Recon in the Mighty Clarence

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.

Recon in the Mighty Clarence

Postby Leper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:58 pm

After spending some time down at Yamba on a family camping holiday I managed to arrange a very small window where I could quickly drive down to Grafton and chase some bass in the Mighty Clarence. Initially I had planned to fish a small creek that I had scoped out on Google Maps that looked the goods and had easy access. However when I arrived at the launch I found the water was very dirty and covered in leaf debris from the high winds and a recent storm cell that had passed through the area.

6A97DCD1-5014-426B-9806-3DC437F40C51.jpeg

I decided to launch anyway and the creek looked awesome. There was timber absolutely everywhere and I was unsure how I was going to handle any reasonable bass that hit my lure. However after an hour of casting I only managed to entice a single hit from a small bass and with my confidence down I decided to head to more familiar territory. I did however manage to find this amazing carpet snake with one of the most unusual colourations I have ever seen.

27A8E681-9015-4F86-9FED-98DBC31A70AB.jpeg

So I quickly exited and packed up the minimal gear I was carrying and headed to a new launch I had not been too in 10 years. The spot had very easy access and it meant that the spot most likely coped a lot of pressure from locals but when you only have a couple of hours to fish the simpler the better.

Arriving at the launch there were a couple of free campers having their breakfast and I imagined the bass might have been hit pretty hard over the last few days. That said the Clarence looked absolutely amazing and I was drawn to it like a moth to a light, regardless of the potential for a donut I could not go anywhere else.

8CF7F76B-4160-43CD-8AC4-F8103CBC244C.jpeg

The pool immediately opposite the launch was covered in leaf debris and so I decided a fats paddle to the lower pool was a better option and so off I went. The bank I decided to fish was long and completely shaded by an immense cliff face that sheltered it from both the wind and sun. As a result the water was absolutely still and green and the sound of my Sammy 65 hitting the water sounded like a brick when it hit the surface.

DF00A21F-276D-48A4-97B1-76125A5A18A1.jpeg

It wasn't long before a cast adjacent a fallen boulder was hit softly and I was finally onto my first Clarence bass. That said it was the smallest bass I had caught this season but also ticked off a successful foray into new territory. After a quick photo and release I sent a few more casts into the same area. On one of the casts a monster Clarence bass absolutely smashed my lure and missed never to return which was a little devastating. This was then the pattern for most of the morning with bass having a single crack, missing the lure and shying away which was very frustrating.

F9192C50-65D6-4FEB-B6BA-69D84E61E9C0.jpeg

Thankfully at least one stayed connected and it just happened to be a solid fish. I had retrieved the Sammy a long way from the rock face I was casting at when she hit the lure hard. The great thing about fishing these sorts of structures where the rocks are sitting in deep water is that the bass are relatively easy to extract and battle in open water. So after a few solid runs in safe territory I finally managed to net a solid 42cmFL bass. It was a great reward for minimal effort to be honest.

D37C89AA-1AFE-45C0-9D5D-D41DDD4114A6.jpeg

873AA097-8671-4D02-8A1E-60BC5676AA59.jpeg

4E982D4D-5BF7-42E8-937B-838F20F8D82C.jpeg

3312ED5C-C9DF-47BA-870A-B00B7C034D87.jpeg

I continued fishing for another hour but the bass just weren't sticking. I must have had a minimum of 15 hits for 2 fish which is probably my worst conversion rate in a long time. I just assume that the colder waters has them not quite switched on to surface mode as up north they are now actively chasing lures. At least the carpet pythons are now very active as i also spotted mother at this location hunting bank-side.

6E825EA0-3B1C-48B9-B986-4454D8470418.jpeg

As the sun rose higher in the sky and the shadows disappeared the temperature rose rapidly. The wind also picked up and my perfect water surface was roughed up so I knew it was time to depart. My return deadline was rapidly approaching and so I quickly exited and hit the road. On the trip home I decided that the 4 hour drive was potentially well worth the effort and so I vowed to do a weekender here after the first rains arrived. Watch this space!

365147B2-0A69-4EDD-82BF-F00EAD686BA2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Re: Recon in the Mighty Clarence

Postby dinodadog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 am

Its good to just get out and about, a few bass is a bargain, better than being glued to the TV

Dino
Fish while you can.
Dinodadog
I am not a bass addict but I am very fond of them
dinodadog
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: brisbane
Kayaks: Fish bandit +hobie outback

Postby Mackayak » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 am

Great report. The Clarence is a great spot have had some good trips there and looking forward to more. Need to start planing :?: :glad: :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 31.5cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 32cm;
Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

Postby Pollycraft » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 am

A great river to explore and nice report. Hoping the recent rains up this way make it into the bass rivers :) fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Brad
Pollycraft
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Armidale, New England and Coffs
Kayaks: Adventure Island

Postby arpie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Nice snakes!! :re:

Glad you found some of the targeted species! :wink:

I hope to find some at Lake St Clair this weekend! Found a HEAP of lures I'd forgotten about already! :lek:

cheerio

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby pazz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Great report Brad,
I am waiting very impatiently for November 1st when the closure of the Nymboida / Mann rivers is over.
Also keen to get up into the Clarence Gorge country next month.
To many plans - not enough time... This having to work business interferes with the important things in life.
Cheers
Steve
pazz
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour / Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 105, 2015 Revo 13

Postby pdfarrell » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Nice report.
Got me all keen to get onto a few more Bass!

You can keep your snakes though!

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby StevenM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Let’s talk when the rains come

Logan and Albert Fish Management Association
http://www.facebook.com/lafma

Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association
http://www.facebook.com/SomersetWivenhoeFishStocking
StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 100, Hobie Quest 11,,Hobie PA & Tinny

Postby Titfish » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Nice report and well done on getting your target species in unfamiliar country. Great pics of the snakes too.

Ken
Titfish
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle Aust

Postby Dodge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 am

One of the magic locations to be fishing, nice trip Brad.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Postby Leper » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks for the comments, I must admit I love spotting snakes and getting a few photos. The wildlife on the rivers is part of what draws me to bass fishing. The Clarence is an amazing river and I plan on spending a bit more time here I think.

StevenM wrote:Let’s talk when the rains come

Yes we will!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby Titfish » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:52 am

StevenM wrote:Let’s talk when the rains come

You can probably make that phone call now.

Ken
Titfish
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle Aust

Return to Freshwater Reports