Hard work pay off - doughnuts and Barra

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Hard work pay off - doughnuts and Barra

#1 Post by Ads22 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:44 pm

This week in fishing was a tough one! I started with a trip with local yakker Nathan to Pumpkin Creek. The tides weren't really what I'd have liked, but I was keen to fish and hadn't fished there for a while. I haven't had any stellar sessions there but have scored a couple of Barra in the past. We launched at first light and fished hard and pushed up close to the end of the creek on the rising tide. I suspect it fishes best on the run out, and perhaps would be optimum on a neap tide. Unfortunately, the low wasn't due until mid-afternoon and Nathan was due off the water before midday.

I had reeled in one mudcrab on a soft plastic and ended up landing one leg only from a buck that sunk to the depths shortly after dropping its leg. Other than that I hadn't received a touch until the tide was running out hard, at which point I received repeated hits and watched a fish follow the lure back to the kayak. Eventually, Nathan landed a Bream and on the way back to the ramp he landed a Pike. I stayed on the doughnut and decided to call it a day for the salt. On the way home, I headed back to the fresh at the Woolwash and found the going just as tough. Over a couple of hours I could entice only a few little hits from suspected Tarpon.

With school holidays in force, I made the most of Wednesday morning to try for a surface session at Causeway Lake. Conditions were amazing and still and I was hoping for redemption after my poor doughnut sessions on Sunday. Arriving at the lake, I realised that I had left my intended lures for the morning at home, after distraction from the family while packing up the previous night. Resorting to the back up lures, I had a good hit on the Ziggy SD as I walked and paused the lure past a rock. The hooks failed to stick and I was left aching at the missed opportunity to feel a fish on the line. I kept working the point over as the slight breeze dropped out completely to a glass out. I decided to head toward the back, in line with my initial plan and try and find some feeding fish. Just as I was heading off I landed a tiny Moses Perch.

As I pulled up at a section that provided a previous good bite, my trolled Atomic Shad 50 went off. A good run with some surface splashing made me think I was onto a Tarpon or Giant Herring. As I engaged in the fight, I felt more weight than I had expected and was thankful that the fish was on my heavier spin setup. Still, I worked gently as the hooks were small and I managed to land a nice little Barra. I was even happier to find it was legal size, so it went into the bag for dinner.

CauseBarra60-2_L.jpg
CauseBarraAtomicSelf-1_L.jpg
CauseBarra60Self-2_L.jpg

I fished on with surface for a while and got a good hit form a small cod that I took for a Jack at first with a hard dive for the snag. I also managed a small Bream before heading to the creeks. I was unable to find any more fish for the day, but enjoyed the dead calm conditions while I could. This weekend the wind is ridiculous and with a long stint on call over Easter, it may be my last chance on the water for a little while.

Dinner was very much enjoyed by all, with a nice Cripsy Skin pan fried Barra fillet (partially baked with foil over the pan) and chips with salad. Last night it was a green Barra curry with home made curry paste.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Re: Hard work pay off - doughnuts and Barra

#2 Post by rocky » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:06 am

Nice work Adam it pays to be patient also that meals made my mouth water😊. Will be in the van park at The Causeway on 24-25th, hoping to get out after the daw service in Anzac Day.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#3 Post by Ads22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm probably tied up Anzac Day morning at least with march, etc. 24th I may manage, or 25th arvo. See how the wind goes, too. Festival of the wind at Emu Park was on the weekend and it blew its ring off.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

#4 Post by rocky » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm

Ads22 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 pm
I'm probably tied up Anzac Day morning at least with march, etc. 24th I may manage, or 25th arvo. See how the wind goes, too. Festival of the wind at Emu Park was on the weekend and it blew its ring off.
Guess the wind got invited to the festival 😁🌬.
I won’t be going out until maybe mid morning as going to dawn service at Emu Park.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#5 Post by Ads22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 pm

rocky wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm
Guess the wind got invited to the festival 😁🌬.
I won’t be going out until maybe mid morning as going to dawn service at Emu Park.
Will see how I go, hopefully come down for a bit. Emu Park service is supposed to be a really good service. A beautiful spot for a sunrise, too!
Yak PBs

Return to “Estuary Reports”