Blocked fish ladders Napean River

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Aussie54
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney metro, upper Nepean River & South Coast
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel

Re: Blocked fish ladders Napean River

#16 Post by Aussie54 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Went for an eplore last Monday morning. Weir in photos still fully blocked and I stress fully. Chock a block with sand from bottom to top in every section/segment/lock. Sand has been removed down to grate level but then nothing below grates except sand and no sign of machinery. Strangely enough though the largest bass I caught was upstream of the weir. With the flood in early June, it may be the case that not all bass had migrated downstream at that point in time. This has restored my faith in the river. This was the first freshwater outing this summer as I got dejected upstream of Douglas Park ealier this year (up near Allens Creek) when I saw lots of bubbles in lots of different spots literally just like a kettle boiling and not a touch nor was a fish caught Friggin CSG I would suspect was the cause and reason. Wayne.

mouse
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SEQ

#17 Post by mouse » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:55 am

Aussie54 wrote: I saw lots of bubbles in lots of different spots literally just like a kettle boiling and not a touch nor was a fish caught Friggin CSG I would suspect was the cause and reason. Wayne.
On a recent trip to Borumba Dam (SEQ), one section of the dam had numerous gas releases emerging, one large release that measured approx. 5 metres in diameter and spewed for 10+ minutes. Scarey stuff!! :cry: :cry:

Throughout the day we spotted several hundred dead or dying bony bream.
Is this the demise of our drinking water as well as local river systems, all for money.
Bloody sad state of affairs if you ask me, our children and grandchildren will miss out because of greed. :devil: :grr:
Cheers,
Kym

johnnyk15
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: camden
Kayaks: Old Town Vapour Angler 10

#18 Post by johnnyk15 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:33 pm

i caught what i estimated a 50cm bass this season even with the weirs being blocked so im not worried to much on the fishing front still plenty of fish about. that bubble area at douglas park is upsetting isnt it i went up that way last week its really bad on the plus side for some reason i didnt feel the need to light up a smoke for a while either side of that area haha

Jigglin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: NW Slayer Propel 13 & 10

#19 Post by Jigglin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Aussie54 wrote: This was the first freshwater outing this summer as I got dejected upstream of Douglas Park ealier this year (up near Allens Creek) when I saw lots of bubbles in lots of different spots literally just like a kettle boiling and not a touch nor was a fish caught Friggin CSG I would suspect was the cause and reason. Wayne.
I didn't realise there were so many CSG wells on the upper Nepean, till I had a look at the NSW Coal Seam Gas Map, crazy stuff.

Aussie54
KFDU Angler

#20 Post by Aussie54 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Still blocked, but that didn't stop me catching several bass, 2 measuring 32cms FL.

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

#21 Post by Beardypaul » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:53 am

Hi all, just been down to the weir behind Camden air port, and the Fish ladder has been cleaned out. It's operating quite well.
I'll assume that the team has been around the other weirs, and fish ladders as well. It took some time, but at least it's now done.

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#22 Post by Beardypaul » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:51 pm

The ladder behind Camden air port now cleared.
Tried posting this this morning but for some reason it didn't go, so if it appears twice you know why.

Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

#23 Post by Ozzybass » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Beardypaul wrote:Hi all, just been down to the weir behind Camden air port, and the Fish ladder has been cleaned out. It's operating quite well.
I'll assume that the team has been around the other weirs, and fish ladders as well. It took some time, but at least it's now done.
Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have any news about the other ones up and downstream from that one?

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#24 Post by Beardypaul » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:20 pm

ladder now clear.

bass bash
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: upper nepean river3

#25 Post by bass bash » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Let"s hope they are working their way down river as brownlow is still full of sand. Sand has been removed from grates, but no sign of machinery been there.
Jeff

johnnyk15
KFDU Angler

#26 Post by johnnyk15 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm

I work out near the brownlow loop weir and seen a king vacuum truck go in and out of the property that backs down onto the weir so I'm guessing they would be using that truck to suck the sand out of the fish ladder? Any news on the Theresa park weir?

Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

#27 Post by Ozzybass » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info johnnyk. Good news.

clutch
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

#28 Post by clutch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Fished above blocked weirs and caught 12, with about 4 30 cm, but nothing over 30 cm. Normally would hope for a 35 or 37 with that volume of fish. Caught most on Kokoda Bat, and a few on River 2 Sea Bug. Dropped 4. All fish caught between 6.45 pm and 8.30 pm in 200 meter stretch of Upper Nepean.
Pretty cool session.
Clutch.
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 50 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike

Aussie54
KFDU Angler

#29 Post by Aussie54 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Johnnyk15 would be correct. Was there today and the fish ladder has been cleared of sand, well 98% I suppose. There was still traces of sand but all flowing. There seems to be follow work needed though with hold down bolts not yet reinstated and debris not moved from the big black pipe surface debris deflector as it is still sitting in the air and not floating on the water as it should to deflect floating debris from entering the fish ladder.

A few bass caught and released (about 1/2 dozen or so) nothing to rave about, was a quiet morning, biggest only 30cm FL.

johnnyk15
KFDU Angler

#30 Post by johnnyk15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:30 am

Any news on the weir at Theresa park?

Return to “Freshwater Reports”