Pumpkin Barra [with Video]

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Pumpkin Barra [with Video]

#1 Post by Ads22 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 pm

I have a busy weekend ahead, and my wife said last night, "you should go fishing tomorrow."

"Oh, ok," I said, "twist my arm!" No need to tell me twice! I looked at the wind forecasts and picked out my favourite (windfinder often seems more accurate for me) and compared with MetEye, yep, looked good. Willy and others weren't looking so kind, though. Decided on fishing a shorter stretch of Pumpkin Creek this time and spend a little time on the deep holes.
Sun up_M.jpg
I arrived at 6am with a couple of frozen poddy mullet to dangle out while fishing the deep holes and see what it might entice. The tide was just starting the run out and I worked my way slowly upstream hitting edges, dropoffs, snags and drains for a couple of little half-hearted surface hits. I finally got up to the deeper holes and started work with all sorts of lures with no luck despite plenty of action on the sounder. Eventually, on the second deep hole, I scored a little Blue Threadfin, all of 33cm, hooked through the eye on a TT blade. With no further hits and nothing on the mullet, I worked along a shaded bank and received a hit and run on the Flick Prawn, and just as quickly dropped the fish. Then another, and shortly thereafter, another. I ventured up as far as a corner where last visit I caught a nice bream on a bank where water was beginning to recede. This time, the bank was high and dry. I swung around and headed back toward the holes. As I reached the previous shady bank edge before the holes I flicked the prawn under a nice snag and was hit straight away, again dropping the culprit - suspect bream.
LittleSalmon1_M.jpg
Reaching the first of the holes on the return journey, I dangled a fillet of poddy mullet out while I flicked all sorts of lures to all areas of the creek. I even tried a micro jig after watching RocketV's video last night. I then followed the flutter theory and clipped on a gold Kamikaze Stickbait. A few casts in and I had hooked a good fish. It was fighting hard and soon I saw a fat brown tail. I thought I was onto a legal sized Barra (that would come home for dinner) the way it fought but a minute or so later I realised I had hooked it in the side, hence the good fight. I ended up netting a 54cm model that received a tag before it swam away.
PumpkinBarra_M.jpg
PumpkinBarraFront_M.jpg
I worked the next hole, then back to the Barra hole in the hopes I could find another amongst all the shadows on the sounder. I had no further luck on the Barra, but did get a nice 42cm Silver Jew on the mullet strip. Heading for home I trolled an Atomic Shad 50 (Tim's Prawn colour) and stumbled across another tiny Blue Salmon and a nice little Bream.
Jew_M.jpg
LittleSalmon2_M.jpg
PumpBream_M.jpg
I discovered that at dead low, the creek is super shallow, having to portage over a rubble patch to check out closer to the mouth before heading back to the boat ramp. The wind had swung around to the east by this stage, and the mouth was receiving some protection from the headland. For the most part, it was almost breathless and a perfect morning on the water. I packed up and headed to the blue shop to spend some vouchers then home before a work stint this evening. Unlikely to get out this weekend, but glad I got the go ahead today!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ads22 on Wed May 30, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Re: Pumpkin Barra

#2 Post by WayneD » Thu May 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Nicely done Adam. I'd be happy with a 54cm Barra right now...

I am heading to Lenthalls for a boys weekend Sat-Tues and hope to scratch my barra itch while I'm there.

Thanks for taking the time to write up the report.
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#3 Post by rocketV » Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm

bloody good mixed bag when you have jew and barra in there! :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#4 Post by Ads22 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Video added to original post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Return to “Estuary Reports”