burrinjuck dam

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.

burrinjuck dam

Postby coattail rider » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Decided last wednesday night on a spur of the moment camping trip up to burrinjuck. Found a campsite on google, packed up the car thursday morning and drove 3 hours inland. Arrived and set up and since it was still pretty hot thought id just relax for an hour or two before hitting the lake. Launched at around 4pm and said hello to the group of 3 Greek guys who were fishing with what seemed 11 rods from the bank. They all gave me dirty looks and I heard the word "malaka" - im no language wizard but i know what that means...no matter.. I was off and started trolling the bank until i came up to two random bits of timber - the only structure for several hundred metres in either direction. Trolled a big deep diver back and forth around the trees for about twenty mins with no luck so decided to drift and cast at them. At the end of the first cast i felt a gentle tap but I wasnt quite sure if it was a fish or the leader not hitting the first guide. Second cast and just as i was about to lift it out of the water there was a bigger slap that was clearly something with fins. Third cast and halfway through the retrieve i was hit soldily and after a breif fight on the heavy cod gear i was pleased to have a nice 43cm golden in the yak.

decided to push on and troll the steep banks... everything was nice..not a hint of breeze..then all of a sudden there was a lot of breeze...so i turned around and headed back to camp - wind blowing directly in my face. What should have taken 15-20 mins took closer to an hour and there were times when it felt like i was pedaling in place.

After much struggling i paddled back past the greeks who had a good laugh at my expense..they didnt laugh so much when after coming ashore and asking if theyd gotten and fish and finding out the hadnt i showed them a photo of mine..
I had planned to fish into the night but the wind set inso i busied myself catching carp on corn from the bank, which i gave to the greeks as they were keeping the carp they caught too.

Got up just on sunrise and after a quick feed was on the water again..trolling a smaller lure in the hope for more yellas.. hit the same spot again on the troll for nothing

then came back on the drift and got nailed first cast by a nice little yella..as he got to the side of the yak i saw his mate come up alongside, and much to my surprise i netted them both..the hooked fish 36cm and the bigger one 42cm..all rather unexpected..
Three casts later I had another 37cm fish in the yak

i headed off on the troll along the bank trolling deep divers with no luck for about 3 hours then headed across to some timber on the other side of the lake

threw a bunch of spinnerbaits and hardbodies at every possible tree with not even a touch. I was a bit bummed out by the amount of carp i saw..sometimes coming right up to the side of the yak. I saw one kind of follow a big swimbait so next time one went past i dropped a rattling lure in front of it..jigged it a hlaf dozen times and the carp turned around and grabbed it.. wtf...
soon had a carp of just over 50cm in the yak..slimy smelly thing. And just to prove it was no fluke 20 mins later i did the exact same thing with a similar sized guy. Decided to head back to camp and have a bit of a sleep and pull a long afternoon/evening session

I hit the water again around 4..was going to go earlier but the amount of jetskis/wake boats/ski boats was a bit much so i waited a bit till it died down...headed back to where id been getting the yellas

decided to jig the standing timber and got a few follows but no hits until i started slow rolling the lure..had a fish get off at the side of the yak and a few softer hits..so switched to a chatterbait and was rewarded second cast with a 42cm fish that took me into the sunken trees and needed some manouvering to get out out

and followed it up two casts later with a fish that might have been its twin

decided to try trolling super deep cod lures along the cliffs for a bit to see if i could find a cod but no luck

so i headed towards the timber to fish some surface lures as the sun went down

Threw a wake bait about and had a couple of half hearted hits which lifted my spirits..must be cod here afterall.. fished until just after 10pm and trolled back to camp in the dark

Got up at 430 the next morning and decided to head right for the timber on the other side of the dam this time

The ski boasts started early with the first ones ripping around at 6:30...not ideal...

fished surface lures until about 8 when i switched to spinnerbaits and hardbodies working every bit of timber i could find..with just one solid bump to show for it..very bummed out since it was getting near time to pull the pin...so i trolled around for a while and then headed back to camp, avoiding all the lunatics as best i could..and once i got back to camp i discovered my quiet little camp site inundated with parked ski boats and people with screaming kids and stereos.. oh well... good thing im going..

Get back to the car to discover that id been parked in - not just that but parked in so close i could barely open my tailgate. I could feel the angry vein in my forehead start to pulse... it got worse when i looked around and saw tables and chairs and eskies set up in front of my car door and within 2 feet OF MY TENT.. at this point some pastel shorted bogan walked up with an annoyed look and says "did i park you in"..to which my reply (before i could stop myself) was "yes....you f*****g did, you knob"... and I walked back down to the bank.... stopped there and thought for a moment...dont need to be back for another day...got food..got water...know where the cod are now... sod it im going to stay another night. .. So i went back to my tent..pulled up a chair and sat and had something to eat... I ate while i watched one group of idiots tow skiers very close to the bank before stopping..with the skiiers letting go and gliding in to the bank .. a couple of times i watched this thinking someones going to get hurt... sure enough a little later mr bogan is towing is girlfriend around on a kneeboard.. I lookup and think...hes coming in way quicker this time..this is going to be close..then heard people next to me start to shout ... "shes not gonna make it" "oh shit" and one woman actually screamed... sure enough kneeboard lady slammed into the bank with a sound a bit like slapping a ham at pretty solid speed...accompanied by moaning. I honestly thought she was dying..but it turns out she ended up with the worst case of gravel rash id seen, plus other cuts and bruises.. oh well.. after that I took a nap...

got up and decided to troll past the yella spot on the way to the timber again

Had only just clicked the reel into gear when my lure got smashed ...had hopes of a big yella or small cod but instead...a dirty carp

kept trolling and something on the bank caught my eye..A screaming peewee was hanging upside down caught up in fishing line on the bottom of a windmill. I couldnt find a good place to land but in the end decided id just have to risk it and put in along some rocks..dragged the yak up the bank enough to not get washed away by ski boat wakes, Heard a bit of a crak as i did but ignored it...couldnt leave that bird in the heat handing upside down.. ran up and cut it free and wathcing it flap away.. 1 karma point. ran back to the yak and got back in the water...turned to face some swell from a wake boat and discovered that my rudder didnt work..looked behind me to see that it was hanging off the yak only held by its lines... managed to get to a better spot to beach and discovered the rudder pin had shorn off both at the top and bottom. Fortunately when i bought the yak years ago thered been a spare pin in the rear hatch which id left there...and after a tense few minutes bashing out the old one i was back in the game...

trolled again up until it got dark, heading off to wear i thought the cod would be in the timber

had one massive hit and lots of small ones where the fish seemed to almost push the topwater out of the way but no hookups..but was quite enjoying watching things come down to the waters edge for a drink - roos, a wombat, various birds... soon i picked up an awful smell then I saw something strange in the dying light... at first i thought it was a dingo..until i saw the tail.. long and thin and kangaroo like. I watched this thing lope along, then sit and watch me, then trott away....I managed to get a photo but you really cant see anything..and my video camera died just as i was watching it (too far away to see it anyway). Now ive seen hundreds of dingos, dogs, and foxes..and im positive it wasnt any of these.. youre going to think im crazy but the thing that best approximated it in shape and looks to an animal thats been gone from Mainland Australia for over 1000 years...make of this what you will

fished well into the night with only a few missed strikes..getting back to camp at 11:30pm. the good news was the boats and others had all gone..so i took a power nap and was up again at 4 and straight back to the timber for what was really my last throw of the dice...immediately things looked better.. with loud surface boofs all about and a couple of small hits.... Then I cast my jackall pompadour out towards some timber and watched as a fish come from the left , swimming a good 15 feet pushing a bow wave ahead of it come over and smash my lure..and hook up.. yes ! COD!...NO!.. CARP !@*#$! .. a big fat 57cm carp had smashed my lure .. unbelivable.... not happy..

after this i headed over to a stand of trees flicked a small lure out hoping for a yella or maybe even a redfin... however i ended up with 3 carp in 15 minutes... decided to throw a surface lure and it got smacked all the way back to the yak, until it finally hooked up and i ended up with a feisty redfin..

at that point i pulled up stumps and trolled back to camp before packing up and heading home

quite an eventful few days

Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 63cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 55cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 41cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm, Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)
coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

Re: burrinjuck dam

Postby Raggyted » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Nice report, lots of good photos ... Sounds like some enjoyable sessions... Thanks for sharing..
PB from the yak....Toga 82cm, Bass 47cm, Barra 102cm, Yella 38cm, spangle 26cm
Raggyted
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Central west.....
Kayaks: Espri and old town....

Postby rocketV » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:09 pm

Great report! Love the description of the knee boarding accident :)
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Postby PA Pete » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:56 pm

Coat what a great report, pity about the boofheads but they are like cockroaches there everywhere. your pic's and vid's are awesome thanks for sharing. :wink:
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm
PA Pete
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

Postby arpie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 am

WOW! Must put that on my 'to do' list!! Great report & fantastic pics! LOVE the double netting! LOL

Shame about the dorks on jetskis etc - let alone mr bogan parking you in! Bloody lucky he didn't kill his girlfriend :roll:

ooooh .... prehistoric animal ..... can you enhance the pics you DID manage to get??

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby coattail rider » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 am

arpie wrote:WOW! Must put that on my 'to do' list!! Great report & fantastic pics! LOVE the double netting! LOL

Shame about the dorks on jetskis etc - let alone mr bogan parking you in! Bloody lucky he didn't kill his girlfriend :roll:

ooooh .... prehistoric animal ..... can you enhance the pics you DID manage to get??

Roberta

yeah...one of them shows a vaguely dog shaped blur!!!
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 63cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 55cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 41cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm, Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)
coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby lantana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Nice report Coat, you did some hard yards but came up with rewards, you never let boofhead campers spoil your fishing trip and you showed more self control then i would have, thanks for taking time to post report.
i will be off water yet again, come a buster off step ladder gashing my leg and cracking my tailbone :roll:
Lantana.
lantana
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby coattail rider » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 am

lantana wrote: i will be off water yet again, come a buster off step ladder gashing my leg and cracking my tailbone :roll:

you arent having much luck
Kayak PBs

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby arpie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 pm

....come a buster off step ladder gashing my leg and cracking my tailbone....

DOUBLE bummer!! I know what the cracked tailbone feels like! :cry: Take things easy, Eric! The pain in the 'A.se' WILL eventually go ... but just takes TIME! :?:

....yeah...one of them shows a vaguely dog shaped blur!!!....

Shame!! 'Like a Kangaroo tail' ....... who knows ..... you could be right!! A thylacine/Tassie Tiger was supposedly seen in Adelaide in 2015/16 (with a very dodgy looking video 'showing it' ...)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-08/c ... ls/7823212

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Fletch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:39 am

Great report Coats, burrinjuck is one of my favorite impoundments but I stay away at this time of the year for the reasons you witnessed. I have only fished the area you were once while on the way down to Mulwala in December and couldn't get a bend in the rod. You did well on the yellas, we'll done.
Fletch
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 34.5cm, Bonito 44cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm..... Watch ths space.

Member of the South Coast Kayak Fisho's and Wollongong Sportfishing Club.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty". Sir Winston Churchill, (1874-1965)
Fletch
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Hobie Revo and Viking Nemo

Postby Grimbo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Wow! What a great report, the videos were great as well!
Netting two yellas in one go was a sight to behold. I can't believe the amount of carp on lures. I've only managed one carp on lure and that was foul hooked in the cheek on a blade.

You might have missed out on the cod but it was certainly an eventful trip, and I reckon saving the Pee wee was worth at least 5 karma points.

I've never been down to Burrinjuck even though it's not far away. But after reading your report, I might just have to venture down there. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Cheers
Yak PB's
75cm Carp, 75-80cm Murray Cod, 48cm Yella, 38cm FL Redfin, 31cm FL Bass, 52cm Flathead, 41cm Bream
Grimbo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra, South Coast
Kayaks: Mad River Adventure 14, 2014 Hobie Outback

Postby mouse » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:25 am

What an adventure! :cool:
Awesome report, vid and pics CT.
Landing Mrs Golden and her old man was incredible, I have never seen anyone land both before.

Unfortunately there are oxygen thieves that spoil it for everyone :beye:

Well done on the rescue too, one less swoop from big brother next season :grin:
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Return to Freshwater Reports