A pleasant surprise

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

A pleasant surprise

#1 Post by rocketV » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:54 pm

I headed out recently into a cool afternoon that was destined to turn into an even cooler evening.

My aim was to cast large soft plastics and drop micro jigs thru bait schools on the dusk tide change.

As I often do, I was trolling to my intended casting spot when my rod gently buckled over.

I suspected my lure had picked up a snag, and for a few moments it looked like my suspicions were correct.

Then the snag started to kick and I sat up and paid attention!

Check out my video to see how it unfolds from there :grin:

Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

Re: A pleasant surprise

#2 Post by flattyakker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Congrats on the PB and in June too :)
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie 2015 Mirage Outback with sunroof[dune]

Jewfish 1.11m & 1.08m, Flathead 97cm &96cm x 2, Bream 43cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 45cm, Whiting 43cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 65cm, calamari 35cm (hood).

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#3 Post by arpie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:48 pm

CRACKER FLATTIE, mate! Well done on your PB!!

Pontoon 21 GGs and CJs are awesome lures - and have been responsible for my own PBs too (and busted off on 1m flatties too! :beye: )

They are my 'go to' lures here in Forster/Tuncurry!

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#4 Post by Paulioq » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:00 pm

nice fish rocket good work, you trying for your own tv show or something running a full commentary just jokeing is good that you say whats going on and what your doing. looks like you need a bigger landing net lol I got the same one I think(environet with 500mm handle) so I know how big that fish is with its tail sticking out, nice. I also do a trick where I stick it over the gunnel and under my knee and let the net hang in the water with the fish in it while I sort myself out and keep the fish in the water for as long as possible(hope that makes sense). been thinking about a gopro thanks for the heads up adds on the discount but sale ends today doh and am stint at the moment after buying some new toys recently. boys don't grow up our toys just get more expensive

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#5 Post by rocketV » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Paulioq wrote:nice fish rocket good work, you trying for your own tv show or something running a full commentary just jokeing is good that you say whats going on and what your doing. looks like you need a bigger landing net lol I got the same one I think(environet with 500mm handle) so I know how big that fish is with its tail sticking out, nice. I also do a trick where I stick it over the gunnel and under my knee and let the net hang in the water with the fish in it while I sort myself out and keep the fish in the water for as long as possible(hope that makes sense). been thinking about a gopro thanks for the heads up adds on the discount but sale ends today doh and am stint at the moment after buying some new toys recently. boys don't grow up our toys just get more expensive
Hello Paulioq

My own TV show would be great! :gu:
Just need someone to pay me and I'm there.
Yep, that environet is a little small for a fish of that size...mind you it was the same net I got a 90+cm Barra in on one of my older vids, so where there is a will there is a way!
I do the same trick with net handle under knee, it is very handy.
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#6 Post by Ads22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:51 pm

Paulioq wrote:been thinking about a gopro thanks for the heads up adds on the discount but sale ends today doh and am stint at the moment after buying some new toys recently. boys don't grow up our toys just get more expensive
Don't I know it! And there's a Pinnacle yak for sale locally that I keep looking at thinking 'I wish!' Just sussing out the new camera now. Almost went with the 5, as it was almost zero out of pocket with the payment that came in (money from fishing goes back to fishing, yeah?), and would have coped fine I guess. But couldn't help myself.

Own TV show hey, Rod? rocketV becomes RockeTV?
That's a nice looking flathead mate, very cool. Looks like you need a bigger net, too! :lol:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Paulioq » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 pm

ads do it get the pinnacle then you can make off shore mackerel and tuna videos :grin: yeah so you tube pays pretty good then :?: rocket I have a very bad haiku for you

those nets are good
some times I back the fish in tail first
that flattie was to fat for that net

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#8 Post by Ads22 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:44 pm

Paulioq wrote:ads do it get the pinnacle then you can make off shore mackerel and tuna videos :grin: yeah so you tube pays pretty good then :?:
Paulioq, YT would pay better if anyone was actually really interested in my vids. The boat vid on the other hand, where someone nearly gets crushed by a speedboat, that has done okay for me - enough to pay for a new kayak, new sideview sounder and a few other bits and bobs. It certainly isn't going to become a form of genuine income other than that one video that has all but done its thing now.

One day I suspect I'll get into glass, but while I have three yaks in a limited space, and a wife that already feels like a fishing/yakking widow, it won't be for a while.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by Paulioq » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Ads22 wrote:The boat vid on the other hand, where someone nearly gets crushed by a speedboat, that has done okay for me.
who ever thought people like watching the misery of others over there virtues, will have to keep my camera pealed for kaos and mayhem then. I got some good dash cam footage of clowns on the road I wonder how that'll go on you tube I know I always get a laugh out of them.

Return to “Estuary Reports”