Sunday Meditation

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Sunday Meditation

Postby Yakyakker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:12 pm

The lower Swan River has been kind to me lately, so today I launched near Blackwall Reach again armed with some bream lures. Launching into some more beaut weather on a tippy top high tide, I was soon drifting along Blackwall Reach peering down into the clear water. As usual, 5 metres below me there were loads of bream , some large ones and some big schools. Blackwall Reach bream are pretty damn frustrating though, and dropping every sinking lure I had right amongst the schools achieved nothing apart from a lone blowie. I did meet two yak fishos in Hobie Revo’s, g’day guys if you are reading this.

Moving on, I headed to a different part of the river. After a long fast pedal I realised I’d reached a good spot when a cormorant surfaced next to the yak with a 30cm bream flapping in his beak. Casting the basstrix lures that were so good last week yielded nothing but bitten off tails from the plague of blowies that had returned. I did have two follows from good bream in shallow water, who took off right next to the kayak.

A short stop

I could still see heaps of bream, but they were so frustrating, they just weren’t taking lures! Getting a bit desperate I grabbed a few mussels from a floating pontoon and stuck a whole mussel, shell and all, onto an unweighted hook. Casting close to structure, I was immediately busted off by a good fish around a barnacle encrusted pylon. A couple of casts later though and luck was again on my side, a hard fighting 38cm bream coming yakside after a few scary moments...

Luck again on my side

Unhooking him, I was wondering why the bream was bleeding so much when I realised it was my blood. I had cut one finger quite deep when collecting the mussels, so when they ran out soon afterwards it was back to lures (which are more fun to use anyway). A blade was tied on and stayed on the rest of the day.

Plenty of schooling bream in the 25-30cm range about – hooking them was hard though.

With the tide now running out, it was like a switch had been turned on and the fish started hitting lures. Four 28-30cm bream were landed after taking the blade in water next to bankside rocks. A lone herring made his presence felt, before I hooked something while bouncing the blade along the bottom...

My first flounder on a lure

Soon I found my favourite spot and cast in the exact same place as I hooked that 41cm bream last week. After releasing two fish around 30cm, a 35cm fish took a liking to the blade and put up a hard fight..

35cm specimen.

So, another great Sunday afternoon and a great way to relax. The lower Swan is quickly becoming my favourite lure spot.
Paul (Tuckers).
Yellow Hobie Adventure 'Achilles II'.
Green Finn 4.25m sit in 'Aaaarrrrr'
http://yakyakker.wordpress.com

I love yaks.
Yakyakker
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Perth

Re: Sunday Meditation

Postby Leper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Another sensational days bream fishing. Great report and some cracking good bream again. Outstanding!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Mantra Noa, Viking Temp, Eco Daintree and Coleman Scanoe

Postby splitz » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:38 pm

Top session and some awesome photos too.
splitz
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney Harbour

Postby T-curve » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Seems as though you have the bream bug Paul. Some quality bream fella...keep em coming !! :ha:
Cheers
Adrian

Tarpon 100

T-curve
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Midnorth coast

Postby Digger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:31 am

Great report Paul,

You get my blood circulating with stories and great pics like that. Well done mate.

Mind you that's not how I meditate but it likely has the same effect.

Dig

WARNING: Do not meditate in your yak....you might fall out!
Digger
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: E.G. to Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Yaks Gone Tinny Now

Postby waterbaby1972 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Great story Tuckers... I had never heard or experienced a flounder in the West before and was quite dumbstruck when i recently caught a couple near here... they are the weirdest critters ever! Nice eating but.... :snic: hope you enjoyed dinner!
waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden, NSW and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Sport

Postby Biggles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm please you are competing in the next series of the KFT, they are some cracking barnacle munchers Paul, well done mate.

Al
Biggles
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

Postby Yakyakker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 pm

waterbaby1972 wrote:Great story Tuckers... I had never heard or experienced a flounder in the West before and was quite dumbstruck when i recently caught a couple near here... they are the weirdest critters ever! Nice eating but.... :snic: hope you enjoyed dinner!

Yep, I ate the fella - he was quite nice, close to whiting. It's the first flounder I've caught on a lure, but there's some really massive ones around penguin island, caught one a while ago on bait that was huge...

Digger wrote:WARNING: Do not meditate in your yak....you might fall out!

No need to do anything extra I reckon, kayak fishing is the most effective form of meditation out there. Clears the brain of absolutely everything else.
Paul (Tuckers).
Yellow Hobie Adventure 'Achilles II'.
Green Finn 4.25m sit in 'Aaaarrrrr'
http://yakyakker.wordpress.com

I love yaks.
Yakyakker
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Perth

Postby waterbaby1972 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:29 pm

:bb: oops weird techno issue then...sorry :baf:
Last edited by waterbaby1972 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club

Postby waterbaby1972 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Yakyakker wrote:Yep, I ate the fella - he was quite nice, close to whiting. It's the first flounder I've caught on a lure, but there's some really massive ones around penguin island, caught one a while ago on bait that was huge...

well, you certainly beat my PB of first flounder... first one 8cm :sad1: - I kid you not! (I have this uncanny knack of catching the smallest of every species).the next one was size and very very nice eating. Had to google how to clean it but... :snic: both caught on trusty prawns.

thanks again for your reports, keeps the memories alive...
cheers
:bye:
waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club

Postby loboloco » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Nice report. And good work getting them on vibes!

Cheers
Loboloco
loboloco
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: vic

Postby justforfun » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Nice report top photo's you certainly seem to have that place sorted at the moment.cheers justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 41.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby Estuary Girl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:49 am

Nice going Paul and flounder would have to be one of my favourite fish for the plate.
Good results on the bream too.I'm still to squeeze in some practice with the bream in.

Cheers.
Toni

Club Co-Ordinator
Estuary Girl
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: SE QLD,Far North NSW
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 495,Ultra 4.3,Dirigo,Prowler 13 & Scrambler 11.

Postby brez » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:10 pm

some really some breambos there , well done . ive never eaten flounder before as i always let them go , but im likely to be keeping a few now that ive read how good they taste . cheers

Brendan
brez

Return to Estuary Reports