Woohoo!! I hooked a Giant Herring!! SO much fun!

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.

Woohoo!! I hooked a Giant Herring!! SO much fun!

Postby arpie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi guys

I've landed 2 other Giant Herring - my first one at Wilderness Island in WA (put this place on your 'Must Do' list - it is AWESOME!) and the 2nd one in Forster about 2-3 years ago ... a 70cm+ specimens (and PB to date - tho I busted off on a 1m one a few days later!) so this was going to be my third!!

Last week, I hooked 3 in one session - but the first one (on an Umpa with Assist Hooks) busted off one of the Assist hooks :cry: and the other 2 (Damiki Saemi) straightened the hooks on the treble & got off! :beye:

I went out a couple of days after, trying to relocate them, but couldn't ..... so today - with a nice high tide in the morning I figured it was worth a punt to try & do find them again!! You can have a lot of fun, fishing in areas that don't normally 'see' high tide! :wink:
PB040001.jpg

SO ....off I go ... but I couldn't catch a cold!! My first cast resulted in a really strong bream 'hit' but it couldn't find the hooks (Umpa!) My 2nd 'hit' also couldn't find the hooks (NW pencil) and my 3rd hit, also couldn't find the hooks (Umpa!) :beye:

WTF??? Grrrr! I was getting a tad annoyed here!! It was a gorgeous day & the water was 100% clear ..... I was making long casts, trying to stay as far away from the fish/structure ..... with no results! :idiot:

Casting around the shallows, I put on a 'Wilderness Island Special' lure that I had found recently (they only have rear hooks, as it is recommended to remove the middle hook for ease of landing the fish & not damaging it more than possible!) and cast it out ... only to wonder what the hell had happened!! The line had gone limp ..... and I realised that somehow, I had just cast my brand new lure into the distance & not seen where it had landed, as it had separated from the line!! :idiot: The tide was still coming in, so I hunted around for a while, hoping to spot it!! Being a 'suspender' - sometimes they 'sink' when they land ...... but because this one was missing the middle hook, it was a floater ..... so I figured that it should 'sit on top' if it were nearby & blow me down, I was right!! Eventually, the lure floated back to me & I was able to grab it from the water!! WIN!
PB040002.jpg

Heading to my preferred GH spot ..... with the big tide, the water was way too deep for them, i reckoned, so went off hunting other fish! I was casting past posts & retrieving when I was nearly scared out of my kayak - by a fish that HOONED up towards the lure & launched out of the water (missing the lure!) really close to the yak! The FH words happened .... F***ing HELL! It was a streamlined fish with a pointy face - not a GH, not a whiting, not a flattie, bream or any other fish that I would recognise - and it raced off, never to be seen again!

I went over to the shallow weed bed & started casting my fav GG around .... and heard/felt that 'clunk' and knew that a decent flattie had jumped on board! :grin: It took off!! I loosened the drag as I was in the shallows with no structure - and it took off further! It jumped out of the water & I could see it had engulfed the lure, so had to take it easy! Eventually, I brought it to the yak & netted it!!

Yep - it had totally engulfed the lure!! MINE!
PB040003.jpg

It was a nice flattie - about 54cm
PB040007.jpg

And it like my custom red GG ;)
PB040005.jpg

I kept swapping back to topwater lures now & then, as I'd had some fun last week on them ..... and after seeing a fish jump 'over there' .... I cast the Umpa with NEW assist hooks on it (after the bustoff last week!) towards it & blow me down .... the water exploded & a Giant Herring leapt out of the water!!! WOOHOOO!! THIS time, I will try & 'contain it' and bring it to the net! :glad:

It was leaping all round the place, jumping & gyrating, trying to dislodge the hooks! I could see that the assist hooks were well down in the throat .... and tried to keep the line tight to the fish in the air, actually reducing the length, til finally, it jumped into the net!! :lek: It went 55cm!
PB040010.jpg

It had taken the hooks down quite deep & was bleeding badly! :cry: Even then, it was STILL leaping all around the yak!! The lip grips weren't really effective for some reason - so I had to hold it firmly by the gills, as it was already pretty well stuffed!! :cry:
PB040008.jpg

I was SO STOKED to land this GH - as I'd hooked 3 last week but had been busted off on one (Umpa with assist hooks) and hooks straightened on 2 others (Damiki Saemi) ......
PB040009.jpg

I took a few pics, but didn't realise that water had been flicked onto the lens of the camera, rendering them pretty well useless! :?: It is still a really neat fish!
PB040011.jpg

SO much fun, hooking & landing these difficult fish ...... I think it has explained some of the weird hits & misses that I've had in recent times in the shallows - with big hits or ballistic behaviour .... and not hooking up!!

Looking forward to getting into some more... tight lines

cheerio

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Woohoo!! I hooked a Giant Herring!! SO much fun!

Postby lantana » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:19 am

sounds like a lot of fun nice looking fish and great photos too
Lantana.
lantana
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby flattyakker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 am

Great work Arpie...you sure were focussed on getting one of those GH beasts! Nice flatty too!
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie Mirage Outback with sunroof

Jewfish 1.11m, Flathead 97cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 40cm, Whiting 37cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 59cm, calamari 33cm (hood).
flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

Postby rocketV » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 am

That sounds like fun! :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby murd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Did you try eating that herring?

Few bones I believe but you can pick your way around them if you have a spare weekend!
murd
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Northern Beaches
Kayaks: Sprite (SIK), Old Town Loon (SIK), Stealth Fisha 460

Postby BrendanH » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

That Giant Herring looks built for speed - all streamlined muscle and massive tail. It must have put up one hell of a fight. Nice fish.
BrendanH
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin

Postby Dodge » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:20 pm

A great reward for your efforts in catching one Roberta.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Postby clutch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Cracker fish. Looks like the flattie needed surgery to get the lure out. Obviously hungry.

Do you often take front trebles off?

Clutch
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 45 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike
clutch
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Postby arpie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks guys ..... this little fella was on steroids!! :lol: The ones I hooked last week were bigger & way more powerful.

Yes ... I was really determined to get one this time, after hooking the 3 last week and losing them all. I could see them in the water, hooning around the shallows & giving chase to my lure but peeling off at the last minute - like whiting do - but they were way bigger than 'our' whiting & it was only after I sped up the lure speed that switched on the 'chase/bite' mode & they were hunting in a pack of about 10 or more last week - this week, it was more individuals I think! Only when I finally hooked one & it leapt out of the water did I realise it was a GH! I stayed there for another 3-4hrs, catching the 2 others - just cast after cast - and hooked them on a diving lure twice as well (Saemi) and had them right to the yak when the hooks straightened :beye: The next 2-3 outings were fruitless .... so the tide was right on Sat to try again! :lek:

I've got a pretty good idea on where to find them now ..... quite a large area - and they seem more aggressive on the Out Tide, I've found.

...Did you try eating that herring? ....

I thought about it, but had kept the flattie for a feed, so didn't need to! Yes, I thought they'd be very boney. I guess if you were on a desert island - you'd eat it! :grin:

....That Giant Herring looks built for speed - all streamlined muscle and massive tail. It must have put up one hell of a fight. Nice fish.

This one was much better behaved that last weeks'!! He only jumped 4 times - the last time into the net! :gu: I really kept tight to it in the air this time. Yes, all muscle & jumpy, even in my lap. The lip grip slipped off a couple of times & he nearly jumped overboard, so I had to grab him quite dimly in the gills. He'd been bleeding profusely already due to the hooks in the throat .... so figured he wouldn't survive anyway. :cry:

.. Looks like the flattie needed surgery to get the lure out..

Yep, he really wanted it!! Luckily, once I'd disengaged the front hook, the rear one (which looked like it was down it's gullet) just fell out! But I kept it for dinner anyway - so he was doomed from the start! :lol: I don't keep many fish - but a nice feed of flattie for 2 is just right!

....Do you often take front trebles off?....

Not normally ..... I'd 'rediscovered' a tray of lures I'd used at Wilderness Island a few years back - and they often request that you remove the front hook for two reasons - to not damage the fish there ( as it is pretty well a Catch & Release area tho the odd fish is kept for the table), and it makes it MUCH easier to grab the lure & land the fish when it is hooked by the only treble - if you grab the leader, the fish will often bounce around & bust the leader, so grabbing the lure without the middle hook is much more secure. The other time i have the middle treble off is if I am fishing above flooded oyster racks! :wink: Often they grab the rear lure but if the middle one is still there, when they try to dive, IT gets caught on the netting of the racks & the fish usually get off. That little bit of weight removed also makes the lure 'float' a little bit too, so less chance of the rear treble hooking up as you prospect the top of the racks as well.

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby kkw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 am

SO much fun, hooking & landing these difficult fish ...... I think it has explained some of the weird hits & misses that I've had in recent times in the shallows - with big hits or ballistic behaviour .... and not hooking up!!
Looking forward to getting into some more... tight lines]

I have just returned from 2 weeks up there. Went out 14 mornings from 17 days stay, but events conspired against yet again catching up for a fish. Headed out each morning at 5.30am for a couple of hours and then back to Great Lakes for family commitments. What can I say!!! Next year? :)
I hooked up on a herring near Regatta Island and also the usual Long Toms. The water was very clear this year and I saw some monster lizards in really shallow water. Released a lot that were over 60cms and got busted off by bigger fish. Had one old girl, which I reckoned was over the 1m mark, played out beside the yak but she wouldn't have fitted in the net. She took one look at my smiling face, shook her head once and swam off with some new lip jewellery. So many flathead this year - most released. Next year should be a bumper one if the dozens of 40cm fish we released, make it to 50cms. How was that storm on Thursday??? night!! The lightning strike just near the caravan park, rattled the windows and blew the power in the park. Really enjoyed the couple of weeks AND will try to catch up next time. Will you go out that early? 6am?
Keep up the great reports and try not to get impaled by trebles :lek:
kkw
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking/Botany Bay, New South Wales

Postby Freewily » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:02 am

Good stuff Roberta! :lek: Well done on the catch! :lek:
Nice pics as usual. :glad:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Return to Estuary Reports