A very windy play at the Causeway and a new critter

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

A very windy play at the Causeway and a new critter

#1 Post by Ads22 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:36 am

It had been over a week since my last paddle and I was itchy! I couldn't decide on where to go with the wind forecasts being inconsistent. Expected northerlies meant that Fishing Creek would be tough to paddle, so I decided to go to the Causeway to try some swimbait in an area I was keen on, at least for a while. The wind direction was as forecast, but rapidly picked up and exceeded all forecasts, eventually topping 40km/h later in the day.

I was on the water before sunrise and was onto my first fish in 5 minutes. Trolling a typical pattern across the flats before heading towards the southern creek junction, I hooked onto a nice flathead that went 56cm. Being so early in the day, it received a tag and was released.
Flatty560_M.jpg
I then bumped into Nathan and Trent briefly, they were headed up the northern creek. I turned and trolled back and around the point, then worked down to the southern creek junction trolling most of the way. As I rounded the rocky point, I hooked a small fish on the Atomic Shad 50 that hit hard but didn't have much fight. A small Grunter came aboard and was released. I continued on and coming close to my first planned swimbait area, I hooked up again, this time to a little Bream, also on the Shad 50. A few minutes later casting to the mangroves I landed a small flatty on the Shad 50.
LilGrunt_M.jpg
Bream1_M.jpg
Flatty260_M.jpg
I then set to work with the swimbait. I worked over the creek junction, using the stake out pole on the flat and sheltering from the wind, casting into the deeper channel and slowly working the 4.5" LiveTarget Blueback Herring in Green/Bronze. I shifted places a few times and fanned casts but couldn't raise a touch, so threw on a 6" version in the hope this might find something. This is the area that I have hooked a 70cm+ flatty and a few Barra, also landing a metre plus Barra, so I was hoping I might get lucky. It was to no avail, as I cast around for almost 2 hours without a touch.

With the wind up and keen to find a fish, I explored the creek running back east from this junction almost to its end, mapping it on the sounder as I went. I travelled up here further than I had previously been and schools of small mullet everywhere. It runs about 1m deep most of the way. I hooked up to another Bream up here on the Atomic Shiner 60 in a prawn colour, then soon after picked up a 38cm Flatty on the Shad 50.
Bream2Atomic_M.jpg
Flatty385_M.jpg
I headed back to the junction and trolled the channel once in the hope of something big and tasty jumping on, to no avail. I came across young yakker Ben, who was pretty happy to have landed a 23cm Jack up in the mangroves on 4lb, a top effort given the wind! Trolling back along the channel and heading back toward the main body of the lake, I hooked another Bream on the Shad 50.
Bream3_M.jpg
I trolled to a slightly less windy section of mangrove and cast for a while without any love, so continued toward the main lake body. As I rounded a rocky point, I picked up another Bream, this time on the pink Micro Mullet.
Bream4Micro_M.jpg
I trolled through the chop in the channel that leads to the bridge and found some big arches but couldn't raise any of them. I worked this area a few times, then headed toward the back of the northern arm, looking for some shelter and to explore the northern creek. As I got to the start of the creek I scored another Bream on the pink Micro Mullet. I continued to the end of the creek, again finding stacks of small mullet, then back again, this time casting a plastic. Other than a few taps under the overhanging trees, there was little action.
Bream5Micro_M.jpg
I got back to the lake proper and trolled the flat and the main channel, coming across a cool little critter on the Slam 59. This was my first of this species, I think it might be a Fringe-Eyed Flathead. They look pretty cool! Then I hooked what I suspected was a ray, fighting it for about a minute before the hooks pulled.
20180908_132347_M.jpg
20180908_132406_M.jpg
20180908_132424_M.jpg
20180908_222958_S.jpg
On my last pass coming back out of the channel I picked up a little cod, before one last troll over my favourite path and back to the ute. As I came back past the boat hire place, I hooked another little Flatty that I promptly released, then a minute or two later another Bream, both on the Micro Mullet.

I had set out with the hope of catching something on the swimbait, but conditions made fishing this style very tough, so I abandoned that plan and went off to explore the creeks and try to find a fish along the way. It was near impossible to get more than one cast at an area at a time short of anchoring up or paddling back, so I spent much of the time trolling. I still managed to come across some fish and all up, paddled approximately 20km in wind that exceeded 40km/h at times. As I left the lake, I did a breath test. While waiting for the unit to refresh, the officer stated 'you look shagged!' That's about how I felt! But, I had scored a few fish at least, even if the best one was five minutes into the trip!

The wind doesn't look like letting up in the next week, so I might have to get creative finding somewhere to fish!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

SpiritFisha
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg
Kayaks: Spirit CTR

Re: A very windy play at the Causeway and a new critter

#2 Post by SpiritFisha » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Amazing fish that Fringe Eyed Flathead. Looks like an alien to me... Never seen one before. Those eyes are crazy, looks like something growing over it.
Spirit CRT
If I'm not fishing, I'm thinking about it....

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#3 Post by rocketV » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Great report. love the close up of the flathead's eye!
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#4 Post by arpie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:27 pm

WOW!! That is one funny looking flattie!! Never even HEARD of a Fringe Eyed Flattie before! Great pics! LOVE the eye shot!! Have you put them on FB? You could tag Starlo?

The wind is SUCH a pain, eh? Been really windy down here too. At least we had a bit of decent rain last week ... we've not really had any since April.

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#5 Post by Ads22 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 pm

SpiritFisha wrote:Amazing fish that Fringe Eyed Flathead. Looks like an alien to me... Never seen one before. Those eyes are crazy, looks like something growing over it.
'Is this safe to touch?' was my first thought. There are stone fish in there, too, and this thing seemed extra spiky with its spines up!
rocketV wrote:Great report. love the close up of the flathead's eye!
So cool, right!?! That is the beauty of a Samsung S8 or the likes. Great photos and the ability to focus so quickly. This eye by itself is just a cropped portion of the first photo of the fish! Pretty handy camera on it!
arpie wrote:WOW!! That is one funny looking flattie!! Never even HEARD of a Fringe Eyed Flattie before! Great pics! LOVE the eye shot!! Have you put them on FB? You could tag Starlo?

The wind is SUCH a pain, eh? Been really windy down here too. At least we had a bit of decent rain last week ... we've not really had any since April.

cheers

Roberta
Rain is hard when you want to fish, but typically so good for the system as a whole, eventually!

A very cool looking flathead. There were a few caught over the weekend judging by the Yak Hunters Qld FB page.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Pollycraft
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Armidale, New England and Coffs
Kayaks: Adventure Island

#6 Post by Pollycraft » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 pm

A nice surprise. Cool little flathead.
Cheers,
Brad

Return to “Estuary Reports”