Calliope River Meetup

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Calliope River Meetup

#1 Post by Ads22 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm

I headed down to Gladstone on Sunday for a meetup with the crew from the Gladstone Kayak Fishing Group. I had met a couple of them a few weeks back, and was good to meet some more this week. There was a little competition for biggest fish on the day, but I never gave it a scare. On the water shortly after 5am, launching at the boat ramp near the power station, I worked around some edges and a draining creek to begin. Second cast under the bridge was met with a little hit. Moving over to the creek, I hooked up and dropped a fish that went aerial. Then, I quickly landed a little flatty going 38cm, then shortly later an embarrassingly small bream and moses perch. I then switched sides of the river and was certain there'd be fish in a snag. I tried surface first and had a ripper follow and hit but no hook-up. After several casts I switched to sub-surface for no apparent interest. Then I switched to a Happy Rock Softies 'Willy' and was quickly hit as the lure dropped. A quick, vigorous fight that dragged me into the snag and I had a nice little cod aboard, going 32cm. I had hoped with the hit that it would be a jack. A few minutes later and further along the bank of mangroves I found myself a nice bream. It went hard a few times at the snag and I fought hard with little elegance to land it. I didn't get a good picture as it decided it liked the idea of getting wet again as I sat it on the ruler. Things went quiet after that. I worked up to an old boat ramp and the rail bridge, then back down, trolling pretty well the whole way and stopping at suspicious looking snags. I barely had a touch for the rest of morning and called quits at lunch time when we had a few snags and a chat. A few nice fish were caught including a 600mm Queenfish and a few nice flatties and the likes.
20180304_055154_M.jpg
20180304_055927_S.jpg
Tinyfush_M.jpg
Calliope Moses_M.jpg
20180304_065013_M.jpg
Caughtoncamera_M.jpg
I padded the day out with a couple of hours paddle at Raglan Creek in the fresh water. It was gorgeous on the water, however, I didn't get a touch the whole time.

Hopefully get out for a look and better fishing soon!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Re: Calliope River Meetup

#2 Post by rocketV » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Looks like some fishy water! Cod are considered by most to be just an annoying by-catch, but they are pretty cool looking fish in their own right I reckon.
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: the planet

#3 Post by Nativeman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35 am

Nice report Adam,,, thanks for sharing .
Sel

WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

#4 Post by WayneD » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:33 am

What's the fish in the little fush picture?
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10

Return to “Estuary Reports”