Fishing Creek with a newbie

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Fishing Creek with a newbie

#1 Post by Ads22 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:28 pm

I had intended to use calmer conditions to fish off Rita Mada and Tanby headlands, however, a friend indicated interest in coming along for a trip. Playing it safe with someone new to kayaks, we went for the creek (despite bigger tides, faster run) for greater ease in case of unintentional dismounts. The tide was a looonng way out at launch at Sandy Point, but with wheels handy, we wheeled our way with reasonable ease to the channel. The tide was still heading out, despite being over an hour since 'low tide'.
20180715_065620_M.jpg
Gary borrowed my GT while I paddled the Reload. It's such a cool ship the Reload, with the extra storage space and comfortable ride, but it is much tougher to turn with the extra length and the rudder in place - may be time to make some adjustments to lift the rudder when required! The Reload is also a little more damp in the seat than the GT. This larger turning circle makes turning to re-adjust for casts harder, although tracks much better when travelling into the current. With the run pushing back in hard, it made it tough, as usual here, to focus on snags and edges without anchoring up, so I spent a good chunk of the day trolling up edges and across the flats.

It was quiet early, which was disappointing as a start, since I was hoping to get some big flatties after my last trip. Eventually at a creek mouth at the second large hole and mangrove bank I found a tiny Trevally and the Ecogear ZX35. Gary had already had a few hits, including being bricked earlier on, but this was my first. Moving further up the creek I finally came across something with a little more go when I was hit trolling across a flat, a nice bream coming aboard. Moments later further up the same flat I scored another bream of similar size, then within a few paddle strokes hooked up again before losing the fish.
Trev1_M.jpg
Bream1_M.jpg
Bream2_M.jpg
Continuing on this pattern, I was keen to cast and troll at the bank where previously I had landed a 56 and 54cm flatty. I cast around this area for a bit with no interest, and having come across Gary who had taken a narrow back creek and scored a few small bream we headed across the next flat. I had done another little pass on the previous flat and just met up with him again when his rod was hit as we sat talking. This time it was a more sizable bream for him and I managed to net it for him. The day was getting on by now, so I headed back and trolled the channel I was keen to look at, picking up a Bream within a few paddle strokes on the first corner, then shortly thereafter a small flatty. Finally I had found them, albeit very small.
GaryBream_M.jpg
Flatty1_M.jpg
On the next pass I picked up another small flatty and a couple of Bream also came aboard over the next little while. It was getting close to time to head back toward the car when I was hit doing another run upstream coming off a flat and finally found a legal Flathead going 44cm (after having spooked a couple of reasonable sized models on the flat). This one busted the rear set of trebles from the lure and I was thankful the others had held.
Flatty2Release_M.jpg
Bream3_M.jpg
Bream4_M.jpg
Bream5_M.jpg
Flatty3-2_M.jpg
Heading back downstream, I was surprised to not pick up another fish trolling to the last hole, but came up with a small Flounder shortly after arriving there. Finally changing to a plastic, the camera battery died as I cast into a snag and, sure enough, I was hit. Out came a feisty little GT. Replacing the battery, a few casts later I found another little GT in the same section on the ZMan minnow.
Flounder_M.jpg
Trev3_M.jpg
ArselessAtomicShad_M.jpg
I tried a variety of lures across the day, but the ones that caught fish were the Atomic Shad 50 in Ghost Pearl Tiger and Tim's Prawn, Atomic Shiner 60 in Muddy Prawn, 3" Z-Man Diezel Minnow in Green Lantern and the Ecogear ZX35 in Dark Knight.

It was great to see Gary out there, a very experienced fisherman, and to see him get into a few fish in the kayak (only Bream for him today) and get a taste for it. It was a long day in the saddle for him but the Profish GT certainly was up to the task. It was a long walk back to the car, past all the crazies in their 4wd ripping up the sand on the point and discussing who did the best sand skids, but the Railblaza C-Tug proved their usefulness handling the sand and ruts quite well.

The legal flatty came home for dinner, cooked on the brazier.
20180715_193826_M.jpg
20180715_194058_S.jpg
Thanks Gary for the company, I look forward to doing it again some time soon!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Re: Fishing Creek with a newbie

#2 Post by rocketV » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 pm

great report Ads!
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#3 Post by Leper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Another sensational report with a great mixed bag! Thanks again for the write-up!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

#4 Post by Brendon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Nice. I have not fished estuary for 12 months now but with the Giant herring only several weeks away now in the Swan I looking forward to it.

thanks for Sharing!

Brendon
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#5 Post by arpie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 pm

YAY! Great session, Ads! Quite a range of fish landed too!! Still a 'tad cold' down here ........ but it IS heading towards Spring!!!! :lek:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Return to “Estuary Reports”