Cabbage Tree Point 10 May

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Cabbage Tree Point 10 May

Postby blanchy » Sun May 13, 2018 7:42 am

I got a pass from the Minster of Everything for a few hours, so pack the car and away I go, all I had to do was cook tea, might have to do more cooking :grin: :grin: :grin:

Not a bad morning on the water.... was at Gem bait n tackle at 0500... got a little bit of bait and a maxi coffee.. at Cabbage tree point ramp at 0530... still a bit dark and didnt pack lights... so hung around and finished my coffee... launched at 0600....

started trolling and flicking a mini micro mullet HB in pink and Zman curly tail in red but no joy... pulled into a junction of a creek n main channel... not sure what I caught thought a baby thready but happy to be corrected (been told everything from baby thready to puddy nose to scaly Jew)... on a cured beach worm... not a bad start... then the other rod goes ZZZZZ... thinking something decent.... NOPE... Approx 1m pike eel which was very unhappy... thinking what the hell am I going to do now.... didnt want it flapping around in the yak between my legs.. then it made the decision for me and bit through the leader....

started trolling again no joy... ended up what looked like horseshoe shaped sandbar/shallows at end of an island toward the powerlines... so anchored up in the deep and started flicking lures into shallows... still no luck.. . Switched to good old chicken and got a cpl nice bream...about to leave, pulled in my little rod and a nice 42cm flatty... while getting the hook out the other rod goes mental... took me 3 goes to net the bloody thing... eventually got in on board 55cm flatty... switched to a lil Kato Vibe in a gold color... trolling in a shallow bay and got walloped... no idea what it was... couldn't stop it... nearly got spooled...

headed back...this where I made a little error in judgement.... thought the water was a bit deeper...nope... 10cm if that.... no probs...ill jump out and push it through...easy.... how wrong can I be...hopped out...straight to my thigh in mud...oh crap...got back in and pushed thru the mud with the paddle...hardest 10 minute paddle ive ever done lol... off water at 1300...

called into the shop near ramp and the guy was saying they get 1m threadies in the shallows...MAYBE...who knows... I can say the hot chips there are awesome lol...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blanchy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: south east qld, brisbane
Kayaks: DRAGON HUNTER

Re: Cabbage Tree Point 10 May

Postby Cubits » Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 pm

Nice trip, solid flatty!

That weirdo isn't a putty-nose; they don't have forked tails. Most likely it's a thready, but i can't quite see the telltale feelers in the pic. My mate has caught quite a few threadies between cabbage tree point and jacobs well recently, juvenile to 130cm!

Any oyster racks down that way? I know of the prawn farms, which seem to attract the threadies, but i've been meaning to head down there and the racks will be heating up in this weather.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby kkw » Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 am

blanchy wrote:ill jump out and push it through...easy.... how wrong can I be...hopped out...straight to my thigh in mud...oh crap...got back in and pushed thru the mud with the paddle...hardest 10 minute paddle ive ever done lol...

I was up at Forster a couple of years ago and did a similar thing. Had a Prowler at the time and jumped off to answer the call of nature. Luckily grabbed the side of the kayak, as I thought I would go down further. I managed to wiggle across it and then the mud let go and I flipped over the yak, overturned it, into the mud on the other side, lost some gear but managed to get back on. Can't remember if the urge to pee went away but news travels fast and when I got back to the van park I was greeted with hoots of "here comes the mud crab". Could have been worse if I hadn't managed to grab the yak. The mud really was hard to get released from. Got a Hobie now and it has a handy slot in the middle in cases of emergency :)
kkw
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking/Botany Bay, New South Wales

Postby blanchy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 am

cubits...no oyster racks that I know of and it definitely had the feelers which I why I thought it was a baby thready
blanchy
KFDU Angler

Postby blanchy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 am

kkw.... I can just imagine..... this is why I always have a bottle with me lol
blanchy
KFDU Angler

Postby Kareless1 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:51 pm

To save room I just carry a plastic sandwich bag that use then just rinse it out and scrunch it up to toss away in the rubbish bin on the shore. Some of my mates carry a small hose with a funnel attached. Les :lol: :?:
Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you!
Kareless1
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: South Queensland Northern NSW
Kayaks: Pedalcraft 10 ft

Return to Estuary Reports