Early August Flatties, Barra and Sharks with videos

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Early August Flatties, Barra and Sharks with videos

Postby Ads22 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:02 pm

I managed to get out a few times earlier in the month. I haven’t had a chance to edit any length of video, but have a couple of clips in the report.

Pumpkin Creek Barra – Wednesday 8 Aug

Wednesday is a fishing day (well, I try to make it a fishing day most weeks) and the wind was expected to be up a little. Having recently landed a few smaller Mackerel I was keen to get onto some more, but with the wind expected to be up I elected for the shelter of the creek. I launched at Pumpkin Creek just after first light and headed straight across to the first little creek. The plan was to fish around the mouth as the tide pushed in and see if I could tempt a flathead or something more toothy hanging about the rocks on the point, then head back up the creek. One follow in the first small creek and that was it, so I pushed toward the mouth. The water was flat, but with the swell pushing around the point I cast around for a little before seeing some activity a couple of hundred metres out of the mouth.

PumpkinMouthSunrise1_M.jpg

I was in the GT and knew that I could handle the swell in it (not that there was any) and with it still being quite calm, elected to go exploring on an area I hadn’t yet paddled. I pushed out the mouth and tracked down the activity. At first it looked as though it could be sharks, but having recently seen Hard Yakka Dan’s Cobia hookup (see youtube) from a similar surface feeding, I had hopes of a similar encounter! As I approached, I could see it was Dolphins surfacing, and watched as they kept moving on down the beach.

As I was out of the mouth, I decided to keep pushing out to the nearby Girt Island. I would have loved to paddle to Quartz Reef where some Mackerel had been feeding lately, but being a 10km one-way paddle, I wasn’t so keen in the GT! And, I was short on time and underprepared for that sort of trip! It’s a 2km paddle out to Girt from the mouth. There didn’t appear to be much activity out there on the sounder and, being on a deadline to get back to Rocky for an appointment, I headed back to the creek after a quick look at the first point on the island.

Having used up half my available time already, I pushed up to the first few corners fishing quickly. Along the way I picked up a tiny Flathead from a shallow bank. After a few hours on the water, I picked up some good arches on the sounder on the last corner I would fish before turning for home. I was casting a 60mm Jem Lures soft vibe in a yellow with black back colouring. Turning for the return journey and casting again to a snag on a shallow muddy bank I got onto my first decent fish of the day. The little Pflueger Salt Finesse 30x continues to impress in the way it handles a fish. A nice little jump and a brief tussle later I had a nice 52cm Barra in the net. It might be Winter, but they are still feeding!

PumpkinBarraLeap_M.jpg

The fish had engulfed the lure and a little surgery was required to release the hook from the gill. Being undersized, I was careful to free the hooks as best I could but there was a little bleeding. A quick tag and I sent him off for another day.

BarraJem_M.jpg

PumpkinBarra52_M.jpg

I flicked around for a bit longer here, then the next few corners before making a beeline for the ute and heading for home.

Fitzroy River Barra and Shark – Friday 10 Aug

Having been on call the previous weekend, I was keen to use my Friday RDO to have a paddle. I dropped the kids to school then raced down to the Fitzroy and dropped in for a session targeting King Threadfin. The water was lovely and calm, and I spent a good amount of time around the green marker in town but couldn’t raise even a nudge. I decided to push down towards the southside boat ramp and map the area and continued past the ramp to the mouth of Gavial Creek. Being right near the corner of the river, the wind was pushing straight up the river and making things a little challenging to hold in the mixing currents from the creek and river, combined with the wind.

As I was keen to map more and try and locate schools while I was at it, I headed across toward the opposite bank and pushed along the drop-off, trolling a variety of lures as I went hoping to stumble over a thready or barra. I had trolled the whole way back up to the first bridge (the ‘old bridge’) and still hadn’t had a touch, so fished around the bridge for a while. I couldn’t even see any boats getting any fish action, so trolled over some rock bars heading to the next bridge, pushed through into a bay sheltered well from the current and wind and stood and cast for a while.

Fishing was dead quiet, and I continued a little further up to the rail bridge, fishing in 12m of water with a few moderate sized arches showing up but still couldn’t raise a thing. Heading back downstream, I trolled back to the first bridge, turned back up over a rock bar that had previously produced a few times for me and still nothing. I was about out of time but turned and flicked the lures out and trolled back over the rock bar toward the car. The deeper lure bounced over the rocky structure and I thought it gave a little pull but it didn’t continue. Something seemed strange, so I retrieved the line anyway and felt a few little shakes. It was a brief fight that had me a little puzzled as I skull-dragged a little Barra to the yak on one of Nativeman’s Tazer lures. As it neared the yak, a bull shark came up under the fish then took off. Being a bit surprised, I was still a bit bemused when the shark came back and hit the dangling fish on the surface. Luckily, I was able to lift the fish quick enough to only get a few marks on the tail/wrist.

SharkyBarra3_M.jpg

TazerBarra40-2_M.jpg

A quick tag, being only 40cm, and I released him to fight again, if he escapes that cheeky bloody shark! I wasn’t keen to swim the fish this time! I was cutting it fine now, so raced back and packed up the ute in record time. I do love a good school hours paddle and fish!

Pumpkin Creek and Causeway Lake Flatties and co. – Saturday 11 Aug

For Saturday, I was torn on where to go and was unsure on the weather, but with the little Barra I caught on Wednesday, decided to go to Pumpkin Creek again and fish the creek more thoroughly. Gary wanted to come along for a look so I brought the Fish Bandit along, thinking the creek was a little too skinny for the Reload for him, and being keen to use the GT myself. In hindsight, this was probably not a great move, as Gary is a little bigger than I, and with a solid tidal flow, the Bandit has a tendency to turn quickly and make fishing quite hard. Despite the water being like glass, the current was fast and strong, and this made things tough for Gary in a smaller and less comfortable yak (compared with his first trip in the GT) requiring a lot of direction adjustment.

20180811_063913_M.jpg

I was keen to fish the creek hard and worked my way along the banks with sporadic casts out in to the main channel. There was some pretty good structure as I worked up the creek with the incoming tide, and it seemed like a long time when I had finally had a hit and hooked up. I had cast the Slam 59 ahead along the mangroves and a few twitches later came the familiar thud of a flatty. It took me a bit to confirm its identity as it quickly thrashed at the surface then settled into the familiar flatty tussle. A nice legal flatty came to the net and was stowed away for dinner.

Flat49_M.jpg

Flatty49_M.jpg

I went back to check on Gary and found him heading toward the ramp to stretch his legs and re-assess his plans. Being keen to fish, I headed back upstream and kept working my way through the deeper holes. I couldn’t raise another fish for what seemed like ages when Gary messaged me to say he needed to head home. He loaded the Bandit up for me and headed off while I continued further upstream, passing a boat that had got a few Bream on bait.

As I rounded my top mark, I began my troll back downstream and finally scored another fish, a tiny Blue Salmon. Fishing the holes again briefly without luck, I was about done for the creek, so trolled back to the ramp without a touch.

The day was still reasonably young, so I packed up and headed to the Causeway for a paddle. As expected, the wind had gotten up, and the often-busy Causeway Lake was looking quiet. I packed lighter than usual and headed out with a plan to troll the flats and the main channel at the start of the northern arm and running up toward the causeway itself. As I went, I mapped out my path, and will continue to do so into the future for a clearer understanding of the depth.

Shortly after getting into my plan, I had another legal flatty for dinner, this one flopping onto a trolled gold Micro Mullet. I continued the trolling pattern, pushing wider each pass to map more bottom and soon picked up a nice little Silver Jew. This was a cool surprise given I thought it would be a Bream early in the fight. As the afternoon went on, I picked up an undersized flatty and a small Trevally.

Flat42_M.jpg

SJew365_M.jpg

I started the day with a plan, and while it didn’t pan out as hoped, and adjustments had to be made, I still had a great time on the water and managed to get the family a feed!

20180811_194132_S.jpg

Fitzroy River Jumping Sharks – Wednesday 15 Aug

I had another on call weekend coming up and was going to miss the King of the Fitzroy competition (Threadfin comp), but managed to get some time on the water on Wednesday for a fish. I planned on starting around the green marker then pushing upstream to the mouth of Moore’s Creek, then further to the deep holes around the ‘new bridge’, then further upstream again to the rail bridge to try a few different things. Soft vibes are used a lot in the river and I was keen to try a micro jig through the deep holes. I was sure something different would get a bite.

As the morning wore on, Nathan joined me on the water. The morning turned into afternoon, neither of us had a touch. I had seen some schools of smaller to medium sized fish on my journey and stopped to try and entice through a variety of lures but to no avail. I reached the new bridge holes and tried casting and jigging the micro jig, then similar amongst other lures closer to the rail bridge. I couldn’t entice a thing. ‘Something different’ was not working! Other than fish on the sounder, all I had seen were a few bull sharks jumping in the distance or hearing the splashes somewhere behind me.

Since I was getting nowhere on the fishing front, I tossed some lures out the back and trolled upstream to the 400m mark (fishing exclusion zone below the barrage), mapping my way. One guy in a boat reported that he had dropped a good specimen on the surface after a bit of a fight but otherwise had been dead quiet. On the northern bank was a bloke fishing within the 400m exclusion zone. I took my time, checked a couple of maps and GPS devices, checked the signage and approached him, giving him a reminder of the rules and asked him kindly to move on. Thankfully, he did so promptly, without argument but doubt it’ll stop him going back.

I trolled back down and hooked my first rock bar for the day! It was for the wrong reason, but it was a peeling drag! The lure was retrieved unharmed and I kept on back towards the ramp, changing course for the familiar rock bars. As I approached the first one, I noticed some streaks in one of the holes and stopped to cast for a bit when just within casting distance ahead of me, a 5ft (or so) bull shark leapt clear of the water, with full barrel roll. It wasn’t a fish, but at least there was something cool to catch on camera!

Shark_M.jpg

It’s not uncommon to doughnut in the Fitzroy and the fishing seems really quiet for the moment in the town reaches. Hopefully that’ll pick up again soon!

So, that covers my last few sessions. A few nice fish, despite not being able to entice any Threadies and ending on a long, slow doughnut. A couple of cool shark encounters in the town reaches of the Fitzroy. And, a new island to explore more thoroughly some-day, perhaps even to fish the reef properly and pull up on the beach for a feed! Here’s hoping for the Mackerel to fire up properly soon, and then it should be all systems go for Threadies and Barra.
Cheers and happy fishing,

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Early August Flatties, Barra and Sharks with videos

Postby Brendon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Another great report mate.
Would love to have a tropical creek system on my door step.
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Postby Nativeman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 am

Nice one Adam, my old kayak and my lures are still working. Great to see!
Sel

BUY AUSTRALIAN MADE LURES

SUPPORT A LOCAL

https://onecastlures.com.au/shop/
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: the planet

Postby Ads22 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Brendon wrote:Another great report mate.
Would love to have a tropical creek system on my door step.

Cheers, Brendon. There are so many options here that sometimes it is difficult. The closest to me is the Fitzroy and is sometimes that hardest to fish - deep water, rock bars and very varied bite - perhaps less so for the good fisherfolk. There are some great fish including Barramundi, Barred Javelin, King and Blue Threadfin among others. The tidal mangrove creeks are much more consistent with a larger variety of species readily available.

Nativeman wrote:Nice one Adam, my old kayak and my lures are still working. Great to see!

The kayak kicks just nicely and I hope to add some more species to Rom Tom, Tazers and friends.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Leper » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:52 pm

A nice reports Ads and I must admit I’m starting to enjoy the cooked up meal at the end of the fishing trip. The leaping shark reminds me of my early days living in Townsville when I hooked up on my first shark off Horseshoe Bay on Magnetic Island. I had no idea how to get it off and the initial run and leap was amazing. From memory mine was a Black Tip!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby Ads22 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Leper wrote:A nice reports Ads and I must admit I’m starting to enjoy the cooked up meal at the end of the fishing trip. The leaping shark reminds me of my early days living in Townsville when I hooked up on my first shark off Horseshoe Bay on Magnetic Island. I had no idea how to get it off and the initial run and leap was amazing. From memory mine was a Black Tip!

I'm enjoying them, too, Leper! Sharks - I guess a problem with net free zones is the shark numbers increase, too. I wouldn't mind landing the occasional 3-4ft shark and taking it for a feed, Dealing with them could be an issue, worth having a club handy I suppose.
Yak PBs
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Return to Estuary Reports