Offshore and Estuary mixed bag [Video]

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Offshore and Estuary mixed bag [Video]

#1 Post by Ads22 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Doggy Mack on Micro Jig

Fishing Creek mixed bag

I headed out in search of a Mackerel on Saturday morning with another keen member of the local paddle crew. Frances has a dream to catch a Mackerel so I took her on a hunt for some. We met at Bangalee and loaded the yaks and wheeled them down to the water at sunrise. The water was calm with no waves and the sunrise was quite pretty. Once on the water we headed north in search of the Bangalee and Farnborough reefs. They are small patches and easily missed. Along the way I picked up three Grinner trolling a redhead hardbody, each no bigger than the lure. We had trouble locating the first reef on the GPS marks I had obtained, and by-passed it heading for the larger Farnborough Reef. An eerie fog had rolled in, blocking out our view of Yeppoon and the islands, but blew over as quickly as it had rolled in. While searching for the Farnborough Reef, I realised that I had the marks saved in my other sounder, on the GT that Frances was using. After a few re-checks, we found the reef and Frances got her first fish. Yep, a Grinner!
Bangalee Sunrise_M.jpg
BangaleeEerieFog_M.jpg
Grinner1_M.jpg
By now, the wind and swell had picked up and the drift was quite fast over the small reef, which went from 10m up to 4-5m. After a few casts with a Pearl Streakz, I changed to a green Storm Gomoku micro jig and first drop I was on. Biggest fish so far, and it was a Mackerel. Happily I landed it and measured, only 39cm, but it was a Mackerel. First one for the year! His mate followed him up, but refused to hop on my next cast, or the next one. Or any more! I found the school a few times, but failed to raise another. Frances was in need of a pit stop, so she headed ashore. After a while, and getting no fish other than a couple of little bait fish, I saw that Frances was still on the shore, and her husband's ute had turned up. I paddled in to see what was happening. Turns out she was having trouble getting back out with the increased swell, just enough to cause some difficulty. With the need to load that yak onto my ute, and a free ride back, I called it a day. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Frances onto a Mackerel, but there's always next time.
MackGomoku_M.jpg
Yaks loaded back onto the ute a little after 10am and only one real fish on the board, I was still keen for more. I pondered the options and elected to go to Fishing Creek top end, seeing the tide would be high there. I got there to find the tide going out - very hard to judge tide up here. Sometimes it lags by 2-3 hours, others it almost seems to precede the mouth. I know I can get back fine on dead low, and always have wheels for the sand bars if needed, so headed off anyway. Within 15 minutes I had my first fish aboard, a nice little Bream about 27cm on a Hurricane Slam 59 in Demon Suji colour. I continued making my way downstream and the Slam 59 continued to pick up the fish, bagging a few more Bream.
Bream1-2_M.jpg
Bream2-release_M.jpg
The bag became more varied, quite typical for Fishing Creek and I ended up with a good mix of fish - half a dozen Bream, 2 Flounder, 2 Trevally, and one each of Flathead, Tarpon and Estuary Cod. It was a pretty cool day in the end, despite the wind and swell altering my plans, and ended up getting off the water on dusk. Looking forward to my next Mackerel trip, and I always look forward to Fishing Creek again!
FCCod_M.jpg
FlattySelfRelease_M.jpg
FCTrev1_M.jpg
FCTarpon_M.jpg
FCFlounder2_M.jpg
Cheers and Happy Fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ads22 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Re: Offshore and Estuary mixed bag - Bangalee/Fishing Creek

#2 Post by rocketV » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:24 pm

great mixed bag as a reward for your efforts :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#3 Post by hillbilly » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 am

Nice variety of fish there. It means you’re doing something right as of always. Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#4 Post by arpie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:36 pm

WOW! Great mixed bag!!

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

#5 Post by Jamie D » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Great spread of species man and congrats on the successful capture of the target species

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Offshore and Estuary mixed bag [Video]

#6 Post by Ads22 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks guys, lots of fun getting onto different species. Hopefully the Mackerel come through a bit thicker soon! And the threadies, too!

Have added videos to the original post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Return to “Estuary Reports”