Finally found a Frogmore barra **[Video added]**

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Finally found a Frogmore barra **[Video added]**

#1 Post by Ads22 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm

The wind continues to blow hard and I didn't expect to get out for another week or even more. About 11pm last night I decided I'd throw the gear in the ute ready for an early start, anticipating the wind being a bit lower than forecast. I woke this morning to pretty reasonable conditions with wind about 10km/h. That was a nice surprise, so jumped in the ute and headed to the Woolwash and Frogmore lagoons. It was glassed out when I arrived, so I quickly threw the gear in the yak and got underway. There was a heap of small fish surface action, but I couldn't raise any on surface or unweighted finesse frogz through the lilies.
20180408_055515_M.jpg
20180408_061941_S.jpg
20180408_062009_M.jpg
Into Frogmore, I switched to a Happy Rock Softies grub and took a little bump but no hook-up, then back to surface shortly after. I got a nice hit amongst the sticks, but again missed the hooks. I worked the sticks on surface for a while, then trolled my way toward the NE end of the lagoon. Near the middle of my run I hooked up to a good fish, but it ran me into a snag before I could get good control and my 6lb leader went twang. One lure down. Shortly thereafter I was trolling a similar lure on my 15lb leader setup and hooked up again. The wind had started blowing and I had trouble getting control. As I started getting things happening, I felt it run past a stick, then it seemed to free itself. A few pumps later and the fish was gone. This time it seems my knot must have released as the line didn't appear chaffed at all. Two lures down! Bugger! Both Atomic Shads in natural colours.

I worked back again and pulled into the weed to switch some lures over. As I started drifting with the lures out, I replaced my 6lb leader with a 12lb. As I drifted, I hooked up and was alerted by a splash in the distance behind me. This time managed to land the fish, a nice feisty Tarpon. Thankfully I had placed the first lock in my FG knot, so didn't have to lose my place! As I dealt with the fish, still drifting, my One Cast Lures Mini RomTom went off. I quickly landed and released a thick catfish, then was able to finish unhooking the Tarpon. I finished my leader replacement and clipped on a small Samaki Vibelicious in Pearl Shrimp. First cast, I was setting my drag and as I lifted the rod, it went off. Another Tarpon, this one subdued a little easier! I dropped another fish moments later, then quiet until the middle of the trolling run. The rod doubled over and I managed to bring a nifty 36cm Tilapia to the net. I re-set my troll/drift then flicked the vibe. Second cast I landed a 35cm Tilapia. The morning had gone from two bust offs to 5 fish landed in short time.
FrogTilapiaSelfie_M.jpg
I trolled back up the lagoon into the wind, which was quite brisk at times. My second camera ran out of battery as I reached the end of my run, and I sped up to get through some oncoming wind and reach the lilies to change battery and lures again for a repeat run. Before I could stop, my Pflueger 3-6kg rod went off, and the little Pflueger Salt Finesse 30x screamed. The rod stayed double as the line peeled off the reel. I turned and started the fight with a weighty fish. I called it for a barra after the second powerful run and my next thought was that I had the Lively Lures Mini Micro Mullet on this 15lb line and worked the fish a bit harder than I ought to have done. After the fish dug deep and I began to play it more carefully, a nice Barra surfaced and I realised it was actually on a Greedy Guts 44MDR. I managed to turn the head camera on with a flat battery which lasted about 35 seconds. It caught a little aerial display, and thankfully the hooks stayed pinned. As the camera signalled its shut down code, I netted the fish. A nice, healthy looking 610mm fresh water Barra. Both trebles were pinned, but had a straightened hook on each one. A tag went in, hopefully to find her in the salt some day.
FrogBarraAir1_M.jpg
FrogBarraAir3_M.jpg
20180408_104135_M.jpg
FrogBarraSelfie2_M.jpg
20180408_105404_M.jpg
I did another troll/drift down the lagoon, and back for no more fish, just a few bumps on the trolled lures then headed home. I was pretty happy by this stage to have landed a few fish including my target for the day, and to remove a couple of pests. Very glad I made the effort, even if I did have to battle the wind for the last two thirds of the morning. The glassy conditions to start made it well worth the trip, and getting the nice barra was definitely some pretty sweet icing!
20180408_125743_M.jpg
Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ads22 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Finally found a Frogmore barra

#2 Post by arpie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

WOW Go the GG & the barra!!! Well done!

Do you eat the Tilapia?

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#3 Post by rocketV » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Good report Ads, well done on that Barra! :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by Ads22 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:27 pm

arpie wrote:WOW Go the GG & the barra!!! Well done!

Do you eat the Tilapia?

cheers

Roberta
Would love to try it, but for the law. :?: Not allowed to keep them; bury or bin only. No release. Mouth brooder, so can't use as bait. Seems a bit wasteful, really.
rocketV wrote:Good report Ads, well done on that Barra! :cool:
Cheers Rocket. Was a fun session. Barra are always fun!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

#5 Post by unsinkable 2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 am

awesome work- that's a good session in anyone's books!
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

HoverDog
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton
Kayaks: El cheapo kayak2fish

#6 Post by HoverDog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 pm

The shit part of living on 50 acres is mowing the bugger, 5 acres of front verge, drive way and house yard kept me flat out all weekend. Really need to get out on this woolwash. Ads are you sure that you don't have a financial interest in this place, cos you really do sell it well. The pics look like you could sell it as a fishing spot to tourists. Nice work.

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#7 Post by Ads22 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 pm

HoverDog wrote:The shit part of living on 50 acres is mowing the bugger, 5 acres of front verge, drive way and house yard kept me flat out all weekend. Really need to get out on this woolwash. Ads are you sure that you don't have a financial interest in this place, cos you really do sell it well. The pics look like you could sell it as a fishing spot to tourists. Nice work.
I remember that part from growing up on a farm Hover! And the rest of the work. Takes up a lot of time. I'm busy enough as it is, but I use the fishing/yakking as my outlet. Good for mental health, usually.

Woolwash isn't too bad a place, but fishing can be pretty tough. Catching fish is only part of the trip, but is undoubtedly a very enjoyable part if you can get onto a few! Might be able to tee up a fish at some stage. Keeping my eyes open for a suitable window at Fishing Creek (north of Yeppoon), or Pumpkin Creek at Keppel Sands as haven't been there yet. Otherwise keen to get down to Pike's Landing near Awoonga. Might try and whack a trip post up in advance if I have enough forethought.
Yak PBs

WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

#8 Post by WayneD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:53 am

Ads22 wrote:Otherwise keen to get down to Pike's Landing near Awoonga. Might try and whack a trip post up in advance if I have enough forethought.
Always had good success there a few weeks after overflows when it gets restocked. :wink:
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

#9 Post by Ads22 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:41 pm

WayneD wrote:Always had good success there a few weeks after overflows when it gets restocked. :wink:
That's handy to know, I'll look to push into there in that sort of time frame in the future. Snuck out this morning before the wind went silly again. No barra, but got onto a school of Tarpon with a hit or hookup nearly every cast; then landed a chunky Tilapia. Busted off again when dragged into a snag, too.
Yak PBs

WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

#10 Post by WayneD » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Wow it's been four years since I've been there. Definitely time for another trip! I went there a few weeks earlier than this as well with even better results. I can't seem to find the post though.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=+barra
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Re: Finally found a Frogmore barra **[Video added]**

#11 Post by Ads22 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Have added video from this trip, to the original post.
Yak PBs

Return to “Freshwater Reports”