Flatties are soooo on! [with Video]

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Flatties are soooo on! [with Video]

Postby Ads22 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:30 am

This is a long vid, but some nice fish in there. Grab a coffee, or beer.

With the wind getting up again, I was undecided Friday night as to where I would venture for the weekend. I decided that Saturday might be a better choice and posted on our local FB page to see if others were getting out. I had imagined the benefits of a skinny creek to shelter from the wind so was thinking Pumpkin Creek. A couple of the guys were heading to Fishing Creek, launching from the beach end. The plan was made, meet about 6:30-7am on the beach at Sandy Point. Trent and Nathan took the beach, while I opted for the bumpy Sandy Point Road. It's pretty pot holed leading to the National Park from the Resort turn-off, but once in the park the road is really good. The end of the road continues to change, and what previously was a steep drop/mini-cliff on my last trip to the point, had flattened and you could again access the beach from there.

I elected to park up at the corner, and having the benefit of SandTrakz, I wheeled my way to the launch. The channels have changed again, and we launched into what is now a side channel. As the tide was only part of the way into the run in, we had to portage across some sand bars to get over to the main channel which has shifted to the north. Before getting out of the first pool, I scored my first fish, a hungry little Estuary Cod.

Cod1_M.jpg

Passing a boat who had been landing small Bream but not his target Whiting, we rounded a bend in the main channel, trolling lures. Nathan's rod buckled and he was onto a handy fish. A really handy fish! After a nice battle in his little Dragon, a fat Flathead slipped into his worse-for-wear net. We headed to the beach for a look and found a healthy 70cm Flatty. "Now I'm happy", he says. After a few photos, the fish was released to fight again. I was keen on grabbing a feed myself, and didn't bother bringing tags, but this would have been a nice one to tag. As we pushed up the channel with the tide to the first deep hole, I flicked to the corner dividing the current and retrieved a little Trevally. While I was doing this, Nathan was on again and after releasing the Trev, I paddled over to admire an even bigger Flatty. Two PB's in a day! A 71cm Flathead was photographed and released. "That just made my day, two horses!"

LittleTrev_M.jpg

FlattyNath70_M.jpg

We fished up the mangroves lining the deeper hole, known to hold Barra, but had trouble enticing anything. The wind was starting to blow against the current and making things difficult. And, with the fast current, getting lures down was a challenge. I switched to the deep diving Slam 59 that had scored some nice fish last trip, and managed to entice a thick 29cm Bream into the net.

Bream29Slam59_M.jpg

Moving further up onto a shallow bar where I have seen Threadfin Salmon smashing bait before, I flicked over some roots and was immediately hit by a fast fish. The camera went flat as I netted a shiny Queenfish in the net.

Queen_M.jpg

Nathan and I ventured down a channel with a slightly deeper hole as the rain started, while Trent headed for the distant other edge of the main creek. Down here I scored a tiny Moses and a tiny Whiting in quick succession, but it was otherwise quiet. The species count for the day was starting to mount up, but I hadn't achieved the awesome numbers that Nathan had - 70 and 71cm, awesome!

When I caught up with Nathan again, he was flicking into a drain that opened behind the mangroves into a flat, and after seeing Bream following his lure a few times, Nathan coaxed a nice little 38cm Flatty into his yak. Pushing further up the creek, Nathan went ahead and caught up with Trent, as I fished another corner with a drain. After watching a Flounder follow my lure almost to the yak, I stopped and sent a few more casts to the mangrove edge and back across the deeper drain. From a standing position, sheltered from the wind, and seeing a Flatty follow my lure and settle on the edge of the drain, I flicked again. As I drew the lure back toward him and paused, the line took off. I was onto my seventh species for the day. A little 38cm Flatty came aboard and was promptly released. A few minutes later I felt a tap, so sent the cast back in to feel another little tap. I twitched again then saw two Bream sitting on the tail of my lure. With an extra moment of pause, the line took off and another little Bream came aboard.

FlattySightCast2_M.jpg

Things got tougher as the wind picked up further and the tide reached its peak and turned. We struggled to hold position in the next deep hole, and I anchored to a tree while the others used their own anchors. Trent managed a cod up here, finally off the doughnut, while I was finding the going quiet. Heading back downstream across the flats, I trolled an Atomic Shad 50 and picked up a 30cm Flatty. Then things started to get a little more serious. Trent pushed ahead while Nathan and I hit a corner with the water draining off a flat (where I had pulled the first Flatty from the drain) into a deeper channel. I flicked the white Atomic Shad (Ghost Pearl Tiger) to the corner just before the drop off and after a few short retrieves and pauses, the line took off, bowing my rod behind me. The fish was on my light rod and the fight had to be patient in the current. I drifted quite a way as I landed the fish, a fat 56cm Flathead. As I did this, Nathan pulled one in not far downstream on the same hole at 52cm.

FlattyOn_M.jpg

Flatty56_M.jpg

Once dealing with my dinner, I headed back up to the corner, wanting to fish the bank again. Of course, I trolled back up with a pink Lively Lures Micro Mullet and the Atomic Shad out the back. As I reached the top of my intended drift, my Micro Mullet took off. This was on the 3-6kg Pflueger rod, and in quicker time I had a 54cm Flatty in the yak. Dinner was starting to look really good.

Flatty54-3_M.jpg

Across the next flat and onto a snag that has held some chunky Bream, Cod and Tarpon before I tried to hold in the current but could only get a cast off each time. First cast to an adjacent drain and a Tarpon leapt from the surface then sped straight into a snag. Bricked by a Tarpon! First time I've experience that! Thankfully I retrieved my lure, but not the fish. A few minutes later I had another nice hit in the same area, but no hookup. I pushed across the next flat back toward the last hole lined by mangroves before the channel winds its way through the sandy mouth. As I trolled across the flat with Micro Mullet and Atomic Shad out the back, in quick succession, I pulled in a 45.5cm Flatty on the Shad and a 36cm model on the Micro Mullet.

I fished from the top of the hole as the others were in the channel at the bottom. As I drifted more slowly down the hole with the mangroves acting as a nice wind break, I hooked up on the Micro Mullet hanging out the back. This was a fun fight, with my biggest fish of the day having some good runs. I had hoped for a little Barra with the first little run, and knowing that some big arches were showing on the sounder. Soon a 59cm Flathead was in the yak. As I did this, Nathan had landed another nice fish, a 65cm Flathead, around the corner where water runs from a flat, joining the main channel. He was on fire!

Flatty59-1_M.jpg

Flatty59-3_M.jpg

Flatty59-4_M.jpg

As the boys pushed off, heading for home, I set another drift on the hole, and picked up another little cod. I was then quizzed by a young bloke about my YouTube channel, sad to inform him that no, I'm not the Hard Yakka guy, I don't catch as many awesome fish as Dan does :cry: .

Finally, it was time for home, as the tide was about to start rushing in a make life hard! I pushed to a different point for simplicity, but ended up with about 400m on wheels back to the car. I could have driven out to collect the yak, but still would have had to walk whole distance anyway. The SandTrakz coped perfectly fine, despite there being ruts where cars had been going silly on the sand.

All-in-all, a great day on the water in slightly challenging wind and current. The Flathead season seems to be well under way, and while I didn't manage Nathan's numbers (71, 70, 65 and 54cm) I was pretty happy (59, 56, 54, 45.5, 38, 36 and 30-ish), along with six other species for the day, and a standard Tarpon somersault. Cheers guys for a great day!

Until next time, cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ads22 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Flatties are soooo on!

Postby Jamie D » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Cracker of a flattie and photo of it
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby arpie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Awesome day on the water! Yes, as we approach Spring -the flatties really DO come on!!

Great variety of fish again, too, Adam!! Well done

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby rocketV » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:03 pm

cracker session! so many species to chase in those waters you lucky fellas :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby Ads22 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Jamie D wrote:Cracker of a flattie and photo of it

Thanks JD. All lazy photos from the GoPro. Must get my butt into gear and take some decent pics of the good fish.

arpie wrote:Awesome day on the water! Yes, as we approach Spring -the flatties really DO come on!!

Great variety of fish again, too, Adam!! Well done

Roberta

Always a great variety up there arpie, beautiful place, too. I wanted to take rocky up there for a look but the real lizards were a bit scary for him! :lol:

rocketV wrote:cracker session! so many species to chase in those waters you lucky fellas :cool:

Definitely a bonus, that's for sure.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Paulioq » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 am

nice fish, the good old pink micro mullet does it again
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

Postby flattyakker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Cracking session Adam ans fantastic sizes between you both....I can't wait for the warm weather down here:)
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie Mirage Outback with sunroof

Jewfish 1.11m, Flathead 97cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 40cm, Whiting 37cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 59cm, calamari 33cm (hood).
flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

Postby WayneD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

Sounds like a dream session...I'm lucky to get one flatty a session at the moment. Can't wait till they turn on a bit more down at my spots.
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10
WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Postby Cubits » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Last August we pulled some real monsters out from the flats at jacobs well, just behind dinner island.

Haven't been down that way yet this year, but been getting good numbers up between wello point and viccy point. Pretty keen to hit the pin soon though.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Postby WayneD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:21 am

Cubits wrote:Last August we pulled some real monsters out from the flats at jacobs well, just behind dinner island.

Good to know. Although I live close to there now I have only ever fished Jacobs Well once! Might have to give it a visit next time I get out. There is just a lot more boat traffic there than in my usual spots.

On a falling tide off the flats I am presuming.
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10
WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Postby Leper » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Cracking report and some solid flatties! I also love the bycatch especially those Pikey Bream which are such aggressive buggers! Almost always catch one chasing Barra when I lived in Townsville and they would hit some big lures! Thanks for the write-up!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Re: Flatties are soooo on! [with Video]

Postby Ads22 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks guys. My first real success on the Pink Micro Mullet. Was a lot of fun. Tried to emulate on the weekend but not as much action.

Very true Brad, those Pikey hit hard.

Have added video to original post. It's a long one, but lots of fish.
Yak PBs
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Return to Estuary Reports