Another trip to Raby Bay - More dart?!

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Another trip to Raby Bay - More dart?!

#1 Post by Cubits » Wed May 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Still on the hunt for my first snapper (weird, eh?), i've been taking every opportunity to learn the local area, and so hit up Raby Bay once more. High tide was just after mid day, but the wind was down, so i could cover some big ground to feel out the terrain.

For consistency i didn't want to mess with the tools too much, so i strapped on the trusty watermelon crusteaz; the very same one from the last trip which survived a dozen striped barracuda completely intact. My last remaining double clutch, 75mm in purple suji prawn, went on the other rod for casting duty.

With the sun high and the wind moderate, the fish seemed to have retreated from the flats along my usual route. Nothing went for either lure on the way to first reef, but once there the barracuda started firing up again, hitting anything that moved throughout the water column.

A little further up where i was mapping out the edge of a dropoff the hardbody went off, and it actually pulled string! "Not a barracuda!" turned into "is a dart", as the 33cm model came to the surface followed by a few friends. Not as big as the one i caught last time, but it seems they're living on the reef in good numbers.

After returning to the mark and catching a couple more for dinner it was time to move on, mapping the dropoff edge of the reef which extended north all of the way to the red marker. The tip of the reef showed signs of life at the bottom, but my lures were only finding more barracuda. Next time the plan is to bring a heavier live-bait setup to actually put these guys to work!

Now drifting back down with the wind, along the outside edge of the reef, my casting was only finding those damned barracuda. The double clutch was looking worse for wear with teeth marks, and i retied it a couple of times to handle fraying of my 12lb leader. While tying, the other rod was smacked by something with far more headshake in it, and it looked like i'd found my first small bream of the day. Once it was near the boat however, it was obviously something different...

My first snapper, and what a beast at 15cm! Triple that and i'll be on to something edible! Still, lovely colouration on the little guy; it's neat how the blue flecks extend into the spines. After a quick snap he shot off, hopefully to be seen again in a couple of years.

Once i'd drifted down the outside of the reef, it was a quick hop across a channel to the other major structure to where i'd caught grass emperor, bream, and dart the last time. Mapping out the leading edge of the reef showed more blips on the sounder, and after a little jigging with the crusteaz a nearly-legal grassy came up!

Despite being a "brown" fish they're actually quite pretty, and a delightful change from catching countless barracuda. I've also been told they're great eating, but alas i'm yet to find out...

A little off the outside of the reef is the eastern green marker, so i thought it was worth a troll past to see if the pylon was holding anything of interest.

The birds have really done a number on this marker, and just as i was coming back past it a barracuda did a number on my remaining double clutch, snipping the leader. A 25 dollar lure fell to a 50 cent fish...

After a rummage through my lure box i settled on my traditional tuna lure, the 3.75" streakz in pearl. It has a delightfully quick jigging action which looks like a baby squid, so i figured it was worth a shot on my way back in to shore. Unfortunately it was only good for finding several more barracuda, with the little crusteaz also finally losing his floppy claws to the sharp teeth. What a trooper!

The trip ended up covering 15km and revealed a lot of interesting structures and inaccuracies with the base map. It also subjected my reels to another healthy dose of salt, to which they're proving surprisingly resilient! This sedona hasn't developed as much as a squeak after seeing everything up to and including getting dumped in the surf.

Return to “Estuary Reports”