BRINDABELLA RANGES EPIC 3 DAY ODYSSEY

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Troopy67
2013 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: NSW
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, WS Aspire 100

BRINDABELLA RANGES EPIC 3 DAY ODYSSEY

#1 Post by Troopy67 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Haha well, not quite an odyssey but close enough for 2 novice yakkers with bugger-all experience! So it was that on Friday the 17th of Feb, myself & my mate Paddy left Sydney at 6am and headed due south-west for the ACT and into the Brindabella Ranges NP for a 3 day trip of camping, 4WDing and fishing. The (very rough) plan was to leave one of our trucks downriver from our campsite and then yak down to it & drive back to our camp. Neither of us seemed to mind the fact that we had no idea what the river conditions were like :idiot: or if there were portage options around any grade 4 rapids, downed logs, etc. :oops: I estimated the distance from camp to exit point to be under 5kms. Anyway we arrived at our chosen campsite at around 1pm. Set up camp & dropped Paddy's truck at the exit point. Back at camp we had a swim and after several beers we decided now was a good time to yak down a river that we knew pretty much bugger-all about . We decided not to take our fishing gear as this was more of a recce trip and if we made it through we would repeat it on day 2 with the rods so we loaded some more cans into the yaks and off we went..

Our camp

A few metres upriver from camp

Day1 - Let the yakkin' begin..
Not 5 mins from camp and the storm hits. Glad I had those cans..

Really felt like you were a million miles from anywhere..

Up ahead the river got a bit louder..I was really flying into this section and if it wasn't for the few cans I had, I doubt I would've risked a photo. Lucky for me I got the shot and was then able to run the yak onto the bank on the right side before I got in too close..

Paddy tips over on some rapids. Didn't lose his cans so it's all good..
Wisely, Paddy decides to bail & portage it around these rapids..
This spot above would prove productive on Day 2.
More to follow..

Troopy67

Re: BRINDABELLA RANGES EPIC 3 DAY ODYSSEY

#2 Post by Troopy67 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:06 pm

DAY 1 (continued)

The river was forever changing. Going from lots of little rapids & pebble races to quiet water and sometimes quite deep water with plenty of fallen logs/sunken timber...

Paddy going for another swim..

Nothing like a fire, some swine on the spit and a few more cans after a great yak adventure in glorious country. I had spied a few spots during our recce that I was sure had a good chance of holding some Trout. We would see tomorrow.. Lucky for us we were able to make it to the exit point where we'd left Paddy's truck without incident. There were a few tricky spots along the route and some portages over logs but we got through it with the only downside being that I spilt my beer a few times over some of the rapids.
There were a few anxious moments when we thought we may have overshot the exit point :conf: Pretty quickly I remembered that it would have been hard to miss as Pat's truck was visible from the river. :idiot:

DAY 2
We awoke to another glorious day. Coffee, bacon & eggs. Then we headed out for some 4WDing. Plenty of low range hills and scenic ridgetop driving to be had in this great place..
But the river was calling..
So as the sun came out & the temperature rose again, it was back to the exit point to drop off Paddy's Hilux..
And then back to camp to launch and off down the river we paddled again. This time with our rods & lures onboard...
No capsizes for Paddy today. Cracking the first one an hour later today must have helped...
We tried a deep section on a curve in the river & within a few casts i had the first Trout on. Unlucky but, he threw the hook before I could land him. Good thing Pat was closeby. He saw the colour too.
About 60m downriver we came to this section again...
This time I wasn't filming so I took a gamble and managed to shoot the yak straight through between the rock on the left and the tree-root on the right..May not look it to you but this section was fairly hard, believe me!..
More to follow...

Troopy67

#3 Post by Troopy67 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:43 pm

DAY 2 (continued)

After I went through the chute in that last pic, I nosed the yak onto this little rock/pebble section. It also had a small creek flowing into it on the opposite bank. I thought this looked like another spot likely to hold a Trout...

There was some large sunken logs here with some fast flowing + quiet water. I started to cast over one of the large logs and within a minute I was on again. One nice Rainbow Trout...
I was more than happy to release any fish I caught here as it's such a great place. It gave me an awesome feeling just to be kayaking and catching fish in this pristine wilderness on such a glorious day :glad:

We continued on down the river...
Some people don't understand what they're missing...

Portage time...
We saw a few more Trout dart out from cover around this area and further on but we couldn't entice any of the bludgers to swallow a lure...

Well that's about it. All in all this was a top trip and a great adventure. The only downside was it ended too quick. I just can't wait to do it all again.
Anyone interested?..?? :grin:

A few more random pics..
Cheers

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

#4 Post by nqkayaktours » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:48 pm

Excellent stuff. Loved it. Some great scenery there. No wonder you didnt want to come back. The campsite was a great looking spot also. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

Troopy67

#5 Post by Troopy67 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks Ian. Too right mate. Just a damn shame work stops some of us doing it more often! I'd do it again next weekend if I didn't have to work.

simons rat
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: brisbane

#6 Post by simons rat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks for posting that. What a great looking place.

A weekend camping, yakking and fishing in a place like that, a good mate, a few cans ... that is what life is all about.

thanks again,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler ... 258444623/

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#7 Post by arpie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Great report & pics!! Well done on your trout too!! I haven't been down there since a camping trip back in 1972!!! OMG THat was an AGE ago!! :lek:
cheers
Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

#8 Post by nqkayaktours » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 pm

VK1 wrote:Thanks Ian. Too right mate. Just a damn shame work stops some of us doing it more often! I'd do it again next weekend if I didn't have to work.
Unless it is work. :wink: :grin: :lol:

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

Troopy67

#9 Post by Troopy67 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks for your comments all. Something I noticed was in some sections along the river the Blackberry thorns have really taken over but the good thing I suppose is that it makes access extremely difficult overland so therefore the nice Trout pools are harder to fish. Unless you're in a yak :gu: .

By the way, in case there are any extreme Greens viewing. We did not cut the wood in the photo onsite. We cut it outside the boundaries of the NP and we just put the chainsaw on top for the pic. :fg:

Troopy67

#10 Post by Troopy67 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:15 pm

nqkayaktours wrote:
VK1 wrote:Thanks Ian. Too right mate. Just a damn shame work stops some of us doing it more often! I'd do it again next weekend if I didn't have to work.
Unless it is work. :wink: :grin: :lol:

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Some people have all the luck. Bastard :grin:

Haynesy
Club Co-ordinator
Kayaks: Jackson Kilroy

#11 Post by Haynesy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 am

simons rat wrote:A weekend camping, yakking and fishing in a place like that, a good mate, a few cans ... that is what life is all about.
Absolutely. Too true. Thats a different level of adventure altogether to what I'm used to. I'm starting to think about a 4wd. Both those rigs look unreal. Thanks for a great report.

sharksaus
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Southern Highlands , Illawarra and Shoalhaven
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Malibu Mini X Stealth 9

#12 Post by sharksaus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:36 am

What a great report mate :cool:
Top pics of the river and surrounding areas and to have mates and a few beers as well wow, thats heaven.
Looks like a lot of fun in the rapids and making your way through the log jams.
Id love to do something like that one day
Awesome stuff
:grin:
NSW SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS KAYAK FISHO'S
NSW SOUTH COAST KAYAK FISHO'S

YAK PB: Flathead 55 cm: Bream 35 cm Fork: Carp 68 cm : Estuary Perch 34cm Fork : Bass 38.5cm Fork : Tailor 58 cm : Jewfish 80cm : Redfin 33cm :Leather Jacket 29cm :Yellowbelly 54cm :Murray Cod 58cm : Whiting 30cm fl : Toad 25cm :Snapper 26cm:

jindydiver
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: snowy mtns

#13 Post by jindydiver » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 am

What a great report, good on you for the effort.

Can you tell us what part of the river you were on?

Troopy67

#14 Post by Troopy67 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:27 pm

Haynesy wrote:
simons rat wrote:A weekend camping, yakking and fishing in a place like that, a good mate, a few cans ... that is what life is all about.
Absolutely. Too true. Thats a different level of adventure altogether to what I'm used to. I'm starting to think about a 4wd. Both those rigs look unreal. Thanks for a great report.
Mate that is the great thing about a 4WD - It gives you what you need to access those unspoilt or lesser visited places. I always camp remote if I can. Now that I'm into yak fishing, I'm always looking for somewhere I can take the yak that requires 4WD to access.
In regards to the rigs, I have spent enough on mine to keep ARB in business for years. I have all I need on board for remote trips including an Engel fridge, winch, Hema Navigator, recovery gear, 40L water tank, rear air locker, side awning, hot water shower + more.

Sharksaus - It was great thanks mate. Pics can only give you an idea of just how good it was.

Jindydiver - Don't really want to put it out on here but if anyone wants to know more details, just shoot me a PM.

Better still, if you want to visit let me know and we might be able to organise a trip sometime.
Cheers

NarraJosh
2013 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Central Coast
Kayaks: Emotion Advant-Edge SIK, Hobie PA 14

#15 Post by NarraJosh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Great pics and report mate, love the look of that water! If only i had a 4WD :cry:

Thanks for sharing!
PB's: Australian Salmon 620mmFL, Bass 470mm FL (Wild), Bass 430mm FL (Dam), Bream 435mm FL, Estuary Perch 445mm FL, Flathead 745mm, Mulloway 850mm, Murray Cod 715mm Redfin 200mm Tailor 520mmFL

Return to “Freshwater Reports”