Nice morning on The Causeway

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Nice morning on The Causeway

Postby rocky » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Hit The Causeway near Yeppoon this morning for a couple of hours, only took a couple hb's and sp's picked up a Bream 28cm on third cast then another same size a few casts later. Moved around the flats picking up a odd fish now and again consisting of small Flathead and a couple more Bream with one coming up half a cm short of 32cm. Started heading back to the ramp and cast at a drop off well 30cm of water into about a metre, two cranks of the handle and up came a 29cm Bream then I hooked up on 6 more on consecutive casts all around 30cm mark after that missed a few more with one completely crushing the hooks, also landed a Sickle Fish. Top morning with a few fish and great weather.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rocky on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback & Yellow Pacer
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Area, Anywhere.
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's Pacer

Re: Nice morning on The Causeway

Postby Ads22 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:28 pm

That's a very productive morning rocky. If I had known we weren't going to be getting away today, I'd have been there in a heartbeat!! Frustrated to not be at our camping destination and itching for a fish but feeling very scattered now having had to delay our departure. Might just have to head to the river with a couple of stubbies and rods and try and nab a barra.

Will try and catch up when I get back from Baffle Creek.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby arpie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Nice fish, Rocky!! I think I found a Sickle Fish in Wallis Lake some years back! I'd never seen one before so didn't know it's name!!

Well done to Mick for his 3rd placing in the Forster round! He'd be stoked!! :wink: Even Richard Somerton only found 2 fish on day 2, & some top anglers found none!!

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby kkw » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 am

Hey Rocky. Nice session. I think you may find that your sickle fish is a Striped Scat, Selenotoca multifasciata. They are quite different when you see a photo side by side. Good effort none the less :)
kkw
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking/Botany Bay, New South Wales

Postby rocky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:49 pm

kkw wrote:Hey Rocky. Nice session. I think you may find that your sickle fish is a Striped Scat, Selenotoca multifasciata. They are quite different when you see a photo side by side. Good effort none the less :)

Thanks for that kkw but I am not sure which fish it is as the sickle fish doesn't have stripes and the scat does not have the spots or very few, also neither have the large dorsal spines the body is similar for both, good fight though.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Postby kkw » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Rocky.

I can see the difference easily :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kkw
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking/Botany Bay, New South Wales

Postby rocky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks kkw, when I looked up scat it looked different from the pic you have put up. There were no spots only bars and no spikes dorsal, the body shape was the same thou.
Anyhow the pic you have shown definitely shows it's a Scat.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Postby rocky » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Well headed back to Causeway Lake again this morning and managed a couple of new species to the list, one I am not sure of, so if you know what it is please tell. The other was a small GT I think. I caught a doz Bream but couldn't get any upgrades for the challenge with them all being 27 - 30cm. Managed 2 Grunters as well with one going 47cm, good tussle on 1.5kg braid & the other 31cm. Odd thing though was there were no Flathead, well one very small one that got off.
Lovely morning and a few fish to boot.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky

P.S. Fish identified, Threadfin Silver Biddy, thanks kkw, oh yeah you to Paul for the lead in

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG
Last edited by rocky on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Postby pdfarrell » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Looks a bit like a silver biddy Rocky... just guessing though, the ones I've caught in lake mac were tiny..

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby kkw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Yep, threadfin Silver Biddie
kkw