The gods were against me!

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

The gods were against me!

#1 Post by Ads22 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm

I headed out of town again Sunday to get away from the persistent wind we are experiencing closer to the coast in central Qld lately. Will it ever stop? I had a local yakker join me for the trip to a spot that I have enjoyed over the last few months with Saratoga and Leathery Grunter. To my surprise, the wind was pretty good for much of the day. Keen as mustard, we both arrived well before first light and were on the water in no time. There were plenty of small surface splashes, but could not raise a decent hit anywhere. We worked the main pool hard and couldn't muster more than a couple of Spangled Perch each. Even the biggest and best snags, in the dark, twilight or full light yielded nothing.

As the day wore on, I managed a few good hits and runs with the lure, surface and sub-surface, but every time the hook failed to set, despite having all brand new hooks. It became frustrating and I elected to push upstream to where I had caught my first Saratoga. The water was considerably down compared to my last trip up this way, 4-5 feet down! This surprised me as I thought we'd had a little rain, but perhaps not upstream of this area. This meant that what had been shallow trickles that I could paddle through became a long, arduous portage over river rocks, over 1km to the next pool. The fishing up here was poor, and my only good hook-up dropped soon after grabbing the lure, only to find a straightened hook and ample catfish slime!

I spooked a few toga and watched one swim straight past me, under my rod tip at one point. The most excitement for the day was surprising a family of pigs in a narrow stretch. They took a bit to spook, and one hid in the grass until I poked it with my paddle and it clambered off through the long grass and up the dry creek bed!
LittlePig1_M.jpg
RunPiggyRun_M.jpg
Hopefully the next trip is more fortunate and the fishing is more friendly!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Re: The gods were against me!

#2 Post by rocketV » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Hard to imagine water levels being down anywhere in qld at the moment! Do you think those porkers were domestic or feral?
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: The gods were against me!

#3 Post by Ads22 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Very much feral mate. If I was 'murican and packin' they could have been dinner! Somehow a filleting knife wouldn't have done so well!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Return to “Freshwater Reports”