50cm Cracker of a Bass on Day 1 of Bass Open Season!

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.

50cm Cracker of a Bass on Day 1 of Bass Open Season!

Postby arpie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi guys

It's been blowing a gale here in the last week or so, making it very uncomfortable to fish in my little yak ..... I drove around Green Point, Pacific Palms & the Keys the other day in the hope of finding a spot out of the wind but it was not to be .....

I reckon it's been pretty well 2 years since my last dedicated Bass Outing - and even then it was in Qld! .... living in Forster as i do, you have to drive a fair way to get to dedicated Bass Waters ..... so I tend to take the easier option & go SW fishing instead of Freshwater!! :idiot:

I had one spot in mind & thought I'd give it a crack! It is a small system - sometimes you get no fish, sometimes you get one fish - only once have I caught MORE than the one fish!
P9010019.jpg

I also have a box of Spinnerbaits (small medium & large, as well as the topwater 'clacker' ones) ..... do you think I could find them? They are in the garage 'somewhere' .....I'd hooked a small bass on one of the smaller ones some time back & was keen to have as many options with me as possible!

It was quite late (by bass terms) to be on the water .... after 10am - some would have been out at midnight, to hit the water the second it became 'legal' to target them again! LOL I slept in, had a shower, leisurely breakfast .... hehe, the truth is - Keith had the car & had gone for a run on 9 Mile Beach - so I had to wait for him to come back! :?:

Down dusty dirt backroads to 'my spot' ..... I get the yak in the water and start fishing. I ALWAYS start off with topwater (no matter the time of day) cos they will still bite - my previous PB there was from a topwater in mid morning, landing right on a snag - it went 45cm & scared the hell out of me when it boofed the lure! :lol: Funnily enough - that was on another KFDU social Comp - but I'd somehow covered up the Comp Number in the photo with the big fish & had to disqualify myself - as I didn't check the pic before putting the fish back! :beye: DUH! I check most pics these days! :grin:

Back to this outing ..... after putting the yak in .... I saw something hanging from a tree branch ..... going closer, I could see that a topwater lure was hanging down! hehe, first 'win' for the day!
P9010001.jpg

20 mins + of NOTHING - not one touch - on Topwater - which really surprised me, as there were lots of snags & shadowy bits to cast at! Oh dear - what to try next, I ask myself? I don't often use diving lures there, as there are so many big submerged trees/logs etc you are always catching up on them!! Hang the consequences - I'll try a 'diver'!! I had a nice gold/silver/orange med dive Crackjack in the side well of the yak. With the deeper diving lures - the BIB will BOUNCE off the branches/logs preventing snagging up, whereas the 'shallow' diving lures will often snag up, as the hooks drag across them!

I put it on & cast it 'between' 2 snags ..... I knew that there were HEAPS of unseen snags underneath .... Retrieving it really slowly, I could feel it bumping over submerged branches - and I felt a 'nudge' - and luckily didn't snag up on the log! Then I felt a 2nd 'nudge'! It didn't feel particularly 'big' at this point in time ...... then it grabbed the lure & it all started! :lek:

Surprisingly, the fight didn't last all that long, given the size of the fish!! I think I had it in the net within a matter of 4-5 seconds!! Mind you, I was using my 'racks rod' - my Matrix, with 18lb braid & 14lb leader, with the drag pretty well 'done up'!! :gu:

As it approached the yak, I could see it was a 'biggie'!! SO big, I think it was almost 'docile'!! Normally a fish of this size would take you under any structure that it can find!! Not this one!!
50cm bass on Crackjack.jpg

In the net! (Phew!)
P9010003.jpg

It was BIG! That is NOT on zoom ..... that is the fish just sitting in my lap!
P9010004.jpg

And FAT!
P9010017.jpg

On the Lie Detector, it went 50cm! A Trophy Fish! :lek:
P9010008.jpg

A BIG smile on the dial
P9010014.jpg

I continued fishing for some hours - and didn't even SEE another fish, let alone hook one!! I tried topwater, diving, SPs on spin ..... I could feel the lures bumping over structure & maybe I felt the odd 'tap' that 'could have been a fish' - or was I just 'wanting it to be a fish'??

It is SO funny how BAD my casting got as I tried to get the lure closer & closer to the structure - and these are only 'some' of my stuffups LOL ...... all I can say is - if you DON'T have a 12ft+ extending lure retriever ..... you are going to lose a lot of lures!! :lol: I had to extend it fully to get THIS lure out of the tree! :oops:
P9010020.jpg

Some of my other monumental hookups ....
P9010015.jpg

Almost impossible to get the hooks out of these reeds!
P9010023.jpg

Who would believe this tiny tree root would hold on SO TIGHT?
P9010024.jpg

At the end of the day, once the sun had dropped off the water and the wind came up - the windchill factor was AMAZING! I had 3 layers on & was considering putting my rain jacket on, to stop the cold!! Make sure you take warm clothing if starting early and/or finishing later!!

All up, I was STOKED to be able to hook & land a 50cm Wild River Bass - it is the fish of dreams for all of us!! Not 'quite' a 'unicorn' - but close to it! In the systems around Taree & Wingham there are bass that go to 60cm ...... but only 1 that I know of has ever been landed!! :re:

Don't stop dreaming of big bass - get out there & give it a go. Cast to every snag, every shadow - and don't assume you have to go to BIG rivers to catch decent fish!! :wink:

Tight Lines & keep living the dream

cheerio

Roberta

Hmmmm .... Driving home yesterday afternoon - as I approached Tuncurry, I noticed the 50kph zone approaching & lifted my foot from the pedal, but I was still on Cloud 9, reliving the capture of my big bass - and I didn't notice that I was still 'somewhat' over the speed limit ...... when I saw a Cop Car turning the corner & coming towards me! Glancing at the speedo, I was still somewhat over & stamped on the brake ..... but he didn't chuck a Uie & chase me - so I think that is a 'good thing' .... or do you think I may still find a little surprise in my mailbox sometime soon? I hope not!! :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arpie on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Cracker of a Bass on Day 1 of Bass Open Season!

Postby Grimbo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Well done Roberta! Can't complain about a one fish session when it's a horse like that!
That'll definitely give you some solid points on the leader board!
Cheers for a great report.
Yak PB's
75cm Carp, 75-80cm Murray Cod, 48cm Yella, 38cm FL Redfin, 31cm FL Bass, 52cm Flathead, 41cm Bream
Grimbo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra, South Coast
Kayaks: Mad River Adventure 14, 2014 Hobie Outback

Postby slim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:37 pm

What an absolute horse of a fish. Well done Roberta that is a great report as always.
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.
slim
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

Postby allane » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Thats a monster definitely a fish to be proud of. Hopefully something of that magnificent will end up on my lure this season. I did manage a 38fl as well as a few 30s today but those were from the tinny :roll:
Started fishing at 11.30am. A hot sunny day but plenty of fish sitting in the shadows. Hopefully kayak next week.
Yak PBs: Bream 38cm FL, Bass 46cm FL, Estuary Perch 36cm FL, Flathead 61cm, Whiting 43cm, Luderick 41cm, Silver Trevally 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm
allane
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Woolgoolga
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Feelfree Nomad, Feelfree Move.

Postby Pollycraft » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Thumper! What a way to start the season.
Cheers,
Brad
Pollycraft
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Armidale, New England and Coffs
Kayaks: Adventure Island

Re: 50cm Cracker of a Bass on Day 1 of Bass Open Season!

Postby arpie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks guys .... it WAS an amazing start to my bass season!! LOL Normally I don't fish for bass, so it was a DOUBLE bonus, really! :gu:

.... I did manage a 38fl as well as a few 30s today....
Well done Allane ..... did they have much fight? Or were they a bit sluggish?? Now get the yak out! :gu:

....Thumper!...
Thanks, mate - not one that I expected to happen, either! :lol:

....What an absolute horse of a fish...
Still can't believe it, Slim .... Starlo reckons the sluggish fight was due to the lower water Temp .... watch out in a month or two, he reckons!! :wink: :wink:

... Can't complain about a one fish session when it's a horse like that...
Thanks mate. I was STOKED!! :lek:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Rory222 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Is there any fish you can't catch??? You are a master no matter what the species. That is one horse of a bass!!!

Well done and see you tomorrow!
Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 60cm
Yellowbelly - 47cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 42cm
Whiting - 38cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 34cm
Tarwhine - 36cm
Carp - 74cm
River Blackfish - 15cm
Rory222
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Riverina & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

Postby Brendon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 am

Great fish and a good read as always Roberta .
Thanks for sharing!
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Postby Ozzybass » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:54 am

Crikey Roberta! :cool: :drib: :drib: Was that from the river you met me at a few years ago?
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass

Postby Titfish » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:43 am

Well done Roberta. That sort of takes care of business as far as the bass season is concerned. A 50 first day.

Just so we can read about it and see pics, can you get an upgrade soon?

Cheers
Ken
Titfish
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle Aust

Postby Mackayak » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:02 am

What a grate start would love to get one that size. :drib: :glad:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 31.5cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 32cm;
Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

Postby Ads22 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:07 am

Smashing effort arpie. Now to nab a nice barra! I'm yet to fish for bass, but hopefully will get a go at it some time soon.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby Bwak » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Wow! Great read and a cracking bass! Well done!
Bwak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast

Postby Ray7 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Wow a cracker of bass well done and a great report as well, love reading your reports keep them coming.

Ray
Hobie Outback, Malibu Sierra 10
Grandkid - 6
Stocked Bass 50cm / Wild Bass 42cm Barramundi 110cm /Sooty Grunter 47cm.
Bream 28cm / Big eye Travelly 32cm/Snapper 48cm.
Whiting 34cm / Flathead 70cm, Cod 75cm, Yellowbelly 47cm.
Happy Moments 29cm (Black Travelly- Siganus Nebulosus)

Member of the Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Kayak Fishing Club
Ray7
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland/ To Hunter in NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback -- Malibu Sierra 10

Postby pazz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Holy moly thats a solid fish.
Well done Arpie
Cheers
Steve
pazz
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour / Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 105, 2015 Revo 13

Next

Return to Freshwater Reports