Iluka for a week

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Iluka for a week

#1 Post by rocky » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Well haven’t put many reports up lately as we have been away from the water and OS in Fiji. We are now at Iluka for a week and fished Saturday & Sunday after prospecting a new area I finally found fish on some flats, finished up with over a dozen Bream smallest 26cm and biggest 37cm this fish nearly ended up getting away after disappearing ito a rock wall with my lure, I was saying good bye to that lure when for some reason the fish came back out from the rocks into the net. After a pic and release I checked the leader and the whole length was frayed. Sunday I headed to a different spot thinking there would be fish there but no so after an hour and a half I head back across the river to the spot where I fished the day before but this time couldn’t find any Bream except for one but managed five Flathead 20cm to 48cm so kept thre bigger ones for the pan. Also missed or glad I missed a Flathead which estimated over a metre that was trying to grab one I was trying to net which was 30cm, the fish made the 30cm one look like a poddy mullet, near scared me out of the yak. Had today off as the wind was gusting at 40-50kmh and cold so went for a ferry ride over to Yamba, hope the wind drops off tomorrow and will go out for another fish.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
52D8C454-F767-41DE-9D0C-418FE09868EF.jpeg
49584FD1-3965-4100-AA3F-D6288B2D61A1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Iluka for a week

#2 Post by Ads22 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Love it Rocky! Getting into some GoPro action, too! :cool:

Just bought myself a new one just now via the e of the bay. The 6 is going at 20% off via Good Guys on the bay. With another boat vid payment coming through, made it even cheaper! :wink:

Good to see you getting into some fish mate, happy days.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

#3 Post by rocky » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks Adam, still working the camera out bloody voice activation doesn’t like the wind. :roll: I reckon you just need another vid similar to the boat one then just retire and go fishing :lol: you will have enough cameras for the capture. Thought about the 6 but the financial adviser scouled at me :grin: .
Good to see you have been getting a few fish as well but leave some for when I get back up that way next year.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#4 Post by rocketV » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Sounds like you need a large flathead shaped lure down there to get the big girls fired up! :lek:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Kareless1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Queensland Northern NSW
Kayaks: Pedalcraft 10 ft

#5 Post by Kareless1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:17 pm

You look like the southern winter was making you uncomfortable. Nice blue lips on that bream. Hopefully when my wife gets out of hospital I can get out for a bream fish. Les
Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you!
Best fish; Aust Bass 51cm, Bream 30cm, Barra 65cm, Flathead 49cm, Whiting 27cm, Trevally 35cm

Return to “Estuary Reports”