Flathead Frenzy Pic now attached

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
PA Pete
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Flathead Frenzy Pic now attached

#1 Post by PA Pete » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:40 am

I've been laid up for a couple of months so no fishing for me, and it is an itch that's been driving me batty !!! :lek: Along comes my mate for a cuppa this morning and inquires when i'm going fishing next as i supply his little family fish [6 kids,mum & dad, gran & pop]. So after a catch up and a plan to tackle some barra in the fresh up the Kolan during the week. Headed to the shed to get a few things sorted. Well that itch went into overdrive before i could stop myself i had the kayak loaded in the ute with one rod & 4 SP grubs, no fish finder [as the battery is now on charge] :smart: & headed off to the boat ramp just around the corner. For those who know the Booyan Road boat ramp at Moore Park Beach, I headed west up to the Jack point and the sand flats up there. I fish up there when going to bring home fish as i have never missed in this spot [ hope i haven't jinxed myself :grr: ]. And on cue the flatties started to come [please understand I'm not a gun fisho its just a really good spot], first fish went 68 cm so to say i was stoked was a understatement, back she went with a healthly flick of her tail. Just had time to roll a smoke when i picked up my rod again and zzzzzzz fish on, this went 52cm and back it went. These first two fish fought pretty good but the next flattie went batsh#t, it had two decent runs in it but the last two to three minutes it spent jumping and tail walking all over the place, I was gobsmacked as I have never seen a flathead do this before , even though she was shaken and rollin she couldn't spit my SP as she just swallowed it straight down. This one had to come home with me as I couldn't retrieve the hook without killing the fish. She went 62cm, I will let you know that i don't normally take home flatties over 60cm as a rule.
Top of the tide so now I'm fishing in about 1m of water flick out a new SP and jighead and it was hit on the drop zzzzzzz good run but not much weight, what is it, getting close but still had another run left and zzzz off it went again but this time a lot of weight, whats going on here cause once again there is hardly any weight, well up comes a small grunter with a third of its bottom missing. Bloody bull shark got it and back it went to feed the eagles. Roll another smoke and a drink, then pulled up the anchor and trolled the flat for a while. Zzzzzzzzzz on again with a good little fight this one went 59cm and went back to get bigger, set the anchor again only 50m from my first spot. There must of been a big female around as the next two fish to come aboard went 42 & 45cm they both went back. A quick shorten of my leader was called for [ left it all at home :?: ],then another two fatties in quick that went both 52cm [ think they could of been twins ] they came home with me. This is living!! To be back in my yak out in the fresh air doing what i love, you can't ask for anything more [ except for more screaming reels of course :wink: ] I think its time to head back, so up anchor and troll the drop off on the way back. 10metres into the troll and you know it zzzzzzzzz good fish, rod is buckled over, this is a nice fish with three screaming runs and up pops the flattie of the day 78cm, if you are on the Kolan it could of been me you heard yahooin and goin on like a pork chop, after i settled down a bit she was released with a promise of seeing each other again.
Trolling again and just hit the drop off of a deep hole I like to hit every now and then and you guessed it ZZZZZZZZZZ big fish a lot of weight, WOW, this thing is taking line like theres no tomorrow. What have i got [ this is the spot i got my PB jack ] could this be a new PB?? Gaining line then zzzzzzzzzzzzzz another big run, hell if the is a jack it is a monster, take you time boofhead don't panic slow down, pump and wind, pump and wind, zzzzzzzzzzzz sh#t this fish docent want to play the game, so what does boofhead do tighten the drag BANG its gone, i was shattered to say the lease :oops: , rookie mistake. No more jigheads, so with my bottom lip dragging I made it back to the ramp.
When i got home i took the photos below, next time ill take my camera with me. Thanks for taking the time to read my first ever fish report and i hope to post another during the week when we chase some barra
Yours in fishing
Pete.
ps Just tried up loading photos but they are to big so it will take me some time to work this one out sorry!!!! :idiot:
Last edited by PA Pete on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm

simons rat
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Re: Flathead Frenzy

#2 Post by simons rat » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:18 am

sounds like an awesome time.

can't wait to see the photos.

thanks for sharing,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler ... 258444623/

Dinger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yamba
Kayaks: mariner 10

#3 Post by Dinger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:29 am

Good outing there & entertaining write up,good to get a nice feed of flatties.

Green Hornet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

#4 Post by Green Hornet » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 pm

What a way to get back onto the water. Sounds like a real hot bite.
Are they duskies, or do you have a different type of flathead up there?

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#5 Post by arpie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Well done & WELCOME TO KFDU, Pete!!

What a Great way to open your reports here!! Some big flatties start getting active as the weather warms up to Spring ...... (tho I reckon it is pretty warm up your way most of the time, eh?) I remember driving past Baffle Creek last year, thinking ...... gee, I'd love to hit that!! One Day!!

What a Shame you tightened your drag on the biggie! :cry: We've all done it sometime & lost good fish to it! :beye: If anything, (if not in a snaggy area) you should loosen it so your knot doesn't fail & hook doesn't doesn't straighten ..... or even up anchor & chase it in the yak! I lost a good fish last week because I stayed 'pegged out' ...... yet another lesson learned! :roll:

Looking forward to your pics ...... a good size to aim for would be about 150kb each .... about the size you might use if emailing them.

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

PA Pete
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

#6 Post by PA Pete » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks for the tips Roberta, I think i was a bit rusty and thanks for the photo advice.

Yes Green Hornet they are Duskies. Pic attached.

Thanks to all for the comments, I hope to add to the already talented reports on the site.

Yours in fishing
Pete. :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm

Green Hornet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

Re: Flathead Frenzy Pic now attached

#7 Post by Green Hornet » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 am

Yes Green Hornet they are Duskies. Pic attached.

Thanks mate. I wasn't sure if they got duskies that far north.
Great feed there too.

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#8 Post by pdfarrell » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:18 am

A Good Read and a Good Feed!
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
PF

mudcrab
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: south coast
Kayaks: Hobie Quest moss green, Hobie Outback 2013 olive

#9 Post by mudcrab » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Wow nice trip out. they're all good size fish too
HOBIE QUEST pb: 34cm Bream, 70cm Flattie, 35cm EP, 32cm Blackfish, stinking pike, 54cm Sargent baker, 32cm bass, 53cm silver Trevally.

Return to “Estuary Reports”