Hinze Dam fishing with the boys!

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.

Hinze Dam fishing with the boys!

Postby jumaji » Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Decided to give Hinze Dam a bit of a touch today with a few of the guys. Surprised at how many could make it. Ended up a top morning with 7 kayaks [Dodge,Yorkie2, Kareless,Gary,Rob Peter and myself] and a tinny for 2 [Gary and Brooksie.]. At on stage we were all over the place just within sight of each other ,then we gravitated to a relatively small area where lots of jocularity ensured, not a lot of it complimentary! All of it happened amongst the trees and plenty of fish were taken and released. The water is still quite murky but the Bass are really clean and bright. A couple of us did have some drama with both Garys being hit by falling tree branches luckilly with only a little blood being spilled. It could have been a lot worse! The weather was kind to us with no wind and nice sunshine. We were off the water about lunchtime when Gary,Rob and Peter headed off to Mudgeeraba for Kebabs and coffee. What a way to end the session! :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

jumaji
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Malibu Stealth 9

Re: Hinze Dam fishing with the boys!

Postby Mackayak » Thu May 18, 2017 7:51 am

dose look a interesting spot with some nice weather :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 31.5cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 32cm;
Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

Postby Dodge » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 am

Yes an enjoyable outing on murky water, although fish were challenging to find

The few bass I caught were all rats and came straight from their school house, all returned to fatten up for next summer perhaps, didn't have any decent fish alongside today.
DSCF1067.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Postby Fleetfeet » Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Looks awesome guys
Fleetfeet
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast Qld
Kayaks: Spirit Venus, Hobie Pro Angler 12

Postby rayke1938 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:46 pm

been a bit tough there since the rise in water level. the fish have been scattered and close into the bank. have been prudent and wearing our skidlids as some of the branches are quite large,would not advise going there on your own ifyou fish the trees.
cheers
ray
rayke1938
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: redland bay

Postby mAx » Fri May 19, 2017 7:43 am

I've only been to Hinze twice and fished the trees on both occasions, however no falling branches were seen or heard at all, but from this post I'm thinking it is quite common? And by skid lids do you mean a helmet? I might re-think going by myself in the future
Inhale - Exhale
mAx
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: Australis Bass, Ibosa Sea Eagle

Postby Dodge » Fri May 19, 2017 8:52 am

mAx wrote:, however no falling branches were seen or heard at all, e

mAx when entering the trees be aware of the overhead structure, sheets of loose bark, broken branches, leaning trees etc are the most likely to drop, bark when it is soaked with rain will sometimes drop off the trunk, and wind overhead can shake trees and cause drops.

Exercise commonsense and be aware of the surroundings and you should be OK mate, and some do wear helmets as added protection.

If in doubt at any time, just relocate to another area as there is no shortage of dead timber there.
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby Zimbaboon » Sat May 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi guys. Looks like you had a good day. Think I saw you guys returning about lunch time. This was my first time out there and I scored a donut but hey got to start somewhere. Any tips on areas would be good please.
Zimbaboon
KFDU Angler

Postby Dodge » Sat May 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Zimbaboon wrote: Think I saw you guys returning about lunch time.

Any tips on areas would be good please.

Often there east ramp midweek, just introduce yourself to other yakkers you might meet and mention KFDU or GCNRClub.

No special spots just work along the banks and hope you can find a school of fish somewhere, keep on the move.
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby Zimbaboon » Mon May 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks Dodge will do mate. Will mainly be there on weekends unless an rdo is taken.Did a lot of bass fishing growing up in Zimbabwe but assume the concept will be the same here hey? Had good success there on surface in summer and live bait and Mann's jelly worms during the winter.
Zimbaboon
KFDU Angler

Postby Mootly53 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Haven't seen you boys for a while now , you look like you have beefed up a bit Dodge :lol: , finished chemo and radiation now and i am having the stints changed on friday , hopefully catch up with you soon for a mid week fish now i am officially retired , haven't had the yak out for over 6 months and it's killing me :grin: hope to see you boys soon
Wild Bass 45cm , Dam Bass 45cm , Silver Perch 50cm , Yellow Belly 50cm , Eel tail Catfish 60cm , Bream 35cm , Flathead 64cm , Telapia 40cm , Sooty Grunter 38cm , Tarpon 50cm Golden trevali 50cm
Mootly53
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Queensland , Far Nth Coast N.S.W. , Australia
Kayaks: Riot Quest , Dragon Hunter

Postby Dodge » Mon May 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Mootly53 wrote: you look like you have beefed up a bit Dodge ........................

hope to see you boys soon

Graeme like my pudding and it sticks ....... sometime PM your email address and I will get in touch for a catch up again.

Good news on your health front as well mate.
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Postby rayke1938 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Yes we hear construction type hard hatsI
have only been there twice since the rise as NPD has been fishing gangbusters and I have found it hard at hinze in the dirty water, Must be too much bait for the bass there as the shrimp traps are full. Rick has been there a few times since I have been laid up and also found it hard mainly finding isloated fish in around 10 to 12 feet close to the bank. Hope the dam stops spilling soon as it is getting close to spawning season and a whole lot more fish will attempt to go downstream.
Cheers
Ray
rayke1938
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: redland bay

Return to Freshwater Reports