Raby Bay: Hook, Reef, and Tailor!

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Raby Bay: Hook, Reef, and Tailor!

#1 Post by Cubits » Tue May 29, 2018 2:04 pm

I like to alter as few variables as possible when learning patterns/fish/areas, so off we trundled to Raby Bay before dawn on Saturday, armed with a fresh batch of exactly the same lures, and having to make the most of another windy day due to Sunday commitments. Consistent!

After saying hi to the same dolphins, we moved straight for the reef instead of fishing the flats first up. The hope was that the bigger fish would be bolder before it got too light.

Starting the drift, my second downwind cast hooked into a little 30cm tailor, my first of the season. While i was happy that it wasn't a barracuda, emotions quickly soured when in its struggle it flicked the front treble into the side of my index finger, before vindictively shaking as violently as it could.

Savage video of man vs lure vs fish

With a bit of swearing and a lot of force the treble did come free. I typically crush the barbs for this very reason, but of course this is the one lure i just pulled out of the packet that morning.

Having drifted off the tailor school due to time lost experimenting with body piercing, my double clutch was untouched until my crusteaz, which had been happily bouncing along the bottom, was spectacularly hammered.

This was clearly no barracuda, and after a bit of back and forth on the 8lb setup a barely legal squire/snapper was netted and onboard. The plan was starting to work, and at 36cm this little guy was a good upgrade to my PB.

After paddling back around and performing a second drift the same rod was hit again, this time by a larger specimen which ended up reefing my braid. I'm starting to think that my 1-3kg rod might be lacking the backbone to put the brakes on these fish...

With the sun and the wind well and truly up, we decided to seek shelter at the creek mouth and make the most of the run out tide there. On the way, my trolled double clutch picked up at 40cm tailor, which thankfully did not impale me.

But it did pale in comparison to what my mate hooked into!

His legal 53cm school mackerel, caught in 2m of water, was a ridiculous surprise considering we hadn't picked up a mackerel offshore for over a month and were resigned to waiting for next season. Delicious fish, i prefer them to tuna.

By this point my brand new lure was looking worse for wear, and the missing hook points resulted in a couple of solid, dropped fish, so i swapped it out for a fresh 75mm version in purple suji prawn.

When we got up into the creek the tide was considerably down, and the warm outflow was surely holding the same flatties we encountered last time.

A handful of flicks upstream netted some small males, just like last time out here. They have some great colouration when they're small!

After clearing them out it wasn't long before the 50cm female got to the lure and put in a solid effort, thrashing through the now knee deep water. But without any nearby structure my 12lb leader was more than a match, and she was easily netted.

With fun had, we steeled ourselves and began the 4km slog back to the launch point, now perfectly head-on in to a 15kn gale. But even with this inconvenience, it was a solid day on the water, and we've now pulled 13 different species up in the area in one month!

Hopefully next time its not as windy, but by now I'm fairly sure that I'm cursed...

rayjeannette
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: brisbane ,southeast QLD

Re: Raby Bay: Hook, Reef, and Tailor!

#2 Post by rayjeannette » Tue May 29, 2018 5:56 pm

love the video, and am now going down stairs to rid all hooks of barbs, for tomorrows trip to cabbage tree ck regards ray

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#3 Post by rocketV » Tue May 29, 2018 7:37 pm

good read, looks like a fun day. Would like to tangle with one of those mackerel in the shallows on light gear!
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#4 Post by Marty75 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:14 pm

Mate, if a tailor did that to me there's no way I could hold myself back from sending him out as a livie...... To teach him a lesson l :grr:

Marty

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#5 Post by Ads22 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:27 am

Ha ha, cheeky little beggar!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#6 Post by Cubits » Wed May 30, 2018 8:45 am

rocketV wrote:good read, looks like a fun day. Would like to tangle with one of those mackerel in the shallows on light gear!
Love me a mackerel, and they're clean fighters so not a problem on the light stuff.

Nuttiest fish I've hooked up out there was a double header of big cobia. One bit through on my 12lb setup and left me battling the other for almost an hour on my 6lb rig before it did the leader in.

Cheap 1000 series reel never worked again after that. :p

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#7 Post by Paulioq » Wed May 30, 2018 6:57 pm

was going to go but siked my self out with the weather report on sunday nice write up wish I went now. nice fish I think you might be fishing bit light for the area I ofton get done over on 20lb gear in that general area. some big fish end up lost in raby bay. nice pics

Return to “Estuary Reports”