckon!! :wink: Possibly on fly too! :lek:

cheerio

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrFaulty
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle

#5 Post by MrFaulty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 pm

I was up that way a few weeks back (fishing in a mates boat). It was pretty ordinary weather but caught my first top water bream - am hooked now!

arpie

#6 Post by arpie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:29 pm

.....It was pretty ordinary weather but caught my first top water bream - am hooked now!.......

Cool! Forster is one of the BEST places for topwater bream, flatties and whiting ..... as it has SO MANY shallows!! That is the secret! :wink:

Let me know next time you are up!! :lek:

Roberta

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#7 Post by Mackayak » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:06 am

Looks like a great day well done wish the water would clear up her :?:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

Mr T
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: PORT STEPHENS/Newcastle/

#8 Post by Mr T » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:58 am

Queen of the Screaming Reels

No doubt in my Mind

Best Wishes Mark T
Member of

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#9 Post by hillbilly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi Roberta. Some great photos there. Re the Upside Down Jellyfish. For half my time I live on a canal at Pottsville where there were plenty of those Jellyfish but after the floods in April last year I haven't seen any of them since. I remember their real name was either ??????? Cassiopea or Cassiopea ????????? and were named after the star constellation of Cassiopea which has a great story to it. I'll let you and others do the research on that and you'll see the relevance of the name. Some in the canal were 20 cm plus in diameter. Maybe they washed down your way after the last year's April floods or blew down in a strong Northerly. :lek: Regards Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

#10 Post by flattyakker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Great to see you out smashing the topwater Arpie!
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie 2015 Mirage Outback with sunroof[dune]

Jewfish 1.11m & 1.08m, Flathead 97cm &96cm x 2, Bream 43cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 45cm, Whiting 43cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 65cm, calamari 35cm (hood).

flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

#11 Post by flattyakker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Great to see you out smashing the topwater Arpie!
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie 2015 Mirage Outback with sunroof[dune]

Jewfish 1.11m & 1.08m, Flathead 97cm &96cm x 2, Bream 43cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 45cm, Whiting 43cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 65cm, calamari 35cm (hood).

arpie

#12 Post by arpie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks guys.

....Maybe they washed down your way after the last year's April floods or blew down in a strong Northerly.....

I've been tracking them here for some years now - probably 6 years or more - but i first round them in big numbers & size back in 2009 in Pipers Creek. The Australian Museum has sent their Collections officer up a few times over the years to gather specimens & I still advise them when I find new outbreaks ..... and this is the first time I've found them in this particular spot. :cry:

You can read the paper the Museum put out a couple of years ago - they were quite excited when I contacted them about them .... I get mentioned in the paper a few times for bringing it to their attention - but if the Fisheries officer I gave samples to way back in 2009 had contacted them THEN ...... it would have been a much better history of them in the lake. They've been in plague proportions in some areas, but in the last year or so, been very sporadic.
https://australianmuseum.net.au/uploads ... mplete.pdf

Yep, they've identified a few varieties of the Cassiopeia family here - showing this one in the water, wrong side up.
Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.35.26 PM.png
And in the net, wrong side up
upside down jellyfish 2.jpg
In the water, they look quite white (like mini sand holes) so are easy to spot, the closer you get to them
upside down jellyfish 4.jpg
But OUT of the water, they are a dirty brown colour!
Upside down jelly fish 1.jpg
This is what they look like at a distance
upside down jellyfish 3.jpg
I will let the Museum Aquatic section know of your find up Pottsville way! They may be keen to visit!!

cheerio

Roberta

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#13 Post by hillbilly » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Do a Google search on Greek Mythology of Cassiopea Constellation and you will see the relevance of the upside jellyfish naming. Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#14 Post by Freewily » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 pm

Nice session Roberta! :grin: Good on you for getting out. :wink:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

Return to “Estuary Reports”