Easter Fishing - What did you get up to? Me? BREAM!

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Easter Fishing - What did you get up to? Me? BREAM!

Postby arpie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi guys

I got back from my radiation treatment at Port Macquarie on Thurs, just in time for Easter ..... I wasn't sure if I'd be a bit tired from it ... so went out in the yak to test myself, on the Fri, Sun & Mon! :gu: I was definitely tired at the end of it tho! :lol:

This is my FAVOURITE time of year for Topwater fishing in Forster/Tuncurry ..... from about Feb thru to April - the fishing can be just SO HOT! I really like the 'crystal' coloured ones - so much so - I take a bottle of crystal coloured fingernail polish out with me, in case it gets too badly scuffed (or I lose it & have to use a different coloured one - I can change it! :wink: )

Just metres from putting in - I put the topwater lure towards The Colonel's (who usually abuses anyone who casts anywhere NEAR his establishment!) and the water erupted! I thought it had missed, until i saw my line snaking across the water towards the Cafe!! Striking hard, I had to try & steer the fish away from the oyster covered poles..... whilst it pulled me towards it!! I had a bit of an audience .... and was rewarded with a nice 35cm bream! When I put it back - some patrons were amazed!!
P3300004.jpg

I got another couple of small ones ,..... then the whiting came in on the game!! A couple of smaller ones, then a nice elbow slapper!
P3300010.jpg

It was really windy on the Sun, so I headed off to the Keys to see if I could find somewhere out of the wind & fished a few hours there!! I had a HEAP of hits - I just couldn't get them to hook up! grrrr But I did manage one nice 35cm one!
P4010002.jpg

Heading back to the car, I had a massive hit and the rod was bent double! This was either a serious fish, or I'd hooked a cormorant - it was going so hard!! Nup - it was a nice flattie that went 50cm!! He came home for dinner!
P4010006.jpg

On Monday, Dave/Huggy and I hit Taree St & I headed to some submerged racks & rubble/mangrove areas. The tide was coming in but was still filthy dirty from all the rain - so I was amazed when the bream were hitting topwater immediately! I'd always had success there with my Damiki Umpa Popper - it is smaller than most - so is a lot more 'subtle' in it's 'popping'! Matter of fact - I rarely 'pop' it - I 'skitter it' across the surface quickly, then stop it suddenly! It has gone past the face of numerous fish & the bigger ones usually chase it aggressively! I missed SO many hits, but still managed to land about 20+ bream - the biggest going about 35cm (AGAIN!) At least I didn't get busted off this time (as has happened there the last few times!)

The start of the Umpa Fest! :gu:

I even landed another flattie on the Umpa too!
P4020003.jpg

This one had a nice set of dentures - a blue nose in the making
P4020004.jpg

They were slowly getting bigger ....
P4020005.jpg

By Mid Morning .... the 'in tide' was finally making it's mark in Tuncurry - and I could see this 'ridge of water' (which I thought was a reef!) It was where the 'clean water' was hitting the 'dirty water'. I tried to get a pic of it - but not sure if it really 'shows' the 2 waters ..... so, clean water on the left and dirty water on the right of the 'ridge' in the middle!
P4020006.jpg

I was virtually getting a hit on every cast & a hookup on every other cast!! :wink:
P4020013.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together!
P4020014.jpg

P4020015.jpg

Earlier in the day, I'd done a particularly 'hard' cast - and unknowingly, hit an oyster covered pole behind me on the back cast ..... and the Umpa 'popped off' the leader! :beye: I was devastated!! I pedalled around looking for it - working out that the tide should have taken it 'over there' ..... and blow me down, I found it! :glad: YAY! WIN!!

Heading back to the car across the flats, I just continued casting to every 'deep bit' - and something exploded from the water & grabbed it ... leaping out of the water twice (not a long tom - wrong shape ....) and the braid busted about 10ft from the leader & I lost the lure AGAIN! BUGGER!! Then, I thought - I may as well have a good look around, cos sometimes the fish will throw the hook as the 'whip effect' of the line busting can eject it from the fish's mouth! Once again - blow me down, I found it!! This lure is like a cat with 9 lives!! :lek:
P4020019.jpg

I hope everyone had a great Easter & got into some good fish!! Show me what ya got!! :lek:

cheers

Roberta

(Hope to get out with Dave/Huggy again tomorrow.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Easter Fishing - What did you get up to? Me? BREAM!

Postby Aussie54 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Gee Roberta that bigger bream has some serious teeth.

I tend to throw the larger bream back too, actually rarely keep one. I feel sorry for the bigger ones cause they are so old, feel guilty about ending their life so they go back, I' keep a flatty in the 40 to 55 maybe 60 cms though, all the rest go back and I sometimes keep the bigger whiting above 30cms or so.

Nice fish, thanks for the report, hope your treatment works out well.

Regards, Wayne A.
Aussie54
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney metro, upper Nepean River & South Coast
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel

Postby wongus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Nice effort.. some quality fish there as usual. Well done!
Cheers
Danny

Yak PB's: Bream 41cm, Tailor 35cm (approx), Saratoga 45 (approx.), Flathead 72cm, Bass 56cm, Yellowbelly 54cm, Estuary Cod 55cm, Snapper 70cm, Mack Tuna 73cm, Shark (Black Tip Reef) 92cm.
wongus
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Qld

Postby rocketV » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Good to hear you are doing well and back into the surface action! :cool:
Gotta love finding a lure that you have given up for lost :grin:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby nigel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:02 am

phpzSKTSyPM.jpg
:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage
nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: Stealth BFS 470 dag midway Cobra expedition apollo x1 ski

Postby pdfarrell » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Some great photos of some great fish Roberta.
Going to have to invest in a few of those Umpa's!

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby justforfun » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:53 pm

glad to see you out and about.cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby flattyakker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:10 pm

Great stuff Roberta

Good to hear you are back doing what you love!

Great fish and keep them coming!!
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie Mirage Outback with sunroof

Jewfish 1.11m, Flathead 97cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 40cm, Whiting 37cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 59cm, calamari 33cm (hood).
flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

Postby ytumer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Wow Roberta! You're a rear inspiration.
ytumer
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney, Central Coast
Kayaks: Malibu Stealth 12

Postby Snapperpaddy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Love ya posts
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days
Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

Postby arpie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words, guys ... I've had a couple of 'dud' outings as well - where stuff all has been caught ...... but hey! Shit Happens! LOL

You've gotta get out there & give it a go!!

As you know - I just LOVE my fishing - it is 2nd only to my Ukulele playing - and on Sunday I head off to Norfolk Island for a week of Ukulele playing - they have a uke festival next week!! I have ONE free day on the following Sunday - so perhaps I'll be able to line up a charter boat for some fishing! Silly NOT TO, I reckon, going that far & NOT going fishing! :roll:

I hope you are getting out just now - looking forward to reading your posts & showing pics of your fish! :wink:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Return to Estuary Reports